Just curious, What type of metal are Magic Yoyos made out of?

Are they the same 6061 Aluminum that high end throws are made out of, or some kind of cheaper alloy?

Probably some alloy but just cuz it’s not 6061 doesn’t mean it can’t be high end.

Pony Skin. ;D

Also, not all 6061 is created equal. Some of it is total garbage.

2 Likes

True dat.

But anyways r u thinking about getting a magic yoyo ?

Interesting. I was under the mistaken assumption that 6061 is 6061.

I’ve played a T5 before, and thought “Wow, this is really good for a $10 throw” But I’ve got enough high ends and beaters that I really can’t justify spending even that amount on another throw now.

I think he meant some 6061 throws were garbage now the metal itself. And they r really good for the cost.

I’m not sure, but I think all 6061 means is the ingredients in the alloy, but the quality of the alloy can be impacted by the quality of the ingredients and the way it’s all mixed together and heat treated…

But really I have no idea what I’m talking about.

1 Like

Never really thought about that. But I suppose that could be true.

If memory serves I believe I have only had the opportunity to do surgery on one of them.

The metal was obviously a different aluminum but to the general public I highly doubt a difference would be noticed.

6061 is technically all the same but the quality control between brands is striking. Our distributor offers us aluminum from about half a dozen different manufacturers and we’ve tried them all. You won’t be able to tell one from the next once it’s been turned into a yoyo but from a machinists perspective it’s night and day.

1 Like

Is this based on the tolerances of the aluminum rods or the finish on the rod or what makes the differences?

If my memory serves me right, metals can have a tolerance, for example 6061 may have a certain amount of _____ ranging from 5% to 10%.

The tolerances are much tighter than that. From teh wiki:
Silicon minimum 0.4%, maximum 0.8% by weight
Iron no minimum, maximum 0.7%
Copper minimum 0.15%, maximum 0.40%
Manganese no minimum, maximum 0.15%
Magnesium minimum 0.8%, maximum 1.2%
Chromium minimum 0.04%, maximum 0.35%
Zinc no minimum, maximum 0.25%
Titanium no minimum, maximum 0.15%
Other elements no more than 0.05% each, 0.15% total
Remainder Aluminium (95.85%–98.56%)

I believe the biggest difference is in the quality of the heat treating process.

Pure 67% radioactive unobtanium

1 Like

Heard somewhere Magic Yoyos were made from 5000 grade aluminum. Same kind used in Coke cans lmao.

I know it had a much darker appearance after blasted.

Hey it works lol a material is a material. It’s what u do with it that matters.

Probably has something to do with the alloy being softer. Polishing a Magic Yoyo was always a bit easier too compared to 7075 alloy yoyos.

The list the material on their website… here is what they had for the N12

Body Material Aluminum 6061