Should bearings *snap* back into the yoyo?

I have done some maintenance on 4 older yoyos (all size C bearings) and after the cleaning process and struggling to get them out, most of the bearings don’t actually click into place and will actually just fall off the axle if I open the yoyo up again.

If it originally was snapped in should I work to get it back that way or can I just screw the yoyo back together with the bearing loose (but still centered, obviously).

2 Likes

You can just screw the yoyo back together as long as the bearing is flush on the post.

3 Likes

This is kind of what I figured, because none of the yoyos felt like they weren’t performing correctly. But it’s reassuring to hear it from someone else.

Thanks

3 Likes

The shoulders of bearing seats wear as the bearing is removed and re-installed. Not a big deal as the post is what really matters in keeping the bearing centered.

4 Likes

As it turns out, bearing seat being overly loose can be the source of later vibe, per some comments I saw from Tyler Severance on the matter.

It does vary from yoyo to yoyo but a tighter bearing seat is generally better.

1 Like

My KoOlau Edge I got in a mystery box the bearing doesn’t click in at all from the very first time I opened it. Been wondering if that’s an issue but hadn’t yet found a solid answer.

One time, I was using the wrong screw length on my anglam cc and I screwed it extra hard. The screw went through the side of the yoyo and destroyed it. RIP me.

1 Like

You guys need to understand a thing or two about bearings and their degree of ‘fit’ to the post itself.

There are so many ideas about this. And sadly; most of them are incorrect.

A bearing does not have to be jam tight on the post. I’ve had yoyos sooooooooo tight; just to prove a point; I would remove the axle and press the yoyo together against the bearing sides. And throw the yoyo for half an hour without the yoyo flying apart.

Occasionally; I have run into yoyos that were so tight that the bearing wouldn’t even press down against the bearing seat. Not only is that not a useful thing but once people pull out a pair of pliers; things only get worse.

Obviously; nobody preaches about bearings should be looser if anything. That is incorrect. If the posts are too loose; the bearing could migrate slightly off center. And become the source of some level of vibe.

The ideal would be that the bearing sit on the post with ‘No’ side play. It can be snug… But not get the pliers snug.

Bearings don’t have to be jamb tight; to make a smooth yoyo. I will give you a prime example>

One a Drop. The Company makes a multitude of yoyos. Their bearing to post fit is second to none. And even though the bearings are not jamb tight; they have zero side play. Take em off with your fingers… Put them on easily. One Drop yoyos fit and finish is very consistent: not too tight/not too loose. And a vibey One Drop is a rare thing.

The machinework on the majority of todays’ Yoyos is very good. One of the potential problems is the thickness of various coatings the yoyo receives after the machine work is complete.

The fit tolerance between bearing ID and bearing seat post may be so close that a continuous coating on the post can affect the tolerance enough to make the fit too tight.

Most of the yoyo designers make excellent dimension calculations that should result in a good fit without being too tight fit. But a coating thickness variation can easily have a negative effect on that ideal fit up.

I think that since One Drop does their yoyos ‘in house’ they consequently have better control regarding consistent parts fit.

Note: this isn’t a commercial for One Drop. I am just using them to foster a better understanding of how bearings don’t have to ‘Clic-fit…

I see some people will post up concerns like, ‘I take my yoyo apart and the bearing falls out on the floor. Should I send my yoyo back’?

No… you should unscrew your yoyo over a table or sit down and unscrew your yoyo over your lap. So you will be prepared if your bearing isn’t jammed into a yo-yo half so tight you couldn’t shoot it off with a 45 caliber handgun.

There is a defined difference between something being wrong and something you don’t understand seeming wrong.

Over time; experience identifies the difference and eliminates a multitude of question marks.

5 Likes

This answers so many questions - thank you!