Looking for a first yoyo

This might sound stupid, but is the Markmont. Classic a yoyo someone new (me) could learn with? Are binds easy?

Thanks.

1 Like

It seems kind of expensive to learn on, especially when you’ll be slamming it into the ground and singing it up. Wouldn’t you rather have a responsive yoyo so you’re not spending all of your time winding after a dead yoyo?

I really love the first base. And they’re supposed to be restocked any day now.

Binds are needed to get a “unresponsive yoyo” to come back to your hand, and need a little experience with a “responsive” yoyo first. A responsive yoyo comes back to your hand when you pull it up. The markmont is a unresponsive yoyo and I wouldn’t recommend it to beginners. I would recommend the yoyofactory whip, or the yotricks sage.

1 Like

The whip is wonderful, though it is small and light. I guess if you have small hands go with the whip, big hands go with the replay (not the replay pro), and if you want something in the middle go with a (some other yoyo which may or may not be sold here)

Please don’t recommend other stores here.
Thanks. Moderator edited.

Woops, forgot that there are no onestars available here anymore. Buy a cheap protostar and throw a slim bearing in it then.

1 Like

The Arrow by Yoyo Factory is pretty good

1 Like

Do you know if YoyoFactory increase the weight of the Arrow at all beyond the prototype run that came in the mystery boxes? My Arrow is so light that it’s kind of hard to use, even as an unresponsive yoyo.

To the OP: I’m a little partial to a slightly heavier yoyo, so I’m more inclined to recommend the Whip. The little extra weight gives you a longer spin time.

I’ll also put the YoyoJam Big Ben out there for your consideration. YoyoJam is no longer around, but YYE still has a few of these old school throws still floating around their site. It’s not really a pocket-friendly throw, but it’s easy to throw, it has a good stable design, a long spin time and is low maintenance. The best part is, it has an adjustable gap so that it can be responsive or unresponsive depending on how much you tighten the yoyo halves. The only drawback to these old YYJs is that they could be overtightened, which could lead to cracks in the hub. The cracks don’t usually affect their playability, but if you’re careful, this can be a fun, versatile throw to get you into the hobby without breaking the bank!

Right before Thanksgiving YYF had a sale on Arrows. I picked up a couple, gave one to my 7 year old nephew when he visited. My son and I kept the other. It plays pretty well both unresponsive and responsive. It didn’t strike me as being particularly light or having a funny weight distribution. It was able to shoot the moon, disco regen, make da’ zines…stalls were OK (the shape doesn’t let you sloppy your way through a stall).

So, maybe they did address things from the mystery box run, or, maybe I’m just so ham fisted I wasn’t able to find an issue.

As someone else pointed out, that’s a fairly expensive throw for your first one. It is a great throw, but for the same money you could yourself a couple of yoyos that are a little cheaper.
Recess First Base is a great starter choice. It comes responsive out of the box, but includes an additional bearing that is larger so you can make the yoyo unresponsive. Along with that I would recommend getting yourself a box of bulk string like Kitty or Buddha - you’ll go through more string than anything else on your yoyo. Now you’ll still have about $50 left that you can use for your next yoyo!

1 Like

I don’t think it was you. I have a whip and the Arrow I got in the mystery box and between the two, the Arrow feels lighter to me, but the specs on the general release Arrow say it’s several grams heavier than the Whip. I have my Arrow from tge mystery box pictured here too. You can see that they definitely did some redesigns on it. I probably could have figured this out by comparing the specs on the whip and the main release of the Arrow, oh well. From the looks of the newer release of the arrow, it should do just fine as a first throw.

1 Like

I remember people saying the original mystery box release came without the caps that are now included and increase the weight

2 Likes

I bought a couple of cheap yoyo’s, then got a Deep State. The increase in spin time over the cheap yoyo’s made the Deep State a very good move for me. I would recommend it to anyone who is willing to spend that much on a beginner yoyo.

1 Like

I love Deep States…one of the coolest looking yo-yos I’ve ever seen.

I personally wouldn’t recommend it to learn with though. It’s very slim so leaarning the basics like trapezes and different mounts is going to be much more difficult on it.
The argument can be made that learning on such a slim yo-yo will make you a better player in the long run…and I fully believe this is true…
But the argument can also be made that learning on such a slim yo-yo will be extremely frustrating and can lead to burnout.

Love the yo though :heart:

1 Like