Maxi-lock vs. Wooly nylon

Hey guys I’m looking to buy some more nylon for making string, and I was just wondering what you guys think the best nylon is. I have been using Maxi-lock, but I get the impression that Wooly is more popular. Is there any real difference between the two? If so what do you prefer? I’d appreciate any input. Thanks!

1 Like

Yes.

Wooly is a LOT more “springy” once spun into its final string form.

They’re both pretty silky soft though.

1 Like

Thanks for the input. I’m still trying to figure out if I like springy or not so I will definitely consider that. I do love how soft maxi is though so I’m glad to hear wooly is similar!

2 Likes

I personally use YLI wooly nylon and have come up with a system where I actively stretch the thread while twisting and then also hard-stretch the finished string. In the end it comes out as a dense, textured, super durable string that I really enjoy. It has just enough bounce to absorb the shock when the yoyo hits the bottom of the string but otherwise is quite tame. Also, I find that the various colours have considerably different feels so I recommend trying various colours out. And mixing colours produce a better string than using a single colour.

1 Like

Kinda crazy different colors of the same stuff have different feels. I tend to stretch the thread quite a bit when I make string as well.

1 Like