Is the Whip ok for beginning 5A?

Since we got some FHZ’s coming in, we will have a few counterweights to play with. Since I will be painting and modding them, I don’t want to use the FHZ’s to learn with in fear of sending one flying down the road or something.

I am wondering if a YYF Whip is ok or is it too light? I already have 2. If not a Whip, what about a YYF One. Just want something cheap I would not worry too much about screwing up.

I have personally used a ONE for 5a. I haven’t used it since I got into more serious 5a. They would probably be decent to try out 5a to see if you like it. After that you can probably pick up something with a little more heft or to suit you better if you choose to stick with it.

1 Like

I got bored and needed a change so I learned some 4A and 5A over the past few days. Not a lot though, but yes, I did learn some.

What did I choose for 5A? My Duncan Freakhand and modified FHZ. I use the bouncy ball that came with my FHZ so it won’t ding up the yoyo and I practice over carpet so when I drop it I shouldn’t have anything to worry about. I’m debating setting my stock FHZ and other FH2 up for 5A as well as my metal drifter and FHZ Pulse.

I personally think the ONE and WHIP are far too light for my tastes for 5A, but as far as catch zone is concerned, both are fine.

1 Like

I will try it out on the Whip. If I think I am interested then the next time I order, I will add a Throw Monkey, Freehand (or Freakhand) or Flying Panda Squirrel to the order. Just keep it set up for 5A. Cheap enough for me.

If your willing to buy something other than a Duncan, you might want to look into a PSG. I got one on thursday and I’m loving it for 5A. It doesn’t have the biggest gap(5 lindy loops tops) but for 5A it can handle anything. And since you already have a bunch of counterweights it’s only $16, the same as the price for a freakhand, and this one is unresponsive and has a C-sized bearing.

I will keep those in mind. I have a few other things I am committed to buying like a Thunderwasp and a anno job on another throw. Then I had a slight monetary setback. So once I get those 2 things out of the way, I will be free to get something for 5A. That is dependent on if I want to have a 5A setup.

I got one of my Whips hooked up to the bouncy ball. I think I got a stronger throw going now just gripping and catching is a little weird right now. Straight throws I am kinda sucking at.

As far as the Whips weight, it is not bad. I tried the double on trapeze release and it works fine. I have reversed it where I go trap and then throw the ball over the top to get into double on and it was fine. Doing that, a heavier yoyo might drop down.

Anyways, it is serving it’s purpose to try out 5A. I will slowly keep trying for now. I have other 1A tricks I wanting to learn so 5A fills in break times.

yes it’s good enough for just trying out, when you’ll get more serious into 5A, maybe switch for a YYJ destiny, then a more 5A dedicated throw or something you can tune for 5A such as a OD throw with side effects.

whip and one are light, but it’s possible, at least to begin and get an idea about 5A with these.

Any 1A yoyo works for 5A, its hard to kill yoyos these days, so I wouldn’t worry about damage much, unless aesthetics are that important too you.  If they are 5A isn’t going to be your thing I can tell you right now. 
I would suggest a metal yoyo that is stable, for beginners, really starting out with something light and unstable will make 5A seem much harder then it really is. 
It takes years beating a metal yoyo to get it unplayable unless you are purposely killing it. 
Anyhow there is a yoyo out call the PSG, it would be a good choice for a budget friendly stable yoyo.  You will need a counterweight with it if you don’t have one, yoyojam, and Duncan both sell spare counterweights.  Good luck…

this is not entirely true, there are horrible 1A throws that make great 5A throws and vice versa

while a good 5A player can play on anything, some throws are designed specifically to be used in CW play

I didn’t say any 1A yoyo is good for 5A just that they work. I stand behind that, you are wrong good sir.
Also most yoyos marked as 5A throws pale in comparison to stable 1A throws.
Drifters suck, yoyojams 5A throws blow. FHZ’s don’t even compare to modern 1A throws. What you are stating is an opinion not a fact. For example you may love said throw for 5A, but I may hate it. Most people agree that mg’s are not good for either 1A or 5A, but it is my favorite throw. If it can handle 1A at any level it can handle 5A, that just how it is.

yea well, you don’t want to argue obviously

I still love my Destiny for 5A, I’m having a blast throwing any of both trainwrecks (even if they’re a little old by now)

and I still hate throwing a pacquiao or an YWET in 5A. do a beesting with a destiny, than do it with a battosai.

but yea, you can say that I’m wrong, I don’t actually care that much and you won’t change my opinions on what throw I use to do my 5A because I actually try them and decide for myself.

of course, you can also deny all the manufacturer’s job in actually putting out 5A designed throws (SPYY Pure, YYF Severe, YYJ Destiny) of course they’re good for 1A for the most part, there is no big difference, but there is one and I stand by it.

you could also say any yoyo for 1A could “work” in 4A or any 2A yoyo could “work” for 1A, yea it would “work” as much as a hummer truck would “work” on a racetrack, or a ferrari would “work” for doing grocery shopping. Some people actually use them for those purposes.

whatever floats your boat, it’s your right to think that I’m an idiot, and it’s mine not to care that much.

just one thing, you play for 20 years, doesn’t it make sense to you that YOU can actually play with anything, but that beginners with less than perfect throw and only a bit of experience can actually feel a difference between a 5A designed throw and a regular 1A throw? to me, as a beginner, there is a difference because I don’t have the skill that would allow me to perform the same with just anything.

so long, I’m out of here now, obviously you don’t want to argue and only interested in being right. so ok, you’re right. good for you.

Now that hummers and ferraris come into the th conversation, I have seen a Porsche on 33" mud terrain tires and solid axle front an back. Still had the landowner 6 cylinder engine. Had a snorkel too. Any off road guys will understand how unique that would look. So inroad super ads can handle mud and anything else. Just saying…don’t judge them. As far as yoyos though, a lot of 1A throws are horrible 5A throws.

Hey bud didn’t mean to step on your toes, kinda’ funny you call me out for exactly what you did too me though.
For real though I wasn’t trying to cause animosity. Where chill.

I think once again, we’re proving how important individual preferences are.

I’m using my FHZ’s and FH2’s for 5A for now and I’m happy with it. I just don’t feel like adding a CW to my DM2 or even my glowing DieNasty or something else. I’m not saying what’s best or what’s right, just what I am doing.