I made two strings today. My first attempt, and I am really impressed with them. I picked up some poly thread from walmart. They were 1.50 each, one blue and one salmon. I picked up a variegated blue and white nylon from Jo-Anns for $8.
I followed Airetic instructions via youtube. I set two hooks 12ft apart in my workbench. I used 6 wraps for each and twisted clockwise until I had 15in of shrinkage. The folded it and twisted counter-clockwise until it no longer stretched.
I am really please with the results. I think I could have added one or two wraps for the nylon. But I actually like the thinner feel right now.