March 7th. Frank Difeos Birthday

We all pretty much know by now that a tragic and unexpected event occurred, and Frank didn’t quite make it to his birthday.

But that being said, today is his birthday, and even though a great number of guys offered some wonderful entries into the rest in peace thread, I was thinking there’s gotta be some real good stories and images of Frank at various contest and events, etc.

I would Encourage anybody that has an image of themselves with Frank, or has taken a picture of Frank with somebody else or just images of Frank at various venues, please post them in this thread.

My feeling is that when a guy or a girl or whoever has a birthday every year for 70 years, that their passing should not just make their birthday stop and become eventless. Every year we celebrate president’s birthdays. I have no problem with that. Amazingly some of the presidents birthdays that we celebrate are men that did good things and bad things during the course of their terms. But we still without fail, celebrate their birthdays.

Here we got something else going on. Frank has never really done anything wrong. His primary goal in life was to help people and generate good feelings. He achieved both and then some.

So, even though he’s not here with us today, we are here for him today.

Please post up if you have ‘something’.

Happy Birthday Frank…

52 Likes

I never really knew frank, but after reading through all his things and other info I realized who he was. Just another one of us. I feel you doc, but instead of being sad, we should be grateful that he was here in the first place, being a nice guy. And I bet you he was happy that he was able to reach his goal. He just tried to make people happy, and that made him happy too. Happy bday frank :cake::cake::cake:

10 Likes

17 Likes

I remember when YoMike, the proprietor of TheYo store and forum passed. Frank contacted me to see how we (admins/mods) were all doing and what the future held for the store and forum and offering his regards and support. He was a very kind and considerate man.

Happy Birthday Frank!

13 Likes

When worlds was in Orlando, I was always running around and crossing through the pool deck area was usually one of the quicker paths across the hotel. I’d always see Frank and his wife out there smoking and in the evenings we would get a beer and talk.

7 Likes

I knew Frank. I tried for years to license the outer race on the konkave. He would never budge. I respected him for that, he knew what he had because he was a genius. I spent many an hour talking to Frank late at night at the shop, calling him long distance from California and he always had time even for a nobody like me. Frank was the O.G. One man band, I think the only other person even close is Ernie, another machining genius and all around good YoYo guy. I could never afford a corvette but I could afford the corvette of yo-yos and I have acquired a few over the years, a little bit of Frank’s unique touch in each and every one. Ernie always told me that “Franks stuff is classy” and it is just like its maker. Happy Birthday Buddy.

12 Likes

Frank was like a brother. When I met him a few decades ago, we talked like we already had known each other for years.

He use to call me a few weeks before Nationals. He would say, ‘Heya Mo, you going to Nats’?

I’m not sure at the moment.

He would say, ‘If you go, I’ll go. If you aren’t going, I won’t bother’.

I would tell him, don’t put it on me, brother. You are the one that needs to go. You have an ongoing Business. You ‘Need’ to be there. People want to talk to you. Drum up some business…answer questions…give opinions… think tank with other innovators, etc. I love Nationals but I don’t have to be there. I don’t have a Business and I am not a critical component at any contest, lol.

He would say, ‘yah, I guess, but I’m already backed up at the Shop and if I go, I will just fall farther behind……so you gonna go’?

I would say, ‘Yes, I will go just so you won’t have another reason to not go’.

So…. I would meet him in the Lobby of the Holiday Inn. We would talk for a few minutes and then sure as heck, somebody would step into the Lobby to check in and say, ‘Hi Frank, just the guy I was looking for’. So I would tell Frank, I’ll catch you later homie.

Friday night…… all day Saturday through the evening……Sunday morning we would either go to breakfast or just meet down at the Birdinhand as people were getting ready to leave back home after saying their goodbyes and buying a few things at the toy store.

Frank and I would say goodbye and he would thank me for getting him to ‘Show up’. He would say, ‘I’m glad I made it. It was very productive running into some interesting motivating ideas and drumming up some more Business. But Mo, we never really got to hang out.

Frank would say, ‘it takes you about into 10 hours to drive back home. I might actually beat you home again. After you get home and unpack, call me up and we will talk.

I would laugh for at least a minute or two😂.

It was an amazing cycle that repeated itself on and off for some time.

If… I make it to my 73rd Birthday on March 18th, I can tell you without hesitation, that I have known many people around my ‘vintage’ that are ‘no longer living’ from one cause or another.

I’ve lost both parents in the last 4 years… and my favorite Uncle… and my best childhood friend…and. No doubt anybody that bothers to read this post, has lost somebody special, so this experience is nothing new to many.

But, something in my mind tells me that I don’t think anybody younger than me should die before me. Just the way I feel.

Frank, being younger, very close and passing so suddenly, really knocked me flat!

This post isn’t written to compare who feels the Worst.

And I ‘seldom’ use the word ‘hope’.

But I Hope that nobody feels worse about Difeo passing than I do.

Because if you do, I have a damn good idea of how you feel, sadly.

It is said that the passing of time, mends the heart.

We will see.

24 Likes

The Man

7 Likes