Knuckle roller advice

I don’t know much about knuckle rollers, but they look really fun and satisfying, and I could practice a lot during school.

I’m looking at getting one off of a website that I shouldn’t say, but these are my options:

A wood one (probably Purple Heart)
A delwrin one
A clear acrylic one
Or a resin acrylic one

What would be best? What’s the differences between this four? What’s best for beginners?
What’s most long lasting?

Also
Is it possible to carve my own? I know it probably wouldn’t be as good, but it would give me a fun thing to do for today and something to practice with until i place the order and it comes. Any tips?

Please help! Thanks!

The original was molded out of clay, IIRC.

1 Like

Wood is very light and not always the easiest to learn on. Even the purple heart one.
Delrin is a better weight but kinda slippery.
I haven’t had acrylic or resin, but I have been told it is grippier than delrin.
Aluminum or wooden ones with metal ends are an easier weight to learn on than any of the options you listed.

You can definitely carve your own. I have made a few wood ones with a whittling knife that are great to use. There is a brand, Aaron’s Barrels that only hand carves/files some of the best and fanciest wood ones you can get your hands on.

1 Like

Ok thanks
I was thinking one of those materials just because they are more affordable.

I’ll look into other materials, but if I have to go with one of those four, what one would you think would be best?

I carved my own. I love it, but I do wish it was a little heavier.

5 Likes

From what I have tried of the materials listed I like purple heart the most.
On the left is the Aroundsquare ph. The right two are the ones I carved from cocobolo and ziricote

4 Likes

I really like the feel of Delrin in general. I think it has a unique tactile quality that is second only to blasted metal. I don’t find it overly slippery, but I haven’t tried any wood options so it may be slippery by comparison.

I have Delrin, polished Ti, blasted Ti, stainless steel and copper.

Grip wise, I think that Delrin and blasted Ti are the best. The others are polished and can be a bit too grippy for me at times. That would be my concern with Acrylic.

I agree that lighter options can be harder to learn with. Delrin feels pretty light to me, but it is ~1/3 the weight of my next heaviest which is Ti.

FWIW, I keep Delrin and stainless on my desk.

2 Likes