Intermediate Buttefly Yoyo for String Tricks

Hey guys, I am looking for a new Yoyo, I already have the Sunset Trajectory (the first yoyo I bought, I just bought it so I have an ok yoyo for all the basic tricks) and the F.A.S.T. 201 which I mainly hear bad things about.

To give you an impression of my skill, on my F.A.S.T. 201 the “most difficult” tricks I could do were Brain Twisters, with luck double or nothings, split the atom, and mach 5 which usually didn’t last more than a few seconds. I want a new yoyo because the F.A.S.T. 201 is generally considered a bad yoyo, and I think those black starburst thingies rub on my strings slowing it down. Also I don’t like the tight gap of it. Stupidly I bought it without reading more than 1 review on it. Also it is damn loud.

To clarify my budget is about 50€ which is about 60$. But I don’t really want to spend that much. The price I’d want to pay is about 25€ (30$) or less. It should be butterfly shaped (for all those fancy string tricks), not totally unresponsive, have a wide gap, not fixed axle, and not fully aluminium (although I think that exceeds my budget anyways)

Add a few bucks and you can get a dv888.

Or get a protostar.

Or a speeder.
http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/20/YYJ-Speeder

Dark Magic

He can’t even bind yet.
I’d reccomend something like a Kickside, Speedmaker, or Lyn Fury. They’re all made by YYJ. Another one that would be really good is a YYF Velocity. You can play it responsive and unresponsive.

I couldn’t bind till I got my DM. He can learn.

I think it’s important to learn how to bind early on an unresponsive yo-yo because it’ll benefit you later in your yo-yoing career. Binding nowadays is a pretty essential skill to learn.

Therefore, I would suggest the ProtoStar, PGM, Atmosphere, or DM.

He can learn to bind on a velocity or a YYJ metal rimmed plastic. I don’t think he should get something like a Dv888 or Protostar b/c those are completely unresponsive.

p.s. I learned binding on my DM too.

Might as well go with the big guns instead of spending more money on little ones.

I don’t think I’m going to buy one of those that IleraH posted. Not because I don’t want to learn how to bind, but because I don’t want to spend too much. I like the Kickside and the Lyn Fury though but I can’t decide. They seem to be very similar (not only in their price), which would you recommend and why?

It’s up to you and what you think you’ll like better.

The Kickside is a little bit bigger and heavier with hybrid response. A lot of people dislike hybrid response because it tends to be noisy and snaggy.

The Lyn Fury has a double O ring response.

Both yoyos can be made unresponsive with a little modding.

Get a legacy. Mine just came in the mail today and oh my goodness, it plays so well. The silicone response is great compared the the hybrid response of the DM. And for only $20+, you can’t go wrong with the price.

So the kickside has such a starburst thingy like the F.A.S.T. 201? I din not like that, But what about the Lyn Fury? How is it in comparison to the Legacy? The Legacy seems to be like the poor-man’s-dark magic, but the Lyn Fury seems to be the poor-man’s-Hitman.

Also, the Legacy is unresponsive so I need to learn how to bind right? But what does that mean anyways, I mean if a yoyo is so unresponsive I can’t make it return back to my hand, how do I do stuff like Sidewinder? Also I think isn’t it a little stupid to play with a yoyo that you can’t just bring back to you normally? And when you are done with a trick, you always have to do a trapeze to bind it? But how do you do a trapeze when the yoyo is not in your hand.

Sorry if I’m asking stupid questions but I’d like to have a good yoyo like the Legacy but all this unresponsive and binding stuff is so confusing

My suggestion is a legacy. It is great for learning unresponsive play and is also capable of more difficult tricks.

also, your questions about unresponsive play are very valid. As you get more advanced you will find more stylish ways to bind that do not require a trapeeze, and also tricks that flow into binds.

Check out the trick tip video about binds on the learn section. Trust us, it’s worth it. And the legacy is your gateway to unresponsive play!

I guess I’ll buy the Legacy then, I have to learn how to bind at some point anyway.

Also, is the Legacy viable for Counterweight playing? (In case I want to try that somewhen in the far, far, future :D)

Any decent 1A yo-yo is good for 5A.
Just try not to use those expensive metals when you first start 5A. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, I do 5A on my PGMv2. The Legacy is good at 5A, yes. :wink:

wait, you can learn to play unresponsive on a lyn furry. if you silicone it, i think it is better than the legacy. but my overall best bet for you would be the velocity. it can be both responsive and unresponsive with the turn of the switch. it is a great yoyo.