I think I'll make a bearing wooden responsive

Might make a half C bearing wooden yoyo today just out of curiosity. Haven’t really ever thrown a modern slimline responsive, so I have nothing to compare it to bit I’ll give it a shot.

9 Likes

That would be really cool!

Woah, crazy. Mike Monty commented on my picture a couple days ago.

Screenshot%20(17)_LI

It’s sort of relevant anyway…

7 Likes

Thin gaps aren’t a problem for me. I’m not making it for 1A play, just for modern responsive tricks.

1 Like

Maybe it’s less common now, but not too long ago there would be several people who would be glad to make that happen, or would just do it to do for themselves.

1 Like

If you have them and get a chance try out an A bearing. After getting the Alleycats, there is just something missing with most C bearing (or half spec) reaponsives.

Some suggestions for a C…use a full C and I set it into the body a little instead of a half spec, half spec makes for a pretty tight gap. If using response pads/groove, make it wide not a slim response. Slim slips too much on responsive.

6 Likes

Problem is finding the bearing seats. Not sure how well it would work to sink the Cabal guts into the yo-yo.

I agree though, I 'd prefer either a reduced gap C, or A bearing setup. Some people would really enjoy the slim, however.

Glen’s going to be trying something for me soon. We’ll keep you posted. :wink:

2 Likes

So I discovered that you can just put a 1/2 spec into the Cabal guts. I didn’t even have to change the axle!

My Spinworthy unresponsives are at work, so I tried it on my Woodboy. It plays great! Super fun, and for whatever reason, I didn’t seem to have that same problem with string layers. I was able to do tricks like Zipper, and Mach 5 with no problem.

I’ll let you know soon what I think about the 1/2 spec with the SWs I have. I’m thinking it might be really nice in the lightweight Cypress Pine I have.

3 Likes

I could do it, but there’s no way I’d butcher an eh to make it into a bearing yoyo.

1 Like

Well there’s no need anyway, as you can just make a whole yo-yo!

1 Like

It’s very hard to find A guts, and I know of none which include a response groove, so I would have to turn one next to the bearing; not convinced that would work well.

Setting a standard C into the body slightly is an interesting idea, but I think that would be problematic in terms of string wrapping and response.

I’m just going to use Cabal guts and set the bearing posts in a little shallower than I would normally to allow the half spec C.

It interests me that you guys are saying the half specs are too thin. They should be about 2.5mm wide, right? That sounds like plenty of width for responsive tricks to me. I’m not sure I want any more than that. You guys are the ones with modern responsive experience, so I’ll take your word for it.

4 Likes

Could you use Duncan spacers? There is a Duncan Bearing And Parts Kit out there. Maybe have them sit in a recessed axle hole similar to plastic designs. Just a thought, I just buy Yo-Yos.

No need to butcher anything if you buy a wood threading kit and find a way to make bearing axles. Just use the body halves of the eh (or other TMBR).

No idea the startup cost or the precision difficulty in making it, just a thought.

Not sure that would work all that well.

I think that will work fine! Judging by the way it worked with my Woodbay, you could set it so that it works with both full and half spec.

So I put the 1/2 spec into my Cypress Pine Spinworthy, and it’s AWESOME!

It’s like this is how it was meant to be.

Again, I didn’t to do anything except change out the bearing. And again, it handles a few layers pretty darn well. I guess since the Cabal guts have a big gap, it makes the most of the 1/2 spec.

I have to be a bit more mindful with the Spinworthy than I was with the Woodboy. I think the higher weight of the Woodboy helps it power through, but it’s more fun for the fixie tricks, and still handles responsive 1A well.

What a beauty!

5 Likes

The Ballsy yoyo I’ve made handles some harder 1A tricks surprisingly well for a fixed axle. I did Superman on it without too much trouble.

Still, no match for a bearing.

2 Likes

Awesome yotography there as well!

1 Like

Yeah the FH parts work, Eric Wolfe did some FHZ clones out of wood, kick myself for not jumping on the last couple I’ve seen for sale.

3 Likes

A wooden A bearing FHZ replica would be a alot of fun. I’m a huge fan of that classic Butterfly shape. Pending on weight and response set up, it could be a switch hitter.

1 Like