It is impossible to be sad while playing with a yo-yo (my origin story)

I did a tiny bit of yo-yo in the mid-80s when I was a kid, but I was never very good and never had any way to learn any new stuff – heck, how did we learn anything before the Internet, anyway?

I rediscovered yo-yos in September 2017 when my 8 year old son came home with a Duncan Butterfly XT. I was like, wow! This is awesome, but very basic … I wonder what a nicer yo-yo would be like? I started with the cheap metals on Amazon (sadly this included a Sidekick Pro) and from there found “real” yoyo shops online, as well as the ■■■■■■■■■■ videos to learn the basics. Yo-yos remind me of scooters. There’s something timeless and essential about them, they are these tiny basic machines that just… do one thing really well. Simplicity, yet surprising depth the more time you spend with it.

I also found that throwing helped me with some depression issues I’d been having off and on since earlier in 2017. What with the dismal state of american politics (seriously, WT-ever-lovin-F) and the way the tech industry I am in has become quasi-evil in some ways, I dunno, I just wasn’t so sure I wanted to be a human any more. I desperately needed something else outside of tech to focus on, and all I knew was, throwing these hand gyroscopes made me feel better. Tinkering with these hand gyroscopes made me feel better. Learning basic tricks and techniques for hand gyroscopes made me feel better. And down the rabbit hole I went… let me tell you when I go down a rabbit hole I go down harrrrd. I do not half-■■■■■■■■■■■ I … ■■■3 them. Maybe even ■■■■■■ them. I tend to become borderline obsessive.

But I also wanted to do something for other people, not just myself. So I started giving out throws to virtually everyone I knew, or had ever interacted with in any meaningful way in the past. I began by mailing out Shutters via Amazon, but I quickly realized that sending people an unresponsive throw to start with is kinda… cruel. Very few people have the patience to look at an unresponsive throw someone randomly sent to them, even a very nice one, and say “I’m gonna conquer this thing!” (Now the people that do say this, are kinda my people in general. But it’s a big ask and a little unfair as a an unsolicited gift that makes you do a bunch of work… to get it to work at all.)

So. Over time I started refining my technique, and I came up with this package that I mail to basically everyone I know (after asking them if it’s OK if I send them a little present for being there for me in the past), to hopefully share my joy of yo-yo with others:

That is:

• Basic responsive plastic yoyo (YYR Fay)
  • Quality unresponsive metal throw
  • Four extra strings
  • Calvin and Hobbes comic aka “wtf did you send this to me”
  • A YYE pro trading card aka “did you know you can get amazingly good at this?”

The Fay is great since it’s from a solid brand, and has been on sale for $10 for a long time and includes a bundled extra wide bearing. The metal throw varies but I tend to shoot for something roughly around the Silenius level of value, though if it’s someone I especially admire I’ll make it a bimetal, or a fancy brand pro model. I’ve sent out dozens of these little packages, and I’ve scientifically determined that 7 stamps or roughly $3.50 worth of postage will get them anywhere in the US:

Now, the reaction to what I sent varies, as you’d expect. Some people don’t reply at all. Some people give it a chuckle, reply with a quick thanks email “haha haven’t thought of yo-yos in years!”, and that’s it. I write this in reply, along with a link to the “simplest bind ever” video and a basic explanation of responsive vs. unresponsive, letting them know they have both kinds in the package to explore and experiment with.

Steve Martin once said it is impossible to be sad while playing the banjo. I believe this is also true of yo-yos.

Others, a rare few, really enjoy it – the yo-yo connects to something deeper inside them, like it did for me:

Steve Martin is one of my heroes. He also used to write for the Smothers Brothers who, of course, did a lot of yo-ing.

Also, my shrink loves the things. I’ve been using them to distract me when the PTSD hits. Normally I go to the marijuana for PTSD, but it sucks having to drug myself calm. Seriously, playing with a yo-yo is almost as effective as whatever people take for PTSD (since there’s no standard treatment protocol, PTSD patients have to make some of this up as we go along).

So, thanks again. Not just for some fun, cool things I could never have justified buying for myself, but for the fact that those things have been beneficial to my mental health.

It’s odd, because even though I sent that Steve Martin quote out a bunch of times, before that one person wrote me I hadn’t considered why I personally had become so obsessive about throwing. I didn’t realize it was an outlet to improve my own mental health, that I was driving myself down because I had to, otherwise there were some dark nihilistic places looming on my horizon. But there it was, and damn if he wasn’t right.

It is impossible to be sad while playing with a yo-yo. And that’s the greatest gift of all.

64 Likes

Yoyoing always cheers me up. Great to hear it does for you too!

5 Likes

Greatly appreciate the story.

Also, loved the Unix philosophy plug in there.

This perspective is a good refresher for me, since I started and kept yoyoing simply because it was fun and challenging.

2 Likes

Amazing write up! You’re a hero amongst the people.

5 Likes

Revival, i want people to see this.
Cant believe i only saw this post now

@codinghorror is a true hero in this community.

The yoyo community is always full of people who are generous and welcoming. Im glad i have encountered yoyoing and the community.

14 Likes

I’m just surprised nobody poked fun at him for “hand gyroscopes”.

8 Likes

Yes, you can yoyo while sad, I’ve beat up a yoyo or two because of it :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t think you do, but if you need any more cards for your packages let me know. Been meaning to make a post to unload all the extra cards that I have :+1:

5 Likes

I purposely swung a Duncan Hornet, and a Loop 360 at the ground in anger. The Pieces of the Hornet are now in a field and there is a bearing from the Loop 360 somewhere in my apartment. It flew away when I proved that I could destroy anything that another human created. Those episodes occurred towards the end of the era in my life I refer to as Looping Aspirations are Futile.

