Let's talk about the kamikaze mount

What is your preferred way to get into the kamikaze mount?

• Pop from the Houdini mount
  • Whip in the trapeze mount
  • Other (please describe)

I have found it easiest for me to get into the kamikaze mount by doing a roll over the throw-hand from a trapeze mount. But I find that method rather unsatisfying as a way to start the Kamikaze trick because the next move is just an undo of the roll, which feels kinda lame to me.

I’ve spent days trying to master getting into the kamikaze mount from the Houdini mount, but I just can’t seem to land on the bottom string after popping the yoyo up. In order to hit the string above it, the yoyo has to be moved out of alignment with the string below it, and I can’t seem to move the yoyo back into alignment fast enough. And forget about the whip version; I’m terrible at whips and slacks in general.

I’m interested in hearing everyone’s experience with learning and mastering the kamikaze mount.

5 Likes

Either a slight modification of “Whip from trapeze” where instead of landing on the trapeze then whipping, I whip directly into the mount w/ the momentum from swinging into a trapeze, or “Pop from the Houdini mount”,

1 Like

I just go into a one and a half mount, roll into a sub mount, and roll again in the same direction into the kamikaze mount.

3 Likes

^^^ Same

1 Like

My favorite is the whip from trapeze mount. i think it looks the best from a viewers point. I actually tried learning it from the pop from the houdini mount but until recently i wasnt able to consistently hit it that way.

2 Likes

I whip straight into it. No trapeze.

4 Likes

i prefer to whip straight in, but i’m not very good at it. i do a slightly modified whip, where i start with a pinwheel and time the whip to right as i land on trapeze.

the houdini mount pop is fairly easy, isntead of popping the yoyo up into the string connected to my nth thumb, i kind of roll the yoyo into that top string connected to nth thumb(more like the first swing after double or nothing in cold fusion), and as the yoyo hits the string i turn my thumb under and pull my hands apart. that roll should allow for just enough hang time for your thumb to twist under before pulling tight, trying to pop and pull at the same time makes me way less accurate.

5 Likes

For me it depends on the flow of the trick or combo, I find myself using 3 different variations depending on what “feels” better :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

@zslane You may have already tried adjusting your throw hand string finger. I find it more difficult to land on the bottom string if my finger is curled in. An extended string finger works much better for me and lines up the strings more evenly. I don’t know, just a thought. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I actually struggled with the pop into kamikaze until learning bonkers repeater—where you roll double on in a Houdini, unroll and use the momentum to swing up into kamikaze instead of just popping. After practicing this, I can do the pop more consistently. That might be a difficult place to start, but it’s worth a try.

My preferred methods are variants of whip to kamikaze, and one really easy but very smooth method. Start in a trapeze. Curl your TH index over the string (like you’re getting ready to do a magic drop). Slide your thumb into the NTH trapeze loop so you can open it up a little. Swing the mount counter clockwise and then insert your TH index into the trapeze loop and pull back under the yo-yo with your TH, now you should be in kamikaze mount.

2 Likes

I first learned it by doing a whip from a trapeze, so I got really good at that. It wasn’t until years later that I learned there were alternate ways to get into it, but i’ll do the whip most of the time.

3 Likes

Rolling from 1.5 mount doesn’t exactly make a kamikaze mount, right?

I like to do the first whip of branding to get into that 1.5 mount with the extra string wrap, then roll into kamikaze.

1 Like

Yeah, this is the method I find easiest for me. The only thing I don’t love about it is that it is less than ideal for the Kamikaze trick because the very next move is to simply unroll back out of the mount, which just feels (and I presume looks) kinda lame.

How does everyone prefer to get into the kamikaze mount as part of the Kamikaze trick? From the responses so far, I’d wager that the overwhelming majority of players whip into the mount (and that’s probably true whether they are doing the Kamikaze trick or not).

1 Like

I do the whip from Trapeze, just because it’s the first way I learned it. I suck at it, and whips in general, but that’s just another reason to do it that way. I need the practice.

Ivan

3 Likes

Here is the method I was referring to used in Kamikaze. It looks nice and smooth to me.

3 Likes

Okay, yeah, I like that. I will definitely be practicing Kamikaze that way now. Thanks, Ryan! :+1:

2 Likes

The same way as Chuck demonstrates for the Rancid Milk Cabin Tutorial @ 1:20:

It’s smooth and I like it for Kamikaze as well.

EDIT: in case it’s not clear, he’s starting from a houdini mount

1 Like

I too think it depends on the flow for which I prefer. It does get a lot easier after 1000 takes (any version). I never thought I would be able to whip right in without trapeze but now it’s fairly routine.

This is exactly how I would have described it from Houdini mount…. It’s more of a roll onto…

Think about just placing the marked string around the back half of the yo-yo. Same thing.

2 Likes

I almost had my gf take that same photo for me haha, was going to mark it up similarly too

1 Like