Maurice Chavez Appreciation Thread (AKA @yoyodoc)

He’s known on this forum as “yoyodoc” and generally as “Mo”, but I figured I’d use his spelled-out moniker in an appreciation thread title, as it’s a classy name. Mo was one of the first Area 51 yo-yo modders and won the World’s Yo-Yo Modding Competition multiple times back in the day. He used to post amazing 3-D photos of his creations on the forums and was instrumental in the design of several offerings in the YoYoJam line. If you happen to have any yo-yos that have been “Mo-bilized” please post photos here. I’ll start off:

This is one of my all-time favorite yo-yos. It is a cut-down Freehand 1 fitted with Henry’s Viper shells. I let a kid play with this at Nationals one time and he didn’t want to give it back to me. He pleaded with Mo to make him one!

17 Likes

Mo fixed my Avalanche i fell onto while rollerskating. Went from a pulse vibey paperweight to a pretty smooth EDC! Very kind and talented fellow.

7 Likes

I can’t wait to see some pics! I wish there was more modding going on these days. Maybe it’s time to start!!

6 Likes

You all need to check out @yoyodoc 's channel lots of helpful tips

4 Likes

One of my favorite Mo mods was a kidnapped and later ransomed bulldog. His yoyojam models were some of my favorites, so much so I modeled a prototype off of one of them. I used to talk to him in the old yoyo chat rooms and I finally met him at the nationals in LA a few years ago. I’ll be honest I thought he would be taller with more hair :joy: but other than that it was awesome catching up with someone I had talked to for 15 years at that point.

4 Likes

Here’s another:

This is a Playmaxx Stunt Pilot fitted with weight rings and Henry’s Viper hubs, one black anodized, the other POLISHED. Pretty swank.

3 Likes