Issues with yyf shutter

I have had this shutter for nearly 2 years now and a month ago the yoyo went responsive. I cleaned the bearing and it didn’t work so I cleaned then lubed the bearing(to see if it needed both) it was still responsive so I cleaned the bearing and the bearing seat on the yoyo and it still didn’t work so I switched the bearing out with on from another one of my other yoyos that was playing fine and then the same thing happend. So I ordered 2 new bearings(2 incase the first one went responsive) and fast forward to now they just arrived and I put one of them in the yoyo and it went responsive. Do any of you have any ideas on what could be wrong with the yoyo and how I might be able to fix it?

Have you checked the response pads?

I actually changed them about 1 week before this happend

Did you by chance, use a wooden toothpick in the response slots after you removed the old response pads, to make sure there was no sticky adhesive in the slots?

Many times the old response pads just come out cleanly without leaving any adhesive behind.

Sometimes, though, response pads come out but leave a little film of adhesive in the slots.

You can still install the New pads…. But if they are installed over some residue, the pads won’t seat as deeply and that would effectively narrow down your gap. It only takes a little change in gap width to alter responsiveness.

…. If, you can take out one response pad without ruining it, do that, and then throw the yo-yo. Does the yoyo just fall down the string? If it rolls down the string with good power, is it still responsive with only one pad? Or is it dead unresponsive at that point?

…… question> why did you change the pads in the first place?

3 Likes

If the bearing has a louder sound than usual, then the bearing might be broken. Happened to me before. I’m not really an expert on bearing maintenance :person_shrugging:

I used the yyf multi tool to get the pads off and then I did my best to get rid all the adhesive out and I think I did get all of it out. Thanks for the seggestions on what I should do.
I switched the response pads because I hadn’t changed them for a year.

I thought that could be a reason but then it happended with 2 other bearings thanks for the help anyway :slight_smile:

If its not the bearing it might be your new response pads. Are they too thick? Do they stick out of the groove in any way?

If its not the bearing nor the pads, are you using like fat string or something? Maybe its too fat.

If its none of those things, did you bang it super hard or maybe damage the bearing seat in some way?

If none if the above, then i dunno then lol. There is a shutter on BST here for $15 plus shipping if you go that far down the list.

I’m using yyf 19mm yellow pads and I have sochi string on the yoyo. The yoyo has been knocked on the floor a few time but it still played perfectly and smooth after every time but it never hut the ground hard.
I don’t think I have damaged the bearing seat either.
Thanks for the recommendation for the shutter on the BST.

Do these bearings remain responsive if you put them in another yo-yo?

When I took a fine working bearing out of 1 yoyo I put the other from the shutter in that one and it did play a bit responsive but I wouldn’t say as much as it did in the shutter

Mysterious.

This is what I would try, if you haven’t already: take a known-good bearing, remove the shields, clean it thoroughly and run it with no lubricant.

Thanks I’ll give it a try.

Hey
So I haven’t tried any of the suggestions for fixing my shutter yet(bc I was procrastinating) but I went to throw it last night(to see if it was still responsive) and I did a tech combo with it and the when I finished the combo I gave it a tug and the yoyo didn’t act responsive. So that confused me alot but I was mostly just happy that it was working again. I played with it for a few more minutes then it went responsive again, I did that same tech combo again and then it went unresponsive after that, it happend 1 more time I did the same thing and it was fine. Fast forward to today I picked it up and threw it for a few minutes and it was unresponsive :man_shrugging: thanks for the seggestions anyway I will still definitely use them if this problem comes back up in the future​:slightly_smiling_face: