Is the yoyo community declining?

Nope. I wouldn’t. I still play video games, but this is what I’ve noticed:

After the Sandy Hill incident, nearly all of the video game stores in my region, their business is in the toilet. Why? Apparently this is a misguided backlash against the FPS games, which I can’t say I have no use for, but they aren’t really my thing. I’m not immune to FPS games, but I do like Mech Warrior 3, which, if I recall, is basically a mechanized FPS type game. However, the realizm is toast.

Anyhow, what is interesting is that at one store, a Game Stop, their business literally(and still is) went from packed with kids to “I don’t see anyone but employees in there anymore”. The comic book store next door can’t sell enough kendamas after that event. They still can’t. Kendamas fly off their shelves, out of boxes and off the pegs. They almost can’t keep the stuff in stock. I’ve certainly done my fair share as I’ve bought most of my kendamas there.

I think kids want an activity, and being booted from their couches and comfy chairs, they gotta get up and do something. Hey, kendamas are everywhere… wait, what’s this yoyo thing? I think kids want something that’s a real challenge better than mashing buttons on a controller.

I also feel that people such as myself being rather “public” with the fact I play with yoyos helps too. Kids are interested. Present them with options, they may surprise you with their choices if given the opportunity.

Parents my age(I’m 41 right now) remember “way back”. I remember way back to 1975-1977 walking through Golden Gate Park(where BAC is held), seeing bunches of kids, mostly 10 and ups, teenagers and young adults, standing around at the edge of paths playing with yoyos, especially on the weekend. The “really good kids” had Butterfly yoyos, the rest had Imperials. We didn’t have video games, internet or cell phones. We had cards, dice, board games, metal disentanglement puzzles and all sorts of other toys I had and miss and wish I had back again. Social Networking was “go to the park and talk to people”. Facebook was “facetime”. Instagram was “looking through photo albums”.

The next batch of kids are the ones making the kids now into yoyo and they missed that surge. They don’t have as strong of a memory of yoyo, so they can’t pass it forward. I myself didn’t exactly pass it forward. My venture ended quickly in 1977, ending in early 1978. Yet, the desire remained. In 2011, I started yoyo “for reals” this time, and my then 4 year old son decided to get in on this. I figured he’d fail, but he didn’t, so it’s a good thing I gave in to him on this one. My desire to get into yoyo was fueled by injuries and needing other hobbies other than moving heavy sound gear, plus as a back-lash to video games and all my kids toys needing batteries, making noises and having little motors. Imagine 20+ ZhuZhu pets making noises at night and I’m trying to find which one of those ******* things are making noise and driving me insane. ENOUGH!!! Why can’t we have toys that WE play, not toys that play themselves? Yeah, it’s fun watching a ZhuZhu pet scurry around, for like 5 minutes. What else does it do? That’s it. Skill toy? Limited by skill and imagination, no end to what you can do. Yeah, that’s a toy! That’s what I’m talking about!

Right now, I think parents AND kids are looking for something different. Yoyo is fun. It’s a challenge. It’s a skill toy. Not everyone is doing it, not everyone wants to, not everyone can, but it’s there. Having contests in malls kind of puts skill toys in the faces of the general public. Honestly, they NEED this exposure, so kids can know about other options.

I feel the hill is reaching a peak though. I feel it will be a couple of years out, then a steady but slow decline, then back up again. Then again, it may peak and then crash, bottoming out, leaving people like me with a deep drive and interest to keep pushing through during the dark times, which I will.

Choices. We need more choices. We need to be presented with more choices. We need to know the choices so we can make better qualified decisions.

I can spend $60 on Madden annually, or $120 on a yoyo I can use forever. I can watch my console get out of date and no longer play my older games(a trend that is changing, thank goodness as newer consoles play older games, which is smart and I like), but yet that yoyo is still playing! Sure, it needs new strings and response pads and maybe a new bearing, but that’s zilch compared to video game habits. Then again, my yoyo habit is equally as excessive as some people’s video game habits.

As far as video games are concerned, I’m into lame stuff. My Nintendo DS has Nintendogs, ANimal Farm Wild World, SimCity(that blows, thank goodness I got it for $8) and Pokemon White 2 so I can play with my kids.

What was the topic? Nevermind. I gotta go write a manual for my X32 audio console. Bye!

1 Like

Actually, I have been throwin 2a, mainly while sitting or lying down. So technically from my viewpoint, yoing is not ‘declining’ but ‘Reclining’.

