Is using hubstack like finger spin counts as finger spin?

Title says it all.
Personally I don’t think it is finger spin, but I’m curious what you think.

2 Likes

Nope it’s a Hubstack Balance lol IMO your finger isn’t directly interacting with the yoyo itself so I wouldn’t count it as a finger spin :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Who’s Judging? A yoyo player or the general population? If you can pop up a finger spin on a Hubstack thats still a good trick to DNA from. Hubstack Pull Starts to a Fingerspin DNA bind will be rather impressive move to about 99% of the people in the world. Have Fun and Just play Yo-Yo.

11 Likes

If it’s spinning on your finger, it’s a finger spin

6 Likes

Are we really going to gate keep finger spins now?
Just go throw.

kgb

8 Likes

Who is the gatekeeper of the yo-yo Illuminati, is there a keymaster as well, ooo just in time for the Holiday.

The idea has been floating in some form post for a min… It has come up, if you can not do a finger spin set of tricks, with out a finger spin dimple then you really do not know how to finger spin. Well…

I agree and we all should forsake all yo-yo advancement in yo-yo engineering, inner rim lip for thumb grids, finger spin dimples, bearings, metal and plastic all sacrilegious to the original yo-yo. Do not get me started on the on person who started this all…
Mr.T.K. had to be a show off and change things and make all the normal wood and plastic
yo-yos, feel so under appreciated.

** ( above are all silly jokes not serious.) **

I love all advances in yo-yo engineering in every way no matter if I can use the advancement or not because some one can. I can not wait to see them do what ever it is they do with said advancement.

Serious who could the Keymaster and Gatekeeper be in our yo-yo community?
I had some ideas but… people have feathers so I will not ruffle them. Someone else is free to.
Keymaster ?
Gatekeeper ?

Everyone have a great start to the week.

Ok… here is a slightly different angle to complicate the matter and give a better starting point in deciding if a hubstack/finger spin should be acceptable>

Let’s say this thread got 1000 responses.

Let’s say All 1000 responses said the same thing…… if you can land the hubstack on your finger, a finger spin it is.

Now, let’s say somebody with Deep Pockets decides to post up a Fingerspin Challenge. To enter, you only have to post up a legit unedited video of yourself doing your most amazing finger spin.

The Winner gets $1,000 cash.

The Winner will be the person with the longest timed Fingerspin.

50 people enter. Every one of them is a Fingerspinning Freak of Nature. 49 of the entrants spin the yo-yo directly on the top of their finger, using only the cup or dimple in the cup. Their spin times average 75 seconds.

The 50th contestant uses a hubstack to accomplish his Fingerspin entry. He spin lasts for 5 minutes and 27 seconds.

Do the 49 Losers lift the Winner over their heads and take him to dinner?

Or do they cry Foul and Mosh Pit the guy with a 13 minute Ground and Pound?

Example #2>

For some odd reason, Contest Judges actually decide that finger spins will be accepted as point earning tricks. Although they have no visual impact on the impressive scale like: Superman, Ladder Escape or Breath, they have a certain nuisance value worth scoring.

The Judges decide the longer the finger spin, the more points. Instead of just scoring a click per trick segment, during finger spins, the Judges just keep clicking until your spin burns out.

You enter a major Yo-yo Contest after practicing 10 hours a day for an entire year. You are ready. You are synced. Before they call you up on stage, you threw for 21 minutes and hit every Banger you know with your eyes closed and your hands tied behind your back.

But the guy that goes up on stage before you lands a Finger Spin on a Hubstack that lasts 3 full minutes and the Judges give him 4 million Points.

Is that ok because a finger spin is a finger spin?

5 Likes

“Finger spin”

Definition is yoyo spinning on finger

With a cup yoyo it’s a finger spin.
With a spike yoyo it’s a finger spin.
With a hubstack yoyo it’s a finger spin.

It’s all finger spin.

2 Likes

Imo, it’s a finger spin, just slightly less impressive.

2 Likes

cool. so now the “go / no go” test is if it impresses you.

got it.

thanks for clearing that up.

@JeiCheetah has it right. it’s all about a toy that we enjoy spinning on your finger. nothing more.
a throw spinning on the tip of your finger = finger spin. doesnt matter if it’s a hubstack, dimple, spike, flat, cup…who cares?

you’re going to see someone doing a finger spin and be like “yeah…that’s cool and all…but it’s not really impressive because you’re using a hubstack or a dimple or whatever…”???

not me. i’m going to see it and think that it’s really cool and impressive that someone is doing that.

we seriously need to check our egos at the door here. get over ourselves and our preconceptions of what we think is right or wrong, good or bad and just be happy that people are into this hobby and supporting it. telling someone that what they are doing isn’t an acceptable finger spin is only going to dissuade them and make them think that this hobby is full of egos.

let it go.
clap. give them props for doing it. high five. something positive.

unless you are in some competition that specifies some limits on what an “acceptable” method of finger spinning is, why would you even care?

enjoy the throw my friends
kgb

3 Likes

:earth_americas: :astronaut: :gun: :astronaut:

I should have been more clear. It’s not that I would find the finger spin itself less impressive, but more the duration of the spin. It could be compared to someone doing a 30 second sleeper with a bearing yoyo vs a fixed axle. I do agree that we should care less about the technicalities and just enjoy throwing.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a fingerspin.

1 Like

Also to add to the complications:
If finger spin means yoyo spinning on finger, does this means inner ring grind is also finger spin?

I would say that yes, it is ok since in your example the community and contest judges voted as such and them’s the rules of the game. Choosing equipment that will offer the greatest advantage within the rules is part of being a clever competitor.

Your examples could be slightly modified to compare fixed axle yoyos to ball-bearing yoyos. Fixie purists could very well argue that a sleeper with a ball-bearing yoyo is not a real sleeper by using that logic.

To respond to the OP’s question, I’d opine that hubstacks are another technical advancement in yoyoing just like anything else. They come with disadvantages as well as advantages and while they do make some things easier, they also offer a chance to push the envelope further and develop more advanced tricks. A hubstack fingerspin is absolutely a fingerspin in my opinion. The difficult part of a fingerspin is landing it, for me at least. extending the spin time just offers more potential.

Ivan

4 Likes

Your fixed angle argument makes sense to me. I think hubstack fingerspins count as fingerspins now.

2 Likes