Is it a bad habit to use 2 fingers for trapeze

More often than not I use my middle and index to wrap the string around for trapeze. I don’t know if this is a bad habit. Should I start using only my index?

Absolutely, as tricks get more advanced, you’ll have to use multiple fingers to manipulate the string. I used to do the same thing but I grew out if it. Good luck!

YES! I do the same thing sonetimes, and it’s reaaaaally bad for 5a…

Thanks for the input, I’ll start using index only. I find it’s a bit harder to get it straight but overall it will strengthen my technique.

Also, if you are competing, the standard says to use the index finger. In a free style they may overlook it, but if you are doing the sport ladder you need to use the index only. But I know you’re all well beyond the sport ladder, right…

Trust me, the more you do it, the easier it’ll get.

Overall my side style is pretty weak right now. My sleeper can go for well over a minute but my breakaway is half as strong probably. I probably throw to the side half as much though so it makes perfect sense.

Also I’d like some feedback on this: Are the majority of very difficult tricks side style? I’ve noticed around 80% of the super hard tricks are side style (a very rough estimation).

That would be correct.

Part of me says, yes learn with only your index. The other part of me says that with more advanced tricks you will actually want multiple fingers in a trapeze to give more control because it allows you to manipulate the top and bottom string independently, especially if you want to do chopsticks stuff.

So… learn trapeze with one finger, then later unlearn and stick all your fingers in there…

If it helps while learning it initially, it’s not really a problem. As your technique in general improves, it’s pretty easy to unlearn things like that. That, and as soon as you start doing trapeze and bro, it gets in the way if you can’t flip it around the middle finger. For a while I used my throw hand thumb to make more space for landing double or nothing, but was aware that it was a crutch and made a point of getting more precise with my string hits and moved past it. There’s nothing wrong with learning things like that, but it’s good to be aware when you’re using a crutch so that it doesn’t become a legit bad habit.

That is not true… you never want to cheat with tricks… maybe at the beginning but you wouldn’t want to ever unlearn it… can you give an example where multiple fingers in a trapeze helps?

absolutely!

I did give an example… chopsticks tricks. :slight_smile:

well it doesn’t actually start with a trapeze but modified one… that’s kind of an exception

I start my chopstick tricks directly from a trapeze so idk… also multiple fingers in the loop help with control.

This probably won’t be a popular answer but I say do whatever feels good :smiley:
Who cares how a trick should be done just do what you like.

I don’t think it’s a bad habit in the sense that it would cause you problems down the road. Like with a musical instrument, if you develop bad habits early on, they can be really hard to break, because everything you learn afterwards is built on that foundation. I don’t really think there are any pitfalls like that with yoyoing. Don’t get me wrong, you can develop poor form in any number of ways, but they won’t have that nasty snowballing effect, if that’s what you’re worried about.

I agree with the above. One of the “skills” in yoyoing is the ability to move your fingers in and out of strings and loops. It’s not even going to be an effort to make the switch if and when you do it.

Take the basic “Zipper” string trick as an example: when I first learned it, I found it easier to do it the “thumb” way like Andre shows. Later on, I thought to myself one day, “I’mma do this with fingers and no thumb,” and I could just do it… without any additional practice or effort. In the intervening time since I first learned that trick (and was more comfortable using the thumb) I just got generally better at controlling how my fingers and the string interact.

I wouldn’t get hung up on it. Charles Haycock does all kinds of unorthodox stuff … and I really wouldn’t mind having his skills and flow. :wink:

I only really use two fingers for trapeze. I’ve gotten into the habit of it, and barely ever use just my index finger alone.

And I completely support doing it.

There’s nothing wrong with it. In fact, I almost think it’s better. Provides ten times more control, and when I get into super techy stuff (which I find myself in quite often when developing tricks) I find that the majority of the time, both index and middle finger work ten times better then index alone. Many yoyoers other than myself do it too, such as Paul Dang, Mark Montgomery, and Andrew Robinson. Of course, like I believe one or two others said in this thread already, part of yoyoing is being able to move fingers to different places, taking them in and out of different segments. That’s something that comes with time, and when you need to, you’ll just naturally take out the finger you don’t need. For now though, and the future too, I see nothing wrong with the use of two fingers.

I believe that while doing it with two fingers is fine, you should also be able to do it with 100% confidence with only 1.

It’ll be easier to branch out later on.

^ That made a lot of sense.

I think the answer is, that if it is comfortable and suits it’s purpose, do it. As you gain experience, you will make any necessary adjustments, along the way. Another advantage, is that if you ever decide to switch to one finger, and you learn that too, you will be proficient at more than one way to do it. If it’s comfortable, and it is suiting your purpose, it’s not a bad habit at all. It’s only a habit when you cannot stop doing something, especially when you really want to stop, but lack that control. It seems that even if you wanted to stop using two fingers, but cannot break the habit, if it actually accomplishes the trapeze right now, it’s a good habit, not a bad one.