MB's Official Polish thread... Updated...7/5/14 Polished AX

You should polish some YYJ Rings :).

YYR Sleipnir polishedā€¦

I just recently purchased this Sleipnir off the BST. It came in a fairly beat red ano. See anything different? Probably not right? This polish job was done 100% without the use of any blast of any sort and more interestingly ZERO sandpaper. Thatā€™s right no sandpaper of any sort. Right from ano to polish.

Whatā€™s the big deal? Basically means that a once anoā€™d yoyo is now polished with no loss of material to the yoyo. The polishing itself does in fact cause loss but I think we all know that would be splitting hairs. Best way to maintain the true weight and shape of the yoyo as far as Iā€™m concernedā€¦

Did you just strip it& use a polish?

Yes a strip but no polish.

So, itā€™s not polished just stripped of ano?

What Iā€™ve found is this only works well when the yoyo has a smooth anodized finish. If itā€™s beadblasted, you will need to do some sanding. The anodize on YYJ yoyos causes the yoyo to turn black during the stripping, so that will need some sanding too. The anodize on most YYFs comes off very nicely. And Iā€™ve found that yoyos made from 7075 Al also turn dark during the chemical stripping process. Did you use any steel wool or was it strictly metal polish?

No polish no wool. This puppy was pitch black after strip.

So how did you get the yoyo so shiny then? A tumbler?

No tumbler.

Itā€™s sorcery I tell ya, sorcery!!!

So you want a dream project and my top secrets?

Sometimes when you close your eyes and just hope for the best ya get lucky.

Tell us! Pwease :).

And if you donā€™t we will have you hanged for witchcraft.

1 Like

HANGED YA HEAR HANGED!!!

And then we will powdercoat you!!!

Seem to have done that already.

Is he made out of wood? Wood floats. What else floats? Ducks! Does he weight more than a duck??

ā€¦?