Just got off the phone with a friend

I think it just boils down to your friend’s insecurities. I wouldn’t take it personally. You aren’t hurting anyone

11 Likes

No one questions anything I do because I’m pretty sure they’re frightened of me. I might look a little rough around the edges but here I am, static co Sudo strapped to my belt loop, 2002 gateway laptop I’m bringing back to life on my work bench bench and my eyes fixed squarely on a vintage Yamaha keyboard I hope my work lets me take home and restore.

6 Likes

That is something I would say when I was young and did not have many experiences with new things and ideas that I did not understand.
It has always been easier to re-enforce my own ideas. In the past it has been difficult for me to challenge, expand or change my ideas with out discomfort. As I have grown older and worked through challenges of expanding and changing ideas it has grown easier and is less uncomfortable.
I can not play guitar but would never disparage anyone who can and would do it for life with no prospect other than their own enjoyment.

By the way on any persons view of throws and throwing.
Quote LL Cool J “ That is their bricks to carry”

All that matters is what you enjoy.

Do not write your friend off take a throw to them give it to them. Show them, teach them trapeze dismount and a simple bind one afternoon.
Tell them it will help dexterity and playing guitar, tell them they can throw while you think through music stuff. Check back in a few weeks see if the bug has burrowed in…

Everything have a great rest of the week.

10 Likes

That’s my family’s justification. “At least he’s not on meth like everyone else”.

5 Likes

You know what, I like that. When I was in mid school I would have NEVER played yo-yo. I learned guitar like the cool kid. Now I do both because I don’t let anything except my gross negligence limit my possibilities.

5 Likes

haha wow imagine trying to stifle someones fun in life because youre a grumpy old person

3 Likes

The diversity in responses on this is hilarious to me. We’ve got anywhere from the likes of “he’s just insecure, it’s okay” “teach him something yoyo related” to, “I hate this freaking guy let’s form an angry mob in his yard” hahahaha

3 Likes

We’re a true melting pot of culture here on the forums.

9 Likes

WAY MORE people my age play VIdeo games than yoyo as a hobby. I’m 43. Adulthood is overrated.

10 Likes

Adulting is a racket.

3 Likes

This reminds me of when I was in High School and my Mom would get mad at me playing video games talking about how much a waste of time it was and I could/should be doing other/better things with my time

But would spend 8 hours a day watching reality TV and doing nothing else

5 Likes

I kind of like how pointless Yoyo is. I have to be working on a screen all day and I’m so happy I found yo-yoing as something to break that up. In general, I think it’s good practice to not overwhelm people by talking about things you’re into that they can’t relate to and that’s why I’m here lol but idk your friend shouldn’t care what makes you happy and should be happy that you’ve got something to care about.

12 Likes

My 6 year old today was in bed and asked me to get him a different book because he had just got in bed but didn’t feel like getting up. I was throwing and told him to get it himself, that I was busy. He told me I was just “wasting time yo-yoing” :sob:

Sick burn from the 6 year old. My wife, who is not overly enthused about the yo-yos (especially the quantity), was quite amused.

9 Likes

I’ve always looked at hobbies and leisure activities as a means to unwind. Never considered them to add value to an adult life. :wink:

7 Likes

I’d argue that helping me to unwind adds priceless value to my adult life.

:smiley:

Ivan

13 Likes

Throwing is a form of self expression and performance art. Let alone its relaxation and therapeutic properties.

I used to frequently get the obligatory: “you must have a lot of time on your hands” to which I reply: yeah, whats your hobby? Thumbing your phone?" which quells all snide remarks.

Do what makes you happy, no matter how old you are.

12 Likes

Indeed. So true.

4 Likes

I think he may have truly had good intentions, but it was just awkward. We both are friends through art stuff, he’s a sign painter. He’s a bit older than me, so sometimes he’ll throw some life advice at me. I consider him such a close friend that I feel a little bad making this post. It was just excessive. Some of his ideas of hobbies that would add value to my life were fishing to feed myself or dirtbiking/ATVs so I could learn mechanics. I just wasn’t hearing that stuff at all.

Honestly, I find yoyoing to really help my anxiety. I don’t think nearly as much about everything my crazy mind can think of when I am. Whenever I start stressing, overthinking, or just plainly being anxious, yoyoing always been a great way to relieve that. I was recently thinking about how that was probably why I liked yoyoing so much when I was younger.

6 Likes

How many hobbies have a very low price to get started, are something you can quite literally pick up and put down whenever you want, and fit in your pocket? It’s just perfect.

8 Likes

my response would just be:

Capture

3 Likes