Lets Get Down to Business! (Basics)

So, I’ve been thinking as of late that once you get fairly good, you never really look back at your first tricks that much. So as a challenge to all of us at YYE, I’ve been thinking we should spend one day/week/3.14 weeks? Focusing and looking back at older tricks just to brush up on basics. You know, Sleeper, Trapeze, Split the Atom etc.

I suggest we all start from sleeper and work our way up the tricks to the point we are at right now just to maintain our highly used but almost forgotten trick set. If you follow the basics, good for you! Then it would be another great review.

I understand all of us are at different levels and some might have one or two tricks or some might have over 9000 tricks. The point is, let’s all go back to our beginning just to brush up and hone them.

Mark

Well, most combos incorporate all of those elements anyway. All throwers (excluding 2A) do sleepers 100% of the time, everything else is just extended from that. I have failed to find anyone who doesn’t have trapeze as a trick element, or even split bottom mount (Split the atom). Its like taking a world class indy racer and telling him to go back to learning which pedal is gas and brake.

We should concentrate on teaching these to newer players. As they are the ones that are most likely to get P’ed off and leave because they have a hard time landing those tricks that you listed.

Actually, I had an idea kinda like this. It was inspired my the challenges minusmike did, which came from ed’s 66 rules of yoyoing. Anyways, it was to do one or two tricks a day from yoyoexpert, on a stock responsive yoyo. I was contemplating doing it on a FHZ and buying a lot of friction stickers. As you would progress, lets say expert 1 or 2 you could clean the bearing. Then, master you could take off a sticker. But, yeah focusing on the basics is probably a better idea. I will probably grab a FHZ and some stickers and do this and my challenge. Nice idea. Challenges FTW :slight_smile:

I can see what you’re talking about, I don’t think we need to necessarily work on those specific tricks but we should tweak and perfect our basics and then I’m sure it will show in our more advance tricks.