List of Slimlines?

1 Like

It looks like people have mentioned most of the ones I could think of. I usually take a close look at new slim yoyos because I want to know if they play well responsive, so I don’t keep a list of purely unresponsive ones or ones that can “do both” but don’t seem to play responsive well.

Here are ones I didn’t see in the comments above, but I may have missed something… for the sake of simplicity, I limited this to sub 38mm width, although some of these may not be 100% accurate since they may have been measurements I took with a half-spec bearing. In other words, at the bottom of the list it might creep over 38mm just a hair. (for reference, the Panorama is 37.86mm). I have also excluded mini yoyos that have a much smaller diameter than normal.

• Zeekio Slim Jim
  • Rain City Skills Gamer (OG or light)
  • Rain City Skills Delrin Gamer
  • Basecamp Moonshine
  • Butterfly AL*
  • Rain City Skills Dumpster Fire**
  • Timcor Starfire 2018
  • Spin Worthy x MK1 RBC*
  • Toybania Stoopid
  • Toybania Thing (v1 or v2)
  • Basecamp Sherpa
  • G2 Respawn/Respawn Lite*
  • Jake Bullock Slim Dunk
  • Old School Throws ResTi-W
  • R2FG Deduction
  • Vuson Medal
* With a wider and/or clean bearing?

** Don't.  Just don't.
1 Like

Would also probably add the OneDrop Deep state and One Drop Deeper state. Just saw the list and the deep state on my desk and thought I’d add it.

1 Like

The butterfly al ships with a full C

Ah, you’re right. The high walls and greased bearing caused me to think it was a slim bearing. List corrected.

As an aside, the OP or someone should maybe take it upon themselves to maintain a list of unresponsive slimlines?

1 Like

I’ve compiled all the slimlines mentioned above for easier reference. The categorisation of yoyos is based on the yoyo’s default configuration out of the box.

Intended for responsive play:

• Basecamp Moonshine 2
  • DocPop Daytripper
  • DocPop Weekender
  • Luftverk Micra MultiForm DS1 Classic
  • Luftverk Micra MultiForm DS1 Square
  • Luftverk Daytona Slimline
  • Luftverk Daytona SB Slimline
  • Spinworthy x Mk1yoyos Red Blood Cell
  • Spencer Berry Theodore
  • Spencer Berry Walter
  • SPYY Flying V
  • Throwback Origen
  • Tom Kuhn Pocket Rocket
  • Rain City Skills x DocPop Pop Art
  • YoYoFactory Confusion
  • YoYoFactory Little Confusion
  • YoYoFactory Ti Confusion
  • YoYo Tricks/MK1 Origen

Intended to be played both responsive and unresponsive:

• AnY YoYo Free Rider
  • Basecamp Moonshine
  • Basecamp Sherpa
  • Core Co. Alleycat
  • Core Co. Alleycat 650b
  • DocPop Thing
  • Duncan Bumblebee (2022 Bimetal Version)
  • Duncan Butterfly AL
  • Duncan Butterfly AL (Delrin Caps)
  • Duncan Cold Fusion GT (2022 Bimetal Version)
  • G2 Respawn
  • G2 Respawn Lite
  • ILYY Black Belt
  • ILYY Trvth
  • Laid Back Swing Nude Trump
  • Lathed Back Design Bangarang
  • Lathed Back Design Lagrange
  • Lowkey Throws Woodland
  • Luftverk Alpina Slimline XP47
  • Luftverk Alpina Slimline XP55
  • Luftverk Daytona Slimline SE
  • Luftverk Daytona Slimline SE BTM (Bimetal Titanium Version)
  • Markmont Black Canon
  • Mk1yoyos x Spiral Silver
  • OneDrop Deep State
  • OneDrop Deeper State
  • Rain City Skills Delrin Gamer
  • Rain City Skills Gamer
  • Rain City Skills Gamer Light
  • Recess Quiz
  • RSO Ti Silver Bullet
  • Something Double Or Nothing
  • Timcor Starfire 2018
  • Tom Kuhn Silver Bullet
  • Tom Kuhn Silver Bullet 2 (SB-2)
  • Tom Kuhn Silver Bullet 3 (SB-3)
  • Tom Kuhn Tom Cat
  • Toybania Stoopid
  • Toybania Thing
  • Toybania Thing V2
  • Turning Point Kerberos.sh
  • Vosun Medal
  • YJ YOYO Canversion
  • YJ YOYO Easy Trick Metal
  • YJ YOYO Easy Trick Retro
  • YoYoRecreation Impact
  • YoYoZeekio Slim Jim
  • Zero Gravity El MiJo
  • Zero Gravity El MiJo 6061
  • Zero Gravity El MiJo Poly
  • Zero Gravity Janus

Intended for unresponsive play:

