Making a decision between six yoyos; $100+ range

Alright guys, I’m gonna need some help here. I will be recieving a (late) Christmas gift from my dad soon and I gotta make a decision. No idea what his price range will be so I’ll assume the worst, that is, I can only choose one of these. So here’s the list.

1. YoYoFactory 888x
  2. YoYoFactory 888.11
  3. YoYoFactory Genesis
  4. YoYoFactory Superstar
  5. YoYoFactory Skyline
  6. OneDrop CODE1

So what I’m asking for is just your experiences with these and why or why not you’d recommend them. What I’m looking for is stability, a good grinding surface, possibly (but not mandatory) a good inner rim for IRGs, and overall something that can handle most everything with ease, something that would help make play a lot smoother and easier.

And please, PLEASE do not recommend anything not on this list, LOL. ::slight_smile: I’ve found what appeals to me most, and I’ve already read enough reviews.

This is the first of two threads I’ll be posting. This one will help me narrow down my choices, and the next will lead me to my final decision. Thanks in advance. ;D

Out of those? 888.11
But Id reaaally like to recommend a better yoyo by yyf by far.
May I?

Imma do it anyway. Take a look at the CLYW Avalanche or Gnarwhal. Don’t just narrow it down to YYFs, but if you do, the Genesis.

I apologize for the double post but I’ve seen these little questionnaires all over the place and I figured it’d help you guys understand how I play and what I prefer.

1. What size do you prefer? (Big, small, medium, etc)

2. What shape do you prefer? (Be specific: Round Butterfly, Flat Rims, pointy shape, H-Shape)

3. What response do you prefer? (Silicone, O-Ring, Hybrid, Pad, etc)

4. Do you like to mod/maintain it?

5. What weight is ideal to you?

6. Does color matter?

7. How does your style relate to the yoyo? (What kind of tricks do you like to do? Fast? Technical? Smooth? Slacks?)

8. What is your price range?

9. What is your skill level?

10. What yoyos have you had before?

11. Doesn’t really matter, I haven’t had enough experience with different sizes to have a preference.

12. I currently have used only rounded butterfly shapped yoyos, I’m completely open to something new.

13. Whatever keeps the yoyo unresponsive when necessary and can bring it back up when I want it to.

14. I do not like modding yoyos, but I do maintain them.

15. I have a 66g and a 69g, after a lot of playing around, I’ve come to like the heavier weight.

16. I won’t cry over a terrible color, but it’s always nice to have your preference. ;D

17. I have a habit of wanting to play fast, a mix of Paul Han and Hiroyuki Suzuki (At least, that’s what I want to end up like.). But sometimes I like to slow it down and make sure the tricks are done perfectly rather than rushing through a combo.

18. As stated before, I’ll just assume I can only purchase one. Just don’t go over $150 :wink:

19. I’ve reached Skin The Gerbil on YoYoExpert’s 'Learn" tab.

20. I own a YYJ Hitman PRO which I love very much, but it doesn’t satisfy my completely. And I recieved a YYJ Dark Magic II Black Spade Edition which I like much more, I feel I can get more tricks down a lot smoother. But still doesn’t feel like enough to me.

Basically, the Dark Magic II has met most of my standards, but I know there’s better.

Go for it, but probably won’t change my mind lol.

Reasons for the 888.11?

out of those choices i would say genesis or code one… but yes… take a look at other companies, they all make good throws too

yyj, spyy, odyy, clyw etc… there are plenty more too

what is it exactly that youre looking for in a new yoyo… some of those you listed play quite differently from others…

Like I said, I’m interested in something new, different from what I’ve got, but can still handle whatever I throw at it.

The only one you mentioned that I have is a Code 1. Get a Code1 then. Easy.

You’ve already made up your mind anyways.

I have? :o

Hard to put the reasons on paper.
Its just awesome. anyway, g5

I just recieved a few yoyos for birthday and Christmas one of which is the code1. I find myself playining it very often. I have played and or owned most of the yoyos on your list excluding the 888.11 and the genesis.

It appears that I will play the code 1 more than the others in your list.
Skyline would be my next choice followed by the Superstar and the 888x last.

The 888x, I just never really played. I liked the looks, the size, but I just never cared to play it for some reason. I ended up trading it for a DNS and have enjoyed the DNS more than I ever enjoyed the 888x. That’s just my preference though.

Different code 1, is not the heavies thing in the world with the stock side effects, but with some brass side effects (avalble directly from one drop) you can bring it up to your comfort zone. It has unique shape and the pyromatte grinds ok. Overall it is great yoyo, and you will not be dissapointed.

i always loved the CLYW GNARWHAL if there is any left plz do get it your life will be changed

I agree the Gnarwal is a great yoyo. Life changing? Maybe that’s a big over-doing it, but it’s still undeniably a great yoyo.