My 5a keeps running into problems.

My 1A is experiencing growth difficulties.

My 3A is causing a lot of damage.

And my 4A has a lot of ups and downs. Sometimes right down to the Ground!

But yoyoing declining?

The thought makes me kinda sick. Matter o fact, every time I lay down to practice my 2A, I Throw Up. Up towards the ceiling, mainly.

Tru story.

2 Likes

In a word: Dramamine!

When we meet at Nats, I’ll make sure I am covered by a tarp. I don’t want to get booted on, especially if we run into each other while I’m floundering with my own 2A “progress”.

I throw, the yoyos’ up, towards the ceiling. It was a weak attempt at low grade humor.

1 Like

How is it that every time someone asks a question about the state of the yoyo community, you have to bring up school shootings, video games, and your audio business?

Hop on the Relevant Bus, man.

2 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t realize you missed the Mass Media Train for the past year. Sorry.

Ding, Ding, Ding… there it goes.

Look, the reality is, at least in my area, after that school shooting incident, skill toys took off and video games tanked. Not like a few days after, but like THAT DAY. However, news around the country is reporting video game sales are down nationwide. They aren’t reporting skill toy sales are up , so I don’t know what’s going on in other areas. Walking through strip malls and covered malls, seeing that video game stores pretty much empty when before they were constantly packed… hey, just reporting what I am seeing and what I’m hearing and what I’m reading.

I’m going to sci-fi and anime conventions(part of my sound jobs) and hearing mostly voice talent whining about their income being down since the type of games they do voice-over is down, and/or sales for said games is also DOWN. I’m talking with many of the video game companies(since I’ve done network design for them) and they are whining about low sales as a reason they aren’t giving me a retainer contract anymore, and their stock value backs up the hard times. I’ve got friends who frequent video game shops WAY more than I do, and they are also saying the stores are mostly empty. I go into something like wal-mart or target and there’s hardly anyone in the video game sections, which I find unusual there since the games they carry tend to not be the “problem game” genre.

I’m sure you talk to LOTS of people. NO, I’m not being sarcastic. I’m positive over the course of a week, you’ve talked to a lot of people. So do I. I am hearing lots of parents telling me they took away their kids video games because of the Sandy Hill shooting. Some parents have said they bought their kids kendamas. I see kendamas everywhere, so what they are saying is backed-up with tangible evidence. Now, seeing my pathetic yoyo’ing, they want their kids to get into yoyo. A store I regularly work with that sells kendamas told me flat out that the day after the shooting, their kendama sales took off and have been in high demand ever since, while the video game store next door is failing due to low sales, even during the holiday season, which I have also witnessed myself. Another store I work with has noted more skill toy meet attendance and sales after the incident in question.

So, when I see a shift from video games to skill toys, well then, according to the great Steve Brown, my eyes are misleading me.

But, then again, you’re an oracle and you’re all-knowing, so why bother debating with you, right?

I’m wrong, you’re right.

You’re omnipotent; I’m just a “regular joe”. I bow to your superiority.

Fine. Got it. Done. Thanks for correcting my observations. I appreciate it.

Gotta get back to writing a manual on the X32 for my crew.

I got it. I just decided to run with it a bit.

1 Like

I feel like you didn’t read his message, but recognized it was criticism, and then just decided to prove him right.

You have no idea what you’re talking about with regards to the video game industry, the skill toy industry in general, or the yoyo industry in particular. Attempting to insult me isn’t going to draw attention away from the fact that I’ve been making my living in this industry for 18 years while you’re just a guy who runs sound at a couple of yoyo contests. Thanks for your contributions, but please don’t think you’re a match for me on this subject. I don’t know about much, but I know a hell of a lot about yoyos and the industry. A hell of a lot.

I don’t wax poetic on the video game industry because it’s not my industry. But if you really think the video game industry is dying because of school shootings, then please explain how GTAV did $800 million in sales in one day. Were all the parents in the world just looking the other way on that one? Hey, wanna talk about how mobile gaming has decimated the console industry? We shouldn’t. Because I don’t know much about it, and I’m sure you know less.

I realize that you’re the type of guy that likes to hang out and “be an expert”, mostly just by virtue of being the guy talking the most. Please feel free to chime in when someone asks about PA systems, but when when it comes to the actual yoyo industry and it’s health, have a seat and let someone else drive.

