Ano chipped in a new yoyo's bearing seat, do we care?

Was adding a drop of lube to a new TopYo x Yoyobarista Robusto that arrived yesterday and noticed that there was some ano gone from the middle where the bearing is (actually in the little raised area around where the axle screws in). It doesn’t matter to me really, but should I worry about stuff like that for if/when I sell it?

4 Likes

There are certainly folks out there who are bothered by such miniscule things, but I wouldn’t care one bit, and I’d still pay NMTBS prices for it if it were put up on a BST.

8 Likes

With how tight a lot of bearing posts are now, I feel like it’s almost expected. Ano wearing off the bearing post is normal, although damage to the bearing seat is a much more serious issue and would probably cause some serious vibe or issues screwing the yoyo back together.

If the yoyo plays exactly the same as it was before and it’s just a tiny amount of ano that came off the post, I don’t think it’s worth mentioning considering so many yoyos new out of the box will strip a bit of ano off the first time you unscrew it.

Just another reason why mint shouldn’t really be used to describe played yoyos.

5 Likes

I still consider that a mint yo-yo, other people wouldn’t. I don’t know who’s right. Modern bearing seats are tight as crap. You have to maintenance your stuff. It’s impossible to avoid if you actually use the things you buy

2 Likes

What you’re referring to, without a picture, was caused by the anodizing rack making contact with the bearing post.

Notice, the threads are not anodized on any yoyo, nor should they be.

In your case, the top of the post made contact with the rack, and became part of the anode.

Nothing to worry about there. Very common and not an “ano flaw” at all.

Boom!

5 Likes

iu9QDeV

I took this thread to refer to just anodization being stripped off the outside of the post from the act of putting on or removing the bearing. This is what the bearing post on my brand new Akita looked like after just removing the bearing. I had to freeze the yoyo to even get it off because the fit was so tight.

When it feels like some manufacturers have to use a machine press to even get the bearing on the yoyo in the first place, stripping some ano off the post like this is just the expected outcome in my eyes. It’s frustrating, but feels like it’s not exactly uncommon on modern yoyos from brands that don’t QC out yoyos for post fit being too tight.

4 Likes

Not in my opinion, if someone is worried about anno missing on a YoYo that you won’t see 99% of the time - they aren’t throwing the YoYo - it’s sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Just my opinion…

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s not the seat afaik (though I haven’t taken the bearing off), it’s just a spot on that top-most flat part in your Akita picture above. Kind of what Wayne was talking about I think. Cool. Glad to know it’s 1) not an ano flaw or chip and more importantly 2) NBD to a lot of you as well. Thanks.

7 Likes

I would just like to take this opportunity to hate on how tight bearing seats are made for alot of companies . One of my favorite things about one drop is the loose bearing seat

8 Likes

Chris, it’s funny because contrary to popular belief - the #1 cause of vibe out of the box is a badly toleranced bearing post. :man_shrugging:t2:

Tighter the post is to the inner diameter of the bearing (without impacting tbe inner race) = the smoother the yoyo…provided the other tolerances are tight.

I’d bet there are people out there who will fight that concept tooth and nail, but…science.

I hope my bearing posts aren’t too tight for you guys! Lol if they are, they come at the price of smoothness!

4 Likes

Yeah I think I did a bearing swap on the redacted and didn’t have too much trouble . I have had several issues with other companies. I literally ruined a brand new yo-yo swapping a dead bearing out . Literally the only time I unscrewed it. Super annoying.

4 Likes

Now that the question has been answered, may I know how the Robusta plays?

To me, it’s perfect, but not above what you’d expect from what you see in the pics. It’s got all the nice characteristics of a bi-metal and that shape. There aren’t a lot of product reviews on the store side of YYE, but that yoyo has two and they’re both pretty different, yet I can see the points made in both reviews. Each half is apparently three pieces pressed together so it’s like a steel sandwich. That design could be more sensitive to impact, though so far it’s held up fine. It’s not a great value imho because (at least as far as I can tell) that three piece design doesn’t add anything noticeable beyond normal bi metal boost. OTOH, it’s unique and does play very well.

3 Likes

THIS :point_up: :point_up: :point_up:

i can’t agree more. drives me nuts when someone calls something “mint” when it’s been out of the box and played with.

to me, that makes it excellent condition or…in the parlance of the times…near mint to be safe. (NMTBS) :slight_smile:

kgb

1 Like