Is my yoyo still playable while the ball bearing seat is chipped off by a little bit?

I was trying to take off the bearing from the yoyo and I tried so hard it came out while the yoyo screw was bended but luckily when I took it out the screw didn’t bend when I looked in the middle it looked like it had been chipped off is it still playable?

1 Like

A little piece of my bearing seat broke off a long time ago on my plastic yoyofactory whip and it still plays fine. It should be OK I’d imagine. Maybe post a picture.

Does it affect my performance and speed time cuz I tested it with different turning settings and the yoyo was in a uneven width and all of them reached 1 min (I’m a youngster and short that’s why it didn’t reach 2 minutes) so is it best to make it uneven or what

1 Like

What kind of yoyo is it? It didn’t with mine. Post a photo if you can. I’m not sure exactly what you mean.

It’s a scintillator c3yoyodesign yoyo

It’s width is kinda uneven due to the bearing seat

I’m not sure to be honest. I was thinking of like the outer edge part next to the response pad chipped. If it’s uneven it may play different. Hard to say without seeing it. I’m sure someone else on here probably can give you some better advice.

1 Like

I think I gotit I thighten my yoyo abit so the yoyo won’t be uneven and when I open the string and bind to make the yoyo bearing spin it still spin but like 75 percent of the spin is still there but like 25 percent of it is kinda gone so I’m wondering if its perfect or not now

This should be just fine. Only issue it may cause is making the bearing more difficult to seat. I would recommend you place the bearing on that half before reassembly. You may have to press down on it “a side at a time” back and forth until it’s fully seated but once it is…there should be no issue. Please let me know if this doesn’t make sense.

1 Like

that should be work fine because one of my yoyos is like that and it still plays fine.

1 Like

If the bearing seat damage was serious it would prob cause vibe. I wouldn’t worry otherwise

I think I fixed it with a longer screw but the downside part is the string when you open it to put it inside the yoyo the string will sometimes move to the centre and there is a gap due to the longer screw so it will move inside it but It should be ok cuz I tighten my yoyo and the gap is closed abit and I tested it it was still fine and the string didn’t went in the gap

Cut the axle screw to the same size as the original. That should fix it all.

2 Likes

Just curious how one would do that? Do you cut it? Or grind it?

Those axles are very small. I would imagine trying to cut one would be pretty tough without the proper tools.

I would thread a nut onto the hex end and then clamp the nut in a vise.

Then I would file the non-hex end down to achieve the target length and restore a slight taper, similar to the original end.

Finally, I would use a hex key to draw the newly cut end though the nut to chase any deformed thread back into shape.

Edit: truthfully, I would just bite the bullet and buy new, because a slightly off steel thread will easily damage an aluminum yoyo.

1 Like

A couple of different ways. I have a tool that cuts various screw sizes. I also have a cutting wheel for my Dremel tool, and sometimes I just use a side cutter. Note that with all of these methods I cut them a bit long and dress the cut end with a small grinding wheel for the Dremel tool to smooth out the cut thread. In some cases I will use a fine jewelers file to smooth out the cut. In cases where I use a cutting wheel or side cutter I will normally have a nut in place below the cut that I use to run out the threads after the cut. The cutting tool is threaded so that runs out the cut thread when you remove the screw from the tool.

1 Like

This is all quite confusing to me. It looks like your screw threads are somewhat stripped out in the yoyo. There is a bit of a dent in your bearing post but it doesn’t look like it would affect the bearing from seating. Did the original axle get bent? Why did you replace it with a longer one? Using an axle longer than the yoyo needs will cause damage to the yoyo because it will prevent the bearing from seating properly. You can look up the axle size in the yoyo specs and order a new from YYE or even ask someone at the hardware store for help. You’ll need to know the thread size (likely m4) and the length (likely 8-12mm).

All of this is to say that your yo-yo will either spin well or it will wobble like crazy. If everything is coming together okay, it should spin cleanly. I wouldn’t worry about spintime vs before. This is mostly in your head and won’t really effect most yo-yo play. All modern unresponsive yo-yos have plenty of spin.

The axle for the Scintillator is: M4 x 8mm
Edit: also these types of screws are called “set screws”
So you’ll be looking for a M4x8mm Stainless Steel Set Screw.

Honestly @jhb8426, he’s just a kid, this isn’t really helpful advice for him. There are much simpler solutions over cutting an axle here…

2 Likes