Making fixies out of?

Any yoyos made out of a used Noble Fir? After Christmas? Not wanting to get one… of course

Just… have you made any out of a Christmas tree after Christmas?

3 Likes

Certainly could. You’d need the dry the wood. It’d be awhile before you could use the wood to make something. I’ve got maple drying right now from a tree that came from my grandfather’s house. It’s been drying around 6-8 months now.

2 Likes

I tried but the branches and needles kept getting tangled in the string and the decorations would keep falling off.

5 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You gonna make a yoyo? Would like to see the result!

I’ve had a few plans for awhile for a fixed axle and a metal responsive. No plans exactly for the maple I have drying right now. Need to split it still, it’s a 16" diameter x 48" long log right now.

No idea when I’ll get around to realizing the yoyo plans though, they’re a “would be nice to do” but not a priority.

3 Likes

While it looks good, noble fir is far too soft to be used in making a yoyo.

It’s hardness is about a third of red oak.

2 Likes

Here comes the wood expert to tell me :wink:

I’m no expert. I know just enough to make wooden yoyos.

4 Likes

But expert wooden yoyo’s!

4 Likes

Thanks for the kind words!

3 Likes

It would be interesting to see what you make, @AaronW . I get the feeling you are a man of very refined tastes in wooden fixed axle yoyos.

3 Likes

Thanks Glen. If I ever get around to making any, and there are no customs issues I’ll send one your way. One of my ideas is to make very limited runs of the ideas I have. Have about 6 fixed axles I’d like to make. Thinking no more than 10 of each, and about half of each run will be given to friends and the other half sold to try to break even on materials :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m sure they’ll be good!

1 Like