Is magic yo-yo underrated?

Personally in my opinion magic yo-yo is still quite underrated. I think in many peoples eyes magic yo-yo is a cheap Chinese yo-yo company. However I don’t think this is the case especially with some of there recent releases such as the y03 hertz and the z01 focus. So what do you guys think are they underrated?

5 Likes

I agree with you I think people underestimate the performance of magic yo-yo even though some of them are questionable :face_with_raised_eyebrow: other ones including some collabs like the skyva - variant - and others like the crystal - aurora and some other ones to I’m probably missing but overall magic yo-yo still seems to surprise me sometimes :wink::+1:t2:

6 Likes

Super underrated! I remember getting the n12 back in the day and liking it just as much as my clyw cheif lol

9 Likes

I have had ups and downs with myy, some I have are fantastic others less than stellar. Unfortunately for me a lot of my duds are popular models where I just seem to have gotten bad ones. So to answer the question, I think myy has the potential to be underrated, but the quality control I have experienced is a variable that keeps me away from buying any untested myys.

7 Likes

Are Magic Yoyo not a cheap Chinese yoyo company?

I like their Carpfin. They’re not underrated, they’re recognised for what they are. And there’s no shame in it.

13 Likes

I like the Katana, and the Skyva feels a bit more classy but I think that’s down to the help from Jeffery Pang.

I own a few of their cheap yoyos and they’re great for what they are. The T9 is a brilliant undersized organic. My daughter loves taking it for walks!

5 Likes

I guess that’s my point I honestly don’t think they are. They have a lot of great cheap metals that can compete with most yo-yo factory yo-yos. Now of course not all of there yo-yos can, but a good amount can.

3 Likes

Their original designs and partnered designs are actually pretty darn good. I remember a few years ago when they first hit the market they were making stuff that were ripoffs of other designs but they evolved and have turned into a pretty cool company. There’s obviously ones to avoid, but their higher tier stuff plays pretty good. I just worry about the manufacturing practices and hope they keep things kosher. It’s pretty crazy how cheap some of the yoyos are.

4 Likes

I am just now learning the unresponsive yoyo techniques. I have several nice yoyos that I have purchased here and at Yoyo Tricks. My nicest up to this point is the Duncan Haymaker X that I recently received.

For learning purposes, I purchased a Magic Yo Yo V3 aluminum. It came with two bearing, a thin one for responsive play and a wide one for unresponsive. I set it up for unresponsive. It is a nice size and weight, and feels nice in my hands. It vibrates slightly sometimes but that could be due to my throwing technique.

Bottom line, for $16 from the online big box store it is a good deal and good quality. I have now learned the basic binding technique and can now move on to more advanced binding and non-responsive tricks.

Mine is a good sample and compares favorably with my more expensive throws.

Jeff

5 Likes

MYY and all the other competent makers can be underrated, but MYY has let some lemons through so maybe that’s why they’re mentioned here. Most people on the forums seem to be aware of MYY and know that there are a few models that are amazing/perfect. I compare some of my best throws to the the YO3 Hertz to see how much I like them. I consider it the best value in my collection. Other yoyos that I think are worth more than they’re sold for: Top Yo Patronum and the R2FG Recluse, both of which I prefer to the YO3 Hertz (though they’re priced closer to a Shutter than a low priced MYY throw).

5 Likes

MYY is the most underrated company in my opinion.
I got the Z01 & Y03 when I just started yo-yoing. My first impression was “yes they are decent, but the expensive ones might be even better”. Now I gotta say I was wrong. The Z01 & Y03 are just so good and I’m confident to compare them with throws that are twice as expensive. No they are not premium yoyos, but they performs so well and the value for price is crazy.

5 Likes

Im what way is MYY underrated? Give an example. It will help.

2 Likes

Yeah I also don’t see how Magicyoyo is underrated. If anything I regularly see a bunch of people who have more stuff from Magicyoyo than any other company, probably in large part due to their low prices and being readily available. But even for people who have large collections or other more expensive yoyos, the general consensus is always “Yeah, Magicyoyo stuff is pretty good, and the prices are really good

That being said the reason I’ve never played anything from Magicyoyo is just that none of their yoyos are particularly appealing to me. The Skyva seems cool, but I just don’t have any interest in buying one. I already have yoyos that I feel like I’d enjoy more than anything magicyoyo is offering, and the low price point of magicyoyos isn’t really a purchasing consideration for me. When I already have expensive yoyos I love, I really don’t care about the value factor of a yoyo.

7 Likes

Some of the other replies explain.

I feel like they’re underrated, but only slightly. They make some really good product, but they’ve also made some pretty mediocre ones. Their good ones are usually surprisingly good, though, on par, if not better than some other companies as far as smoothness. The thing is, for around $20, you can get a yoyo that feels as good as most $50 yo-yos, but quality control is iffy, from what I hear. Never had any issues though, personally.

The reason I say they’re only slightly underrated is because I think most yoyoers already know that MYY is good value, many just don’t realize how good they can be. Hope y’all are having a great day!

4 Likes

100% agree!

3 Likes

Initially MYY was known for bootleging versions of brand name yoyos. That soured my opinion of them and I’ve never bought one. Have no need/desire to own one. I guess my biases run deep.

3 Likes

That’s fair. I didn’t realize they used to straight up rip off other makers’ designs. For the most part, I only buy Magic Yo-yos if I have a few dollars left on my prepaid credit card, but not enough for a pricier yoyo. I’ll have to be careful not to buy any of their designs that are knockoffs. I appreciate the warning.

2 Likes

Magicyoyo are a really strange company. They are incredibly inconsistent in every conceivable way.

4 Likes

I don’t understand how Magicyoyo is in any way underrated. Underrated is defined as something that is not rated or valued highly enough. Magicyoyo gets rave reviews for a lot of their throws, such as the N12, Stealth, Vulfgang, Y03 Hertz, Y01 Node, Avocado, Purple Line and last but not least, the Z01 Focus, among a lot of others. Every time someone asks for budget metal recommendations, Magicyoyo will be the first company to pop up. The N12 has been recommended as the go-to first metal for ages since its release. I believe it is still being recommended to this day even when there are other budget metal options. Magicyoyo is a company that lots of throwers value highly for their incredibly low cost throws, which is far from underrated.

I think you just haven’t been in the community long enough to see how highly rated Magicyoyo has been for their budget yoyos. Recently, there might not be much talk about Magicyoyos, but that’s because they haven’t put out any new yoyos or colours (obviously, because their batch numbers are humongous to keep the prices of their yoyos so low) while tons of other companies, especially boutique ones, are releasing new yoyos and new colours, which gets all the attention for obvious reasons.

8 Likes