Is anyone else getting frequent bind knots/snags with a Dark Magic?

Yes, I know I’m new, and yes I did use the search feature and couldn’t find anything except for someone saying 40% of binds on a DM end up with snags/knots…which is true in my case. But why?

Anyway, I started yoyoing about 2 months ago with a DM. I’ve been practicing my binds like a madman, shooting it straight into the gap, using shorter bind loops, experimenting in all sorts of ways. I bind on my friend’s Protostar just fine, then when I try mine, I’m always getting knots and it’s really frustrating. Especially trying to throw a hard sleeper after a bind and having it shoot straight back up hitting my hand or face. Maybe a better bearing could help? Shims? A NEW YOYO?! It’s really annoying.

hello,

Had the same problem for a whole month, and then started to notice 2 things:

1. The string was in a really strange “stiff” thing, so when I binded something weird happened at the time
  2. My binds were clumsy

Now, I don’t have problems on my binds so, what i can say is … practice, practice and practice and maybe, try for an afternoon with a different string just to see what happens, maybe you’re string is bad or so!

Also, you can try to post a video so we can try to see what are you doing wrong :slight_smile:

i am also new to this wonderfully frustrating world of the yo-yo.my first yo-yo was a dark magic about mid december. i had the same problem and spent most my bind practice taking the magic apart and putting it back together. i now make sure to bind against the rotation of the yo-yo and keep the bind as quick, clean, and crisp as possible and have had no more issues. also when my string is visibly fuzzy at the yo-yo it seems to make all tricks harder. practice and good luck grandparock

I’ll see if i can post a video. I notice that when I put a new string in, the binds are smooth the first 5 times then after that same stuff happens again haha.

Are you keeping your string tension nice? If not you should check for a solution for that.

There are plenty of solutions for that in the forum, the one that I currently use is the Washing-machine.

Some times this happens to me when the gap is fully tightened. Loosen the gap if you havent already.

Try to replace your string when it’s really fuzzy and make it more unresponsive using a thin lube and make the gap more loose. :slight_smile:

depending on the string you use its most likely your string tension. you can fix that by taking the string off your finger and just letting it hang for a sec so the string spins back to in set tension or throw a UFO
(look it up in the learn section basics) that will fix string tension. hope this help (^ _ ^)

I’ve noticed that with my DM too. My binds are abolustely fine with my Dif-E-yos, YoyoFactory, and CLYW yoyos. It’s the the YYJ one. I wasn’t sure what to do about it either. I even took the O-ring out. I’m still not sure what to do about it…

It may be the Starburst response that’s on one side of the DM, Although I’ve never had the problem on just YYJ;'s. I know I do have this problem every once in a while with any yoyo. This is caused by a careless and sloppy bind. The more you do it the better you will get. and the String tension will help.

Man, I never thought I would say this, but I guess I’ve been binding wrong the whole time! Haha. I got my own Protostar in the mail today and it came with a trick book, I followed the directions it had for the bind return and it was different from the way I was doing it. It said to go straight down and this whole time I’ve been whipping it around in circular motion haha. Now I’m getting zero knots! ;D ;D ;D Thanks for the tips anyway guys.

I have a Speeder, it has hybrid response I get the same binding problem. What happens if I sand down the starburst, will I be able to bind. I have the oring side siliconed.

You will have very slippy binds. I suggest, if you want to sand them down, getting that side recessed.