Is it a possibility to make a od panorama responsive with a half spec bearing? (Yes, results are in)

Has anyone made a panorama responsive with a half spec bearing??? If so, how was the result.

Iā€™ll go give it a try right now. Iā€™m assuming weā€™ll need a shorter axle. Let me see what I have.

Edit. Oh. Da! Side Effects. I had OD Intro in my head. Youā€™ll need to modify the axle.

1 Like

@TheThrowingGnome has done it, but he needed to mod the side effect to have a shorter bearing post if I recall. :thinking:

2 Likes

Havenā€™t personally modded a SE, but have definitely seen it done.

Easiest and perhaps the best way to make a Panorama responsive is to use a full size centering bearing packed with Vaseline or grease.

8 Likes

Pano was like the second unresponsive Yoyo I got and I didnā€™t know how to lube bearings correctly yet and I flooded it w thin lube, recleaned it, flooded it, recleaned it, flooded it and then just played it responsive for like two weeks so I def think grease or Vaseline is all you need but your spin time will take a little hit.

3 Likes

Does the side effect need to be modded? I have a Janus with a half spec itā€™s the same side effects in the endā€¦ Iā€™ll have to check this now.

2 Likes

I think the Janus has a special bearing seat to accommodate reg SE. not entirely sure.

5 Likes

Side effect posts are too long, wont close all the way with a slim bearing.

1 Like

If you want the Panorama to fit a halfspec, the seā€™s would need to be trimmed and a smaller axle installed.

The Janus has taller bearing seat inside the halves to accommodate the half spec with standard seā€™s.

2 Likes

See the linked post. It has nothing to do with the side effects themselves, but the Bearing seat in the yoyo half.

I am assuming it can be done like the Deep State/Deeper State ā€œModā€. Requires Short Axel and Quantity 2 .010 Shims.

Unfortunately, YYE is out of both Half Spec Bearings and the Difeo Shims right now.

Have Fun.

3 Likes

Well either way you can make any yoyo fixed axle

1 Like

Thanks all for the help, really looking for a tight gap so I am willing to sacrifice a set seā€™s. I have plenty of axels and a half spec bearing so I will give it a shot. Spacers would be a good option but Iā€™m in Australia and not looking to place a large order for free shipping and there out of stock.

1 Like

Okay, the results are in. Successfully modified my panorama to take a half spec bearing.

Step 1 - Removed the axle from the se with some heat from a cigarette lighter, an alan key, a rag and some pliers. Used the rag to protect the se from the pliers while I unscrewed the axle.
Step 2 - taped completely through both the se halves with a thread tap. Did this instead of using a shorter axle, was able to reuse the existing one. A shorter axle would also work fine.
Step 3 - filed down one se bearing post to allow for the half spec bearing. You can file down either one or both posts itā€™s up to you.
Step 4 - installed the half spec bearing and made sure it could tighten completely.

Thatā€™s it. Mine works a treat and am very happy with the outcome. I would suggest to use clear seā€™s as they discolour with the heat. I actually used two sets of seā€™s as they match my half swap yo-yo and I discarded the heat affected one that I removed the axle from.

Thinking about it if you had a shorter axle and two sets of seā€™s you could just use the two halves of the seā€™s without the axle right from the start.

Thanks again for the previous comments and suggestions.

6 Likes