But, it’s not within the listed 6 the OP was interested in.

I’ve played the 888x and the Code1 and I am in love with the Code1, much more than my 888x. I get almost twice as much spin on the Code1 than the 888x and it’s much more stable.

Alright so far I’m leaning towards the CODE1. How’s it’s stability, because it is rather light… And I’m not sure if I’d be able to pick up some heavier Side Effects until some time later.

Okay so I am going to give you the inside scoop on all that I own.

1. YoYoFactory 888x-The 888x is very fast but not very floaty; the only problem with it being fast is that it is rather unstable. It is still a very good yoyo because of the fact that is pretty stable if you don’t hit the sides to your string or go to fast. The other downside is that it has hubstacks. You might have wanted this because of the hubstacks, but after a week they are Loud and annoying. Plus when you take of the hubstacks, you have the posts sticking out.One thing that sticks out is that it has amazing grinding capability, so good that you could finger gring for about 4 seconds. But if you are looking to thumb grind, the metallic but sticky inside is not the best surface to grind on.

2. YoYoFactory 888.11- To be honest I think that it looks like it is a bit pricey for what it is worth. But you can do what you want with your money. I do not own one (yet) but it appears to be very grind(able?) because of it’s very smooth body. It also seems to be a bit more stable from the looks of the specs and the gap. Also this is going to have the same downside with hubstacks.

3. YoYoFactory Genesis-The genesis: An amazing yoyo at an even better price! It is true what the people say about it being an absolutely amazing yoyo. The genesis is pretty heavy and not so good if you want fast play. But it is amazingly smooth and great if you have a slow and flowing style. This might drive you away but it really will work good no matter what style your tricks are. It is also an outstanding 5a player. I don’t do much but when I do I use the genesis. ALso amazing grinding surface.

4. YoYoFactory Superstar-The superstar is also a very expensive yoyo that could arguably be worth it. It as well is a very good yoyo at slow flowing play, as well as fast play. When I say, “fast” I do not mean like Hiroyuki Suzuki fast but just a fairly fast speed. This is one stable yoyo! I do not know one trick that is too long or too fast to stop this yoyo. So the stability factor= Covered! The superstar has a nice H-Shape in that it makes it very easy to land on the string when you have many very small strings and have to land on one. It also is fairly good at grinding which is not an important aspect really. Also once again the hubstack’s and the post.

5. YoYoFactory Skyline- The skyline also very pricey. It has a wide width but a shape a bit like the genesis but smaller and exaggerated to make the inside slant to the gap a little less steep. It has very good stability and spin times. Mine did not have a very good grinding surface because of the splash on it. But I am pretty sure if you got an acid wash version it would gring better. This one can go fast but you kind of have to push it to it’s limit to do so. Another one with hubstacks so keep that in mind.

6. OneDrop CODE1- This yoyo has got to be the smoothest spinning and grinding yoyo I have ever thrown. It is very stable and big while it remains to be light and fast. It does not come with hubstacks so you can check that con of the list. And it comes stock with a 10-ball bearing. That means the bearing has 10 little balls inside instead of the standard 8. This makes more, smaller ones that make it longer and smoother spinning. I have the Flamethrower edition and it is absolutely beautiful. Many of them are pretty even the solid colored ones. But one cool special edition is the yellow submarine available on yoyoexpert here: http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/369/One-Drop-Code-1. My only con is that the one drop response is very snaggy. SOmetimes I will slowly bind so it doesn’t snag and it shoots up and snags. This is why I rarely throw mine because it snags over and over. This might just be mine but I don’t know.

Over all you can decide which one you want. But if you can spend about 110$ and pick to get the genesis(one of my all time favorites) then I would buy the yoyojam chaser (another all time favorite)  for 28$ which is a steal. The thing is amazing for a cheap plastic!

I like big and heavy. The Code is is BIG but not heavy, at 64 grams with the smallest side effects. It’s very stable though, long spinning, feels good in the hand.

The issue with side effects is getting them, but I know a few places that have them(authorized sellers) in case YYE is out, but YYE has a good stock of them at the moment. I’m debating getting something a bit heavier. Even so, as is, it’s a great yoyo. Defintely one of my favorites. DM2, Phenom, Code 1, Avalanche.

If you wan’t brass side effects (heavier) they are available directly through one drop.

But we wouldn’t dare post a link now would we good boy? Just use PM.