is a Dark magic good yoyo for intermediate player?

Good job SR. ;]

And metal ceiling support beams. Still plays great for me with scraps and dents!

Strong enough to dent elbows though on unexpected binds. :o

You’re right, Forechecker.

Ouch. VERY painful. Funny bones aren’t funny.

I shaved the o-ring in half with an olfa knife and now its very unresponsive how I like it.

When it binds it is very unexpected and I took one right in the end on the bone on the side of my elbow. My wife was trying to ask me “are you ok?” but couldnt stop laughing that a yoyo brought me to my knees. 2 inch round bruise proved how hard it hit me, lol.

Anyways, as a noob I am getting used to marginal hits and “near misses”…I am sure I will get another KO punch like that though, or 50.

You got a bruise? Dang!
I only get stunned for a while. :wink:

As the Dark Magic was my first yoyo (I did have a Duncan butterfly for a while.  Which got me through the beginner tricks) I think I’ll offer my opinion…

When I first got it, it seemed unresponsive to me.  Which was a disappointment, because one of the reasons I bought this yoyo was I heard you could make it as unresponsive/responsive as you like.  That disappointment quickly faded as it was very easy for me to learn how to bind (I could bind easily an hour after getting it) and it really was a great yoyo.  Since I got it almost 2 months ago, it has taken me from Around The World to Cold Fusion.

There are many pros with this yoyo for a first timer, long sleep time, (I can get it to sleep for 2 min minimum)It’s ability to do complex tricks, cool look, just a very well rounded (pardon the pun  ;)) yoyo.

There are however, some cons.  Mostly with the bearing:

My biggest issue you can read about here:

I’ve come to the conclusion that the noise is something that just comes and goes.  It has not effected spin time.

Also, the yoyo does sometimes go responsive.  That can be a problem when trying to do plastic whip. Ouch :frowning:

Another problem with the DM is that, like all yoyojam yoyos (Or as an experienced yoyoer told me), the bearing comes out WAY too easily.  All I have to do is hold the half of the yoyo with the bearing in it upside down, and the bearing falls out.

The only other con (as people have stated) is that it’s big. I have very small hands and the yoyo does not fit very well in my hand.  As a result, I have had many bad throws where the yoyo tilts to one side.

I would still recommend this yoyo to someone who is confident they wish to get into yo-yoing, and all its complex tricks.  It’s a great yoyo to learn tricks on.

Although I may not be the best one to give advice, as this is the only yoyo I’ve got…Except my Duncan butterfly. XD

Actually, I always have troubles getting my YYJ bearings out but whatever.

I’ve never had any big problems with the Dark Magic. You do have the narrow gap and the YoYoJam vibe though.

AndI can’t see why people are having troubles with bearing removal. I find it quite easy.