Is the YYF Legend Wing a proper fixed axle yoyo?

I want to try some fixie stuff but don’t want to spend too much just yet.

2 Likes

Yes, I have heard of a lot of people that like them. They are a little light for my personal preference but they are definitely made well.

3 Likes

Yep it is. Just make sure to pick up some cotton size 10 & string tension is everything… And that need a lot of practice to know where everything is right… :slight_smile:
Cheers

5 Likes

I am one of the lots of people who likes them.

It’s not the best fixed axle out there, but price wise it can’t be beat. I find that they do need breaking in a little before they can fulfill their potential.

You might find that the inner walls are a bit rough so a good trick to smooth it out is to get some poly string and rub it through the response area a few times, that should take any of the larger wood fibres.

Everyone should have one in their collection.

4 Likes

It absolutely is. A little light for most serious fixed axle players’ preference. But very well balanced (as it should be since it is a one-piece) and an excellent value at $10.

The Legend Wing will let you figure out if you like fixed axle play. If you do, great. You can start lusting over expensive wood throws. If not, you’re only out $10.

9 Likes

Thanks guys!

3 Likes

The light weight makes the Legend Wing a good choice to start with on modern fixie stuff. Stalls and Moons, are great with it.

Even though it’s light it, spins well, and it’s fun to try to do 1a tricks on it.

I suggest you shorten the string. Also, order it with lots of cotton string! Either 8 or 10 type works fine for me.

5 Likes

Well, I personally am a legend wing hater. I guess primarily because it’s just way too light for my preferences?

2 Likes

I mean, I’m just looking for something to get started on.

1 Like

Sure, it’s fine to get started on! This is where I get sad that Tom Kuhn basically isn’t making any more yo-yos … ever :sob:

2 Likes

I make nice wooden yoyos, Jeff. Which apparently you don’t want.

I think the Legend wing is a good yoyo, but I find it a little light for me. Most of mine are less than 45g.

4 Likes

Get a BC Apollo if you can find one for $15 or less. But yeah the Legend Wing is a good fixed axle.
Here’s one on the cheap. If the stripes lined up I’d be buying it.

6 Likes

@DocPop can really shred the Legend Wing

4 Likes

I do! But I want a hardcoat / lacquer finish on the outside.

1 Like

:musical_note:I would make anything for Jeff,
anything he’s been dreaming of,
but no I wont make that.:musical_note:

5 Likes

The heart wants what the heart wants, Glen!

4 Likes

Would you make a wooden DV888?

2 Likes

Ah… No.

2 Likes

This excellent advice as well. Solid yo-yos.

4 Likes

Is cotton string necessary for fixed axle