• 2Sick Fianchetto
  • CLYW Ditch
  • CLYW Gorge
  • Dressel Designs Kanto
  • DocPop Bolt
  • DocPop BoltXP
  • DocPop Executive
  • DocPop x Luftverk Ti Executive
  • Heshgod Enterprises Petri
  • Huatian Rotor
  • ILYY Rocket
  • Jake Bullock Slim Dunk
  • MonkeyfingeR Design Forte
  • Old School Throws Medallion
  • Old School Throws ResTi-W
  • Old School Throws Resto
  • OneDrop Diorama
  • OneDrop Panorama
  • PDX-YO Phidias
  • Rain City Skills Dumpster Fire
  • Reticulated Return Tops Asp
  • R2FG Deduction
  • SF 36
  • ShurikenYoYos Senban
  • SmashingYoYos Pip
  • Turner Return Tops Isthmus
  • YoYoFactory Heist
  • YoYoGarden Coco
  • YoYoRecreation GOPA

This post is also a wiki so anyone can update and contribute to this list.

12 Likes

Added the MonkeyfingeR Forte to this list. I’m unfamiliar with almost every throw on this list since slimlines aren’t really my thing, but I think maybe there should be an indicator of if a yoyo is intended to be played responsive, unresponsive, or both. The Forte is 36mm wide and only intended for unresponsive play, same with the Senban.

There’s some gray area here with stuff like the Sliver and Deeper State, but it might at least be nice to differentiate a yoyo like the RBC from the Panorama. Not sure what the best way to format the list or add an indicator would be though.

4 Likes

Dimensions

Diameter: 54mm
Width: 56.6mm

2 Likes

Tom Kuhn Silver Bullet, SB2, and Tom Cat,
Custom AXL and Elite.

NIGHTSHADOW!!!

Should’ve known to check before I included them :confused:

4 Likes

Done, I have categorised them as you requested.

1 Like

Oh boy, this is gonna be a can of worms…

1 Like

Yeap, but I have stated the criteria by which I categorise them, which I think is pretty objective.

Feel free to change the categorisation and the criteria if you find your categorisation provides more value.

2 Likes

I’m just not sure it’s that easy to sort out design intention and viability that easily… I’m wondering if it might be better to have a table that had some additional columns for bearing size and some notes about the ways it can be configured (intended or not).

2 Likes

I just shifted some stuff around, I do agree that it’s a grey area though. This might not be the best way to categorize them though, but I’m not really sure what would be better. I feel like just seeing a profile and cup shot of the yoyo along with bearing, pad size, and weight will give you your answer, but that’s not particularly conducive to a text list. I never would’ve known the Sliver was intended to be able to do both if I hadn’t watched Jamie using one responsive in multiple clips.

I do think it’s somewhat worthwhile to separate them though. It just feels really weird to put yoyos like the Senban, a very slim yet fully capable uresponsive, on the same list as the Alleycat 650B and RBC which are both trying to chase after a fixed axle play feel.

2 Likes

Bi-metal Bumblebee is just to heavy to be comfortable.

Kanto can take a slim bearing too although it’ll be powerful on a tug haha

1 Like

I think that can aspect is where a lot of being hard to categorize can comes from.

I can throw a lubed half spec or bearing blank in a Shaqshine, but calling the Shaqshine a responsive yoyo would be a huge stretch. It’s hard to figure out design intent (without speaking directly to the designer), and categorizing unintended yoyos that end up being competent responsive yoyos. The Duncan Freehand One AL with caps removed and a lubed half spec plays great, but I don’t think it was ever designed with that being a consideration. With a half spec bearing thrown in it would also fit into the definition of 38mm being a slimline, so who knows if it should or shouldn’t be on a list like this.

2 Likes

This is part of where it gets murky for me. The Alleycat and Alleycat 650B were designed to be responsive in a classic style, but they were also designed with a recess under the friction stickers so you can take them out and use it unresponsive with 19mm pads.

I don’t know if the Moonshine and Sherpa were intended for play one way or the other, but they both shipped with a regular C and a half-spec C plus the extra axle to enable the swap.

The Slim Dunk was not intended for responsive play, since the designer isn’t interested, but a half-spec C bearing fits and it works just fine.

There are others (mostly ones I haven’t tried) that have a prominent response bump which suggests to me that the design intent was to be played unresponsive and it may just be a happy coincidence that they work reasonably well as responsives.

And then there is the Deep State which was marketed as “semi-responsive”…

2 Likes

Yeah, I pretty much agree with all the points you hit on. It’s hard to categorize, but really this is just a fun exercise in looking at a bunch of yoyos I was unfamiliar with yesterday, so it’s not something I think needs to be taken too seriously. Realistically only a handful of people will ever see a list like this in a random forum thread.

1 Like