Lyn Fury/Kickside for Responsive only?

I know there are lots of threads on the topic of Lyn Fury vs Kickside, but most answers revolve around how the yoyos can be modded for unresponsive play. My question is slightly different. I want to play only responsive - forever. That is, I don’t have the intention to move into unresponsive play for 1a string tricks.

From this perspective, I’m choosing between the Lyn Fury and Kickside. Here are the few things important to me:

1. Low maintenance
  2. Consistent response system. That is, doesn’t change much no matter how hard you play
  3. Decent spin times within the limits of responsiveness
  4. Not too large (Smaller than YYJ Classic)

A lot seems to come down to the difference between double O-Rings and O-Ring/Starburst. Does anyone have insights as to how the differences between the Fury and Kickside bear upon the criteria I’ve stated?

I have a kickside and I’d say that it’s the least maintained yoyo in my collection but it still performs well. I use it for unresponsive play though. Just tighten it a bit more and it’s nice and responsive. It’s a great yoyo but surely there are better responsive yoyos out there. I does feel a little on the cheap side to be brutally honest. But then again I only throw metals and hybrids these days.

As for the response system it would be cheaper to get the kickside because you only need one pad at a time. If you enjoy redoing the silicone manually you can really save loads of money.

I’m sure this has just confused you even more. I’m a little tired. I hope I helped in some way.

Huh, I didn’t know the kickside was adjustable in the sense that you could simply twist it more or less. I assume you can’t do this with other yoyos by simply adjusting the tightness when you screw it on/off?

It was one of the key features in a lot of old YYJ yoyos.

1 Like

The Lyn fury has a large gap and was designed for unresponsive play, whereas the kickside has a gap of like 3.5, so it’s better.

I use a dual-siliconed kickside with thick lube in the bearing for my go to responsive throw, and I really haven’t liked anything better.

1 Like

i recently got a kickside wich i modded before i threw it first time ::slight_smile: -and this very moment i’m sitting here considering buying another kickside, just to try it without mods and then keep it as a responsive :slight_smile:

…or buy a couple more… just in case ;D -i really like the feeling of the kickside :wink:

I see. Does this mean that the Lyn Fury will become unresponsive after a while?

I’ve been looking at the Kickside really hard, and will most likely get it as well. Responsive play is really important to me. I like the Lyn Fury’s smaller size though…

You might also like the speed maker

The dark magic can also be played responsive.

Keeping the bearing lubed goes a long way to making a yoyo responsive. This applies pretty much across the spectrum.

Just checked out the Speed Maker, and at 57mm, it’s just a bit too large for my liking. I may get the Dark Magic after I’ve tried out a few more yoyos and their sizes.

According to this list, the Lyn Fury is listed under the “Breaks into unresponsive” category. I’d rather that didn’t happen, so looking for yoyos that will stay responsive without the danger of me having to do a bind to bring it up…

The issue I have with the Lyn for responsive play is the massive gap that you can’t shorten. You can compensate with more thick lube and perhaps an extra loop or two around the bearing and it will come back to your hand, but the kickside has the narrower gap which just makes it respond better for responsive play.

I also like the rounded organic shape of the kickside better .

The downside of the stock kickside is that stupid starburst on one side. All Yoyojam had to do was to make both sides recessed and they would have had the best beginner yoyo for the last decade. It would still be the best, but alas they just won’t change it.

So your best option is to get two and combine the recessed sides. Yeah, it cost’s a little more money, but these things are pretty durable so it will last a while. That’s what I did, then I gave away the all starburst one. (It works fine too for a beginner, but it’s just that I hate the way starbursts sound)

Lol. That really requires some dedication to the Kickside :slight_smile: . I’m willing to give the starburst hybrid response a try though. Let’s see how it works out.

I really wish there was a little more diversity in the “1a Responsive Yoyo” department. So much of the discussion revolves around “migrating” to unresponsive, that not many people realize that there are some of us who don’t wish to go unresponsive.

I totally understand your frustration, but everything has trade offs. The nice thing about the hybrid response is that it’s not quite as responsive as dual o-ring. It’s truly a hybrid response for an in-between, reliable, yet responsive feel; you adjust the gap and lube to fine tune it. The biggest problem for most people is that modding it to be completely unresponsive in a modern way with snappy silicone response is not easily done.

There certainly has been a revival of 1a responsive in fixed axle play (mostly wood which I like best) but if you’re doing longer responsive string tricks, a little thick lube will go a long way! It’s really all you need for practically any 1A yo-yo to go responsive. Though if you’re looking for a narrower gap, well… go with a YYJ. ;D

One of the reasons I’m looking for o-rings is because even with thick lube, my OneStar only remains responsive for about 10 mins - I think the pads are worn out. I was hoping that the Lyn Fury O-Rings would last much longer.

I guess the only way to find out is by actually buying these yoyos for myself. I’ve read too many reviews, seen too many videos and everyone seems to have a different experience!

Is the Lyn Fury responsive? Yes…and no!

Will it become unresponsive? Yes…and no!

Is the Lyn Fury stable? Yes…and no!

Will the O-rings become slippery? Yes…and no!

Will the starburst on the Kickside fray the string early? Yes…and no!

Honestly, my head is reeling with reading different contradictory opinions about the Lyn Fury. I’m just going to have to get the damn thing and find out the hard way.

I use YYJ yoyos a lot. Most all have o-rings. I’ve never had them get slippery. The only way I see that happening is a sloppy lube job. I always remove the bearing to lube it. If it does happen, take them out and wipe them off.

I have a number of yoyos w/starburts and hybrid starbust/o-ring. String wera is not an appreciable problem. It will wear to some degree but I usually replace the string for other reasons way ahead of any significant wear problems.

1 Like

If you want consistent responsiveness for bearing yoyos… unfortunately you can’t.
You’ll need to lube it often, no matter what yoyo that is.
I know because I do 2a, it’s not the response system that is causing it to become responsive (except if it’s biting the string), it’s the bearing. The response system only acts like a brake to grip the string after it’s “initiated” by the bearing. A yomega raider is unresponsive with clean bearing, the string may catch randomly and return but it’s random.
If you want “true” responsive play with little maintenance, go fixed axle.

1 Like

You can get the Hitman in several variations of response and it’s undersized.

Also, couldn’t you just slap a thin bearing in most throws to make them responsive?

I think Kevinm had a lot of these older YYJ throws and was looking to sell some when I talked to him this weekend. You may want to ask him. You could get different ones and see what you liked.

Thank you for that information!

I’ve been hearing a lot about fixed axle play lately. Sounds interesting!