Just got off the phone with a friend

He said “don’t take this the wrong way but you should maybe think about a different hobby that isn’t so childish that will add more value to an adult life.”

Ironically the phone call ended with “Hey, I’m gonna go play the guitar” :thinking: Has anyone ever had this conversation? I basically told him I’m already sucked in. Haha

13 Likes

I get that a lot from coworkers. I usually just combat it by getting super hyped to talk about yo-yos and show them some Mowl videos on my phone. I’m never quite sure if they are confused, bored, or think it’s cool. Luckily, I care very little. But if anyone shows even a slight bit of deeper interest, I usually give them a yoyo.

15 Likes

Your friend is an a hole, thats a terrible attitude

36 Likes

If you think you get looks from people talking about yoyo, try talking to them about your new titanium begleri set.

13 Likes

I’m 72 and still enjoy throwing. My youngest son is 33 and thinks I’m nuts buying yoyos. He doesn’t even pay his own bills. I’ll buy what I want.

36 Likes

It’s not like I’d ever really listen to something off the wall ridiculous like that. I just figured I’m not the first person that heard that and was looking for humor. Haha

6 Likes

i’m really wishing i was witty enough at this moment to come up with some question to ask your buddy about his guitar playing to hopefully throw some of the salt back in his face lol.

he’s probably mad because he’s been playing the same tired licks for years and cant/wont learn new songs, so he’s passing that lack of fulfillment onto you.

8 Likes

I’m all about mixing it up, to the extent that it’s feasible, with different hobbies. I used to be really into cycling and that was literally all I did in my free time. If you get hurt or burned out, you’re left with nothing and that’s not a cool feeling. I wouldn’t say yoyo specifically is unproductive (maintaining reflexes is a real thing) but imo it’s good to have other avenues to explore, for most people.

6 Likes
7 Likes

I’m curious as to what his suggestion would be for a more “grown-up” hobby. Maybe sitting at the bar and watching football? Arguing about Nascar perhaps?

Ivan

12 Likes

Hey hey hold on…my guitar playing and yoyoing are being trodden upon here… :nerd_face:

7 Likes

Lmao this is the mentality I want when I’m a dad some day.

6 Likes

Not to be morbid, but I’m going to tell my kids, “Sorry, but you’ll have to collect your inheritance via the YYE BST.”

13 Likes

Everyone has a way to pass the time. I think yoyoing is a lot healthier than many “adult” hobbies, and there are plenty of decidedly adult hobbies that involve collecting something.

I’d also argue that a huge part of being an adult is learning to appreciate mundane fun.

It sounds like your friend has made a hobby of unnecessary criticism, which happens to be remarkably childish.

14 Likes

This always frustrates me man. Idk if you guys just joke like that as close friends or what but if not, that’s not a friend my dude. My friends for example don’t throw, but would never say anything like this, opposite actually. They think it’s cool I do something unique and not as mainstream as other hobbies/activities. Always asking to see new tricks/throws I bought etc. Actually just this past weekend I texted my best friend of 20 years if he would be down to go Nattys with me this year, doesn’t throw doesn’t pay any attention to the hobby. His response? “When and where? Would love to, maybe if I go and see all these cool freestyles and meet some people I’ll get the itch to buy a yoyo myself. Let me know the actual date(s) and place and I’ll get off work and we can book a hotel.” Not saying your friends should travel the country with you to go watch a yo-yo competition or anything, just throwing out an example of what I think is more appropriate for a friend to say or do when it comes to another friends hobby. And tell Mr Justin Bieber his guitar stinks.

9 Likes

The point was more that this friend isnt feeing fulfilled with his hobbies so he passes those feelings along. If youre happy and fulfilled with your playing (yoyo or guitar), then I’m not talking about you <3.

2 Likes

I think a lot of people can be uncomfortable seeing someone passionate about things they’re not familiar with, and sometimes that comes out as derision in one form or another. I tend to regularly question the amount of time and energy I put into yoyo, but at the same time appreciate it as a skill, potential form of creativity (though I’m still copying other people’s creativity atm) and the many other positive things about it. It sort of comes with the territory (and maybe even part of why some people choose these less common hobbies). I’m sure people that are really into golf, disc golf, fishing or other things get some sort of ribbing from their friends and family, it’s just yoyo is less common so it’s easier for people to get condescending about it.

8 Likes

Dude, totally joking around (though not joking about the fact that my yoyo and guitar playing are novice level). Should have thrown a suitable emoji on the end there or something. Haha…

4 Likes

I had a very strong feeling that was the case, I even haha reacted lol, but Im glad I explained it more clearly anyway. Just in case someone else reads it and feels attacked lol

2 Likes

I think the clear progression in maturity from spending “too much” time with yo-yos is spending “too much” money buying them. . .

1 Like