Labtops

What are these legit websites. How can you be sure they are legit?

Because Norton has checked a great many websites. It tells you whether or not they are safe without you asking.

“Legit” websites get hacked w/malware quite often.

Safeweb.com doesn’t work properly anymore. You have to read the reviews.

And what jhb said is true as well.

http://www.suvi.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/macandpc.jpg

eh, norton isn’t the best. It’s too common, so most people build viruses that get past it easily. I use malware bytes and avast. Avast is free, and malwarebytes you can get a free trial.

As far as maintenance, as jhb said, there’s not much. I generally clear my cache atleast once a month using ccleaner or comodo (amazing freeware), and defrag about once every 2 months (again,ccleaner or comodo). Then I physically clean out any dust the fans have accumulated every 3 months or so. I didn’t do any any cleaning or anything on my laptop for about a year when I first got it, and there were no ill effects. Still don’t dust it ever, as I have an external fan that collects most the dust.
Depending on what you’ll be using it for, you may want to get something with a long battery life. Mine has pretty awful battery life as I always kept it charging (which over time worsens a battery, or so I hear). I get about 1-2 hours on a charge. So I’ll have to get a new battery or laptop in general before I take it with me to college.