No, I’m not omnipotent. FAR from it. But here, on this subject, I’m the guy who knows what he’s talking about and you’re a hobbyist who just got here. There’s nothing wrong with that at all, and I welcome every new face to the community. But don’t set up shop and pretend to be an expert; it’s insulting to those of us who actually make our living here.

3 Likes

Am I allowed to be the residential video game guy? I have a podcast with my friends about nerdy things, and I’m the video game guy, oh please oh please???

1 Like

DO EEEEEEEEET!!!

So the gaming industry is actually still on a steep uphill climb. Like previously stated, GTAv just sold 800 Million dollars worth of product overnight, literally. It hit a billion dollars just two days later, and is set to make ANOTHER BILLION with the release of GTA Online and the micro-transactions that it will introduce. Now, you will see a decline in GameStop attendance after the Sandy Hook shooting, but that’s due to the fact that video games never ever release in the two weeks before Christmas, the hottest time for video games to drop is August-November. Why is that, you say? Because one of the biggest demographics for video games are males between the age of 18 and 35. Mostly on the lower end of the scale, IE: College aged students. What happens in August? They get pretty pretty student loan money. And they are happy to blow it. The reason video games are hard pressed to release in December (barring severe delays) is because they want to hit the shopping extravanganze that is Black Friday, and also they want to give people time to hype up how great the game is. Nothing makes people want to have their parents buy them a game more than hearing “Oh my god, it’s amazing” from their best friends. That can’t happen in the two or so weeks leading up to Christmas, because colleges are out. The video game industry thrives so hard on college life that it is almost sickening.

Also, a mistaken downward trend in GameStop attendance can also be attributed to the fact that, there just aren’t that many “good” releases anymore. Don’t take that and say that it proves that the gaming industry is on a decline, because it’s not. Each major developer puts it’s teams on one VERY VERY big project (GTA V is a great example. It had a budget of nearly 300 mil, and the credits run for a half hour) because it’s easier to talk up one big project than 4 medium projects or 16 small projects. They still put out other games, don’t get me wrong, but the majority of time and effort get put into the things they KNOW will sell (Halo, COD, GTA, Madden -to a lesser extent). Indy companies are what tide most of us gamers over until the next huge release. Also, GameStops are dying out due to a little thing called Digital Downloads. Whenever you hear about “The Calamity of the first day release not having enough servers” that’s all comingfrom a digital download prospective, and that’s the future of gaming.

Also, a lot of us people in (I include myself in this because I do make a little profit off of the gaming industry, I talk about it as a part of my job and I am a gamer true and true) the gaming industry are starting to believe that the next gen of consoles is where console gaming as we know it will end. Look at a side by side comparison of Xbox 360 gameplay and Xbox One gameplay. The naked eye can’t tell the difference for a normal gamer, you literally have to be an inch away from your screen to tell the difference. Now, the jump form 2k to 4k is a “big” one, but it’s at the point where it has just stopped mattering. If you look back at the xbox vs Xbox 360 comparisons, it’s literally like looking at a picasso vs my nephew, but there isn’t a giant leap like there was in the past.

All that having been said. I’ve been fading out of the yoyoing community, so yeah, to me it seems like there has been a decline, but that’s because I’m not at the heart of it like I was two years ago.

Also, Steve, I still plan on getting the Triple Crown Monster Tattoo.

EDITEDITEDIT: If this thread gets deleted, can you please post this writeup somewhere. I like it.

I’ve never seen a kendema in person, but everyone I know plays FPS all the time.

The problem with current gen is it is forcing devs to reuse older engines. There is only so far you can go on 7 year old hardware.

That’s not an issue at all. In fact, I think GTA V proves that they can push this old hardware to the max without a problem.

What malfeasant is culpable for the derail of a comprehensible thread analyzing the vitality of the current yo-yo community into a diatribe about video games? Who is responsible for policing these forums anywho?

1 Like

No clue. I’m just the video game guy/

1 Like

What is so great about GTA V?

Do you want yoyos to be mainstream? [/Paul Escolar]

1 Like

The attention to detail. walk down any alley and there are assets that tke a ton of power to render. Like, the attention to detail is amazing

Gaming is actually slightly declining. Casual gamers are abandoning PC’s and consoles in favor of smart phones. The large audience the last-gen consoles had no longer exists. However, there may be more hardcore gamers now than before. A new record proves nothing, other than the fact that GTA has a very loyal following.

I feel that if anything it is growing stronger. Like, just look at how many prelims there were at worlds this year. Honestly, it was pretty absurd.