Is the YYF Legend Wing a proper fixed axle yoyo?

Not really - if you’re doing the slower stall-based style it won’t melt polyester. If you’re throwing really hard sleepers it might, though.

2 Likes

I got mine! From an actual store too!

7 Likes

Also does anyone know what the composition of Buddha string is?
(Polyester or 50/50)
Would it be better for fixed axle than kitty fat?

Buddah XL is fatter than Kitty fat, it’s still 100% polyester though. I haven’t tried either for fixie yet.

1 Like

I think this is flat out not true any more. I’ve thrown ton of wood axles on poly as hard as I could and never once got to melting point or even a singing smell. Maybe if you play them like loopers? :thinking:

I said maybe because I haven’t actually managed to melt any without a lighter. I haven’t tried for more than 15 minutes though.

The truly funny thing is that I’ve broken 10+ cotton strings on wood axles. But not a single poly…

1 Like

This has been my experience for the most part as well. I think most modern fixies/strings are past this.

The only fixie that has had a problem with poly for me lately has been my TMBR Sullivan; that thing melts poly and causes major snags for me. Plays beautifully with cotton though!

2 Likes

So weird. I wonder why?

Yeah, i can’t figure it out. It’s the only one i have to use cotton with, but watcha gonna do, right? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I threw my Harbinger for a few hours yesterday with Kitty string hard and had zero issues. Is this melt thing only an issue when it causes snagging?

I’ve melted kitty strings on a Duncan Butterfly throwing hard conservative throws back to back for 20 minutes. I like the feel of cotton on wood and change them out when the cord wrap texture starts going flat. With fixed axles and hard throwing strings don’t last like they do with ball bearings. Just change them often. I like the stock strings on the Legend Wing, they last a while if you’re not throwing straight gas on complex 1A tricks back to back.

1 Like

To be fair, I have trouble with white string either YYE regular or TYPE 10. In both cases, I have trouble getting the yoyo to be enough responsive…

Do any of you have any tips on how to make the Wings more responsive, with black and red regular I have no problem but I presume it has to do with the dye in the cotton. I know for tops, different colors react quite differently, so I’m sure there is something like this at play…

That said, everyone says Type 10 is the best and yet, I can’t seem to get it to respond properly. Especially after some stall regen where the yoyo is not spinning very fast… ( one example I have is left side of the body regen like in Makin’ da zine… )

What I found out that seem to help quie a bit is that I wind away from my body until I get a grip on the axle, then snap start the rest of the way. Alos if the string tension is jacked all the way, it works too but no fun to play that way…

So. Any tips ? I’m throwing a Legend Wing with either type 6 or type 10 ( 2 size at YYE ) white string.

Thanks guys

2 Likes

YYE’s strings seem slick to me. I’m not much of a fan of them (the strings…I LOVE yye though! lol).

Have you tried just regular pure cotton strings?

Where can I get some ( other than making some myself with a drill ? )

Wood fixed axle and response is still a bit of a mystery to me, see

My best current guess based on what I’ve experienced in play is that you need some string tension / twist (not a ton, just “some”) for things to work properly on wood fixed axles. But even then, sometimes… it just acts weird.

I’d also add that I think it’s almost universally better when there is a formal response system of some kind (drilled holes, friction stickers, homemade cut starburst) even on wood fixed axles…

2 Likes

That linked post contains amazing info… I never have played much with unresponsive metal yoyos tho :slight_smile: I’m coming from a spintop background of all things :slight_smile: I absolutely love 0A b/c it feels like it’s impossible yet with muscle memory it’s easy to hit certain tricks consitatnly ( given that the damn yoyo respond :slight_smile: ) I’m awaiting on a TMBR Morrow this week, This one also being one without response system, I hope I won’t be disapointed, I was undecided between the hildy bros currier or a tmbr… so…

Anyway,
Keep spinnin’
paxl

2 Likes