Looking To Get Back Into Throwing

I started during the 90s craze when I was 10-12. I’ve gotten in and out since then but looking to throw with my son now. This is what I have, what do you recommend starting with? I see tons of new styles and brands, just don’t know where to start… Or should I just stick with these oldies? Lol

9 Likes

Well after you get a refresher on that stuff in the picture then it would be time to get an unresponsive yoyo. I would recommend a sub $30 mono metal like the Throwback Arcade or Magicyoyo P.lotor something you can ding up and replace easy.

4 Likes

I’d recommend Topyo Silenus or Colossus V. They are under $32 and fantastic yoyos. Welcome back to yoyo. You’ll both be having fun!

6 Likes

^^ this

4 Likes

Definitely looking for cheaper throws… under $30 is great! I’ve seen the magicyoyo’s online. Are they pretty good? I know I paid more than that for some of the ones I have from years back. The arcade looks pretty good. I found the Colossus V. For $20. Seems to be a pretty good deal

2 Likes

Colossus V is awesome!

2 Likes

Are you wanting to play unresponsive with a bind to bring it back or would you prefer it to be responsive?

Do you have a preference towards plastic or metal?

Do you prefer butterfly shape or slimmer imperial?

Happy you’re back in the game, had those same throws, the bumble bee gt for responsive and sfx for unresponsive were and still are very good in my book.

2 Likes

Search for Arcade B-grade it goes for $14. I don’t own the Colossus V but ChrisFrancz knows what he is talking about.

3 Likes

Yes, really any TopYo is an excellent choice (for example the Colossus V) and, this might be a little controversial, try a shutter trainer (b-grade shutter).

1 Like

That is very controversial but I’ll allow it :stuck_out_tongue: It’s not bad for the price but it’s heavy and slow.

1 Like

A yoyofactory Skyline for 19.99 would be picking back up from where you left off and give you a taste of hubstacks that can be easily removed. Fully unresponsive.

The yoyofactory Zodiac would be a cool in between as well to get your son into it. It can be responsive and unresponsive. Also twenty bucks.everyone else is giving you too of the line stuff and you’d be perfect with those for a taste of where technology is now.

I’m just suggesting some old school vibe stuff that plays excellent too as a nice transition.

3 Likes

It’s crazy they are still selling for that low, I thought after the black friday sale they would go back up to the regular price. People really are sleeping.

2 Likes

I prefer metal because the usually provide longer sleep times, allowing me to practice tricks longer for teaching my son. I looked at the shutter trainer but was kinda scared away by the b grade as that’s new to me. I’ve got the Colossus V in my cart. Looking to buy 1 or 2 more. Gotta get that free shipping haha.

1 Like

The skyline and zodiac are both on sale for $20 each as well. I’m not sure what hubstacks are. Google time.

2 Likes

B-grades from YoyoFactory can be all over the place but I don’t think that applies to the shutter trainer The really questionable Yoyofactory stuff has a zebra laser etched on it. B grades from Throwback and most boutique brands are all for anodizing or blast irregularities not play altering defects.

1 Like

Like microcystin said no worries to be deterred by b-grades. 9/10 yoyos that are b-grades are either in such good condition people don’t even know why the yoyo was considered b-grade or the defect is purely cosmic, not affecting performance at all. Also since this is your first metal you shouldn’t worry too much about the condition because EVERYONE’S first metal is badly beat.

3 Likes

Arround 15 Usd … Magic yoyo Hertz y03. A very nice yoyo, that can do all types of tricks…and is also smooth and powerfull.

3 Likes

Just buy them all! That is how I have approached this relapse into yo-yoing :joy:

8 Likes

I’m going to put it out there. There are very few bad yo-yos, and you will probably be happy with just about anything on the yo-yo expert store.

4 Likes

I really like the “YYF velocity” for travel… it is easily adjustable to not just unresponsive and responsive, but different strings.

2 Likes