Jon Gates wood yoyos

Hi everyone I just wanted to ask if anyone has tried any of Jon Gates wood Yoyos? It looks like he’s been making more recently with a more modern design.

4 Likes

I’ve tried one of his early ones and it is a blast! Deffo recommend trying one.

3 Likes

I’ve played his unresponsive and fixed axle - a variety of both. We’ve been hanging out throwing lately it’s a blast! Seeing him this Sunday ( Denver area peeps hit me up for deets). He’s making really great stuff - tops too! He’s such a great dude! Any questions you want me to ask him?

2 Likes

No particular questions I just wanted to know how they compare to like out, fallen 44, tmbr, or the other big wood companies.

Big Wood Company was my nickname in high school!

2 Likes

I’ve got his original laminate model with the dimples. I love it. It’s just as good as any of the main fixed axle companies. I’d rank it up there with the best of my fixie collection.

3 Likes

He’s turning really great stuff that plays as good as any.

2 Likes

Very high praise here. AaronW knows fixed axles!

1 Like

Any chance you can get pics of the tops?

1 Like

You bet! If you are on FB he shares stuff almost daily. He’s actually making more tops right now than throws. He’s making these RAD delrin/plywood ones right now that make me wish I was any good at that. He is a joy to watch with the spin top!

2 Likes

Here’s some I ripped from his FB -

6 Likes

Spent some time at Jon’s shop last night it was really awesome! Got to see him turn a top firsthand it was so cool!

11 Likes

recently acquired OG-OM i dig it. After watching ed haponik do some crazy stuff like spirit bomb with a 70 year old imperial shaped piece of wood, i want to see him throw a 0A finger spin with this, lol.

3 Likes

I got a " SE Ten - house laminated maple fixed axle yoyo" from him about a month ago. It plays great and the surface is super smooth. Like he sands his stuff more meticulously than anything. Feels like Delrin almost.

2 Likes

I have the Retro Gamer. It’s great. It’s really light when held but feels perfect when thrown. I’m planning to pick up an SE Ten if I can find one.

i got one too and its beautiful, just feels too light and delicate to throw it more.

For me, it feels really solid for the weight. I have heavier fixies that I worry will burn through the string on longer sleepers (because it’s happened) and I have much less concerns about that with the Retro Gamer.