5 Likes

Im sure almost everyone has had these types of moments in yoyo. Frustration of not landing a trick leads to anger, which leads to lashing out at the cursed yoyo you are currently using. I lost a cap to my Duncan Pro Z because I wound up and just chucked it at the wall. Must have fell behind a cabinet or something, because I was never able to find the other cap to this day.

And holy s***, ~150 yoyos in 4 months? I became obsessed starting last year and ive only managed to buy 14, and I thought I was overdoing it. It is definitely a great toy, so it is nice to see that you are active in promoting the hobby to others.

Funny thing is, when I was first getting back into yoyos the idea of an unresponsive bearing in one that would spin for minutes on end was an overwhelmingly amazing concept to me. I showed my brother (who also yoyoed with me back in the 90s during the yoyo boom), and it surprised me that he was indifferent. He was like, ‘a yoyo that you need to bind to come back up, how tedious’. I showed him a combo that would have previously been pro-level (basically a double or nothing back to a trapeze, and into a bind) back on the yoyos we used to use, and he just shrugged. Going to have to prove it to him that it’s a cool hobby one of these days, lol

9 Likes

I imagine that’s the most common reaction we’re likely to get from civilians. I’m a little surprised it came from someone previously into yoyos, but I guess when some people burn out on yoyoing they really burn out on yoyoing.

3 Likes

I stayed away from binding for as long as possible because it seemed difficult and was one more thing to learn and do at the end of tricks or whatever but now I try to make binding fun and not just do it from a straight down dead drop.

6 Likes

It surprised me too. I thought he would be shocked considering we were in the ‘how long can you make it sleep?’ camp back during the boom, but nope, zero interest. Im eventually going to prove to him how cool yoyos can be, but he might be more interested in my wooden fixed axle since you dont have to bind it. I don’t see him ever putting in the practice, but I want him to admit that it is still cool. Yoyos are cool, arent they? /goes back to yoyoing in my bedroom where nobody can see me.

5 Likes

wow, very deep! beautiful said!

true, yo-yo’s always seem to cheer people up.
and as long you are happy when throwing, why not? and if it helps ? why not?
my dad is like: " stop with the stupid yo-yo, you are 25 now!"
but he never saw me doing tricks, just messing around with up-down motion.
I’m sure I’ll put a smile on his face, someday, when doing tricks in front of him.

I like it when your son came home with a yo-yo , and got you into it again:smile:

keep spreading the happiness of yo-yo :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

No, for me people get EXTREMELY amazed, especially when I bring out the offstring

1 Like

If you bring him to a comp then he can see how the hobby/sport/community is then might be more interested

I can’t even get my brother to come out for metal shows (his gf always has something planned), so there is absolutely no way he would be interested. Im a lot better than I was the first time I showed it to him (was able to trapeze to trapeze and his brother, then bind, lol), so I think ill show him again soon. Ill do some Matrix, Kwyjibo, and possibly Spirit Bomb once I can land it consistently. Ill prove to him that having to do a bind really isnt an inconvenience, and is actually a trick in itself.

You know, as I sit here waiting for my kids to get up, I’m sitting at my computer desk looking out the window watching the rain, I thought it was raining inside for a second.

I realized, it was tears, I don’t think there has been a post that sums up why I love skill toys, as much as this.

Military service has its tole on the human mind, but it’s always been the same thing, simple pleasure more often than not are our greatest comfort.

I’m glad to know a few things.

A. There are people that you can never have met in your life, no matter how far away, that can have the same love and passion about a hobby.

B. There are people that you have never met in your life, that might have very similar issues and might be able to help you.

C. Im glad most of all to have found this forum, is possibly the best time to have done so!

There, I’ll stop with the sappy stuff now.

15 Likes

Hey pal, thx for sharing ur story!

I broke up with my girlfriend last month, throwing yoyo helps me distracting from the depression and make me feel even happier some times.

I introduced reyoyoing just like what you have done to several of my friends. One of them are so into it, but others just throw and forget. But none of them show passion like I do. But I still quite enjoy making other people happy.

Now I am practising Advance tricks on YYE learning list, trying to make my rewind and McBride rollercoaster perfect. And learning Kwyjibo…

Bless u!

9 Likes

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

5 Likes

This is probably gonna sound lame to a lot of people, and it probably is, but whatever, I wanna put it out there anyway

I’ve only been enjoying this hobby for a few months now, starting in December this past year. I had been through my yoyo phase as a young kid, but never got past the basics on a Duncan butterly.

I was online and I saw something about yoyos that piqued my interest. A couple Google searches later, and I was on Amazon ordering myself my first metal unresponsive.

A day or two later, it arrived, and once again I was on the internet looking for how-to’s. That’s when I stumbled upon this place. Now, I’ve always liked forums, and have used quite a few of them to read about interests/hobbies in the past, but I’ve never actually made an account and posted. This is the first place I’ve ever actually been a real member of

And boy am I glad i decided to do that. I had made a couple posts, nothing significant, when I received a PM from @codinghorror offering me one of his awesome care packages. I was completely floored at the idea that a random stranger had offered to send me something cool, totally for free, just because.

As I continued to engage here, I realized just how amazing this community is. I was so glad to have found this place, as well as a new hobby that I really enjoy.

All of this came right around Christmas, and holidays have been a tough time for me for years now. I lost some family members a while back, so spending the special time of year alone has just been really difficult for me. This past year was especially rough. I had been really down when this whole string of events began, and it really pulled me out of a deep rut.

Just the incredible generosity, plus the way this place is almost entirely positive and welcoming completely turned my Outlook around. And having actually playing to distract me as well just totally helped me out of my depression.

So the moral of this massive novel, is yoyo, and you guys here the forum, are awesome and really helped me through a dark time when I needed it the most

14 Likes