Manatee doesn't have any power?

At least I’m not crazy if others have the same issue. Let us know how it goes:) I have played with bimetals but usually with mono metals so that’s not it, the bearing it came with was alright I did have to clean it tho. But I tried a bunch of different bearings so that wasn’t it.

Yep that’s probably it. Lol😂

1 Like

My Banana Hammock does this. It plays amazingly smooth but it dies out pretty quick. As a result I hardly throw it. If I get an Opportunity I’ll probably trade it.

I don’t care how you cut it…that just didn’t sound right ;D

Yep. That’s exactly what I thought about my manatee.

More power confirmed after fresh sili

Thats good! Maybe that’s what it was? It’s just weird because I bought it brand new and they seemed like they were pretty fresh. Oh well. I’ll give it a another try someday. I probably won’t be buying it again anytime soon just because there’s so much other stuff to try but if I get the chance through trade I definitely will.

Im actually slowly upgrading most of my throws to sili…the only ones i havent touched are MFD, OD, and G2.

Any other thoughts? If I bought it again and made sure it had good pads, would it really make that much of a difference or would it be pretty much the same?

Any other thoughts? If I bought it again and made sure it had good pads, would it really make that much of a difference or would it be pretty much the same?

Or would I be better off with a different caribou yoyo? Suggestions for that? Thanks! :wink:

If you didn’t like it the first time, chances are pretty good you won’t like it the second time. Higher expectations will set you up for disappointment if it’s not perfect, so pass on it.

1 Like

I have tried a few yoyos for second times and for the most part I end up getting rid of the yoyo very fast. Only once have I turned out really liking the yoyo the second time around (the horizon). If you want to put the time and money into it, go for it, but don’t set expectations too high.

Yeah ok that makes sense. Thanks for the help. Any suggestions on other clyws around that same price point?

I agree with what jhb said above about just passing on it. But to throw out another option, if you’d like to try it again, I’ve seen a number of Manatee’s on the BST for as low as $40. May be worth it to keep an eye out for a cheap used one if you really want to try it again. That way if you don’t like it, you could pretty much resell it and get your money back.

Ok thanks for the help and advice everyone. I didn’t mean to start this thread to hate on clyw by any means and I know they make lots of great yoyos I was just asking if it was just mine and if should give it another try. I would hate for someone to be browsing the web and find this thread and then be scared away from buying a manatee or some other clyw. So if that’s you then don’t listen to this thread and go ahead and give clyw and the sea cow a try😊.

I felt similarly about The Seed which was Riccardo’s sig back when he was with X3. The width and weight distribution just lend themselves to his laid back play style, but don’t work if you’re looking for fast, strong, bimetal-like power. Power is very subjective and depends a lot on the player and their goals, as the replies here show. Sure most yoyos have more than enough spin and energy for almost everything, but some just feel a lot more capable and nice on the throw than others.

I’m a solid every day manatee player, but I wouldn’t say it plays weak. The spin time and power has felt great. The conclusion I’d come to is that you probably just have a much higher preference for more powerfully spinning yoyos. Maybe? That’s my thought.

Bird doesn’t seem to have any problem playing the Manatee as a “power” yoyo and Riccardo gets through some pretty insane tricks with it, so maybe something with this kind of width just isn’t working for you. I’ve been using it for 5A lately without any problems, but I’ll admit that it took a while (like, months) for it to really click for me.

Playing with anything that has that kind of width is an adjustment. Sorry it didn’t work out for you, and hopefully you can find something else from our product line that suits you better. :slight_smile:

Honestly (and I am prepared to accept the hate i normally get when I bring this up, it doesnt faze me) I would try new string. Kitty sucks imho, and kitty fat is even worse. Sure it binds easy, but it binds weak and flimsy, leading to wimpy spin times and lacking power in the throws, not to mention it burns out after a few measly hours and needs a replace (lame). I say try a thinner string (preferably a different brand, not totally nessesary) and I bet dollars to donuts that your power increases by alot.

I could be wrong, but like I said, kitty is known for its cheapness, not its goodness. and i also found thick/fat strings make binds easy but weak. Try a new thinner string and see how that goes.

Ive been rocking the manatee since day 1. I loved it so much I bought 2. I never once found it lacking in power or stability. Its speed was more than enough and lent itself to some extreme playtime. Does it spin like my Valkyrie? no, but its not weak by a long shot.

Manatee is in my top 5 and Ive been fortunate to throw alot of different throws.