Inexpensive DIY Wall Mounted Display

I picked one of these up today. 8 dollars and some change with the online discount and store pickup. Incredible buy.

For you guys that are painting these, are you using primer and some kind of sealant? It’s been a while since I spray painted anything, and I don’t want to risk paint rubbing off on yo-yos.

2 Likes

Very nice. This may sound odd but what is that claw hammer you have pictured? Im kinda into tools and building, and by kinda i mean my wife would say i have a problem.

3 Likes

Is that a titanium stiletto? If so, that thing cost a pretty penny! If I ever get back into framing, I’m definitely going to invest in a nice hammer, if you’re going to be pounding the tar out of nails and wood all day, it helps to have a tool that was thoughtfully designed to take most of the blow for you while simultaneously delivering a solid punch. I’m getting to the age where I’m starting to feel just how much of a strain that kind of work can be on the body. It never really bothered me when I was younger.

2 Likes

You’re missing a 30oz Estwing framing hammer. I use mine every day and I’ve never looked back.

1 Like

Big fan of Estwing. I keep one of their hatchets in my truck tool box, but dont have any of their hammers. Ive been really wanting a copper mallet for a while. Those are good looking hammers i actually have many uses for. I have also found myself really wanting a hand forged rounding hammer…out of damascus. The thing is i dont forge at all so that would end up being more decorational than anything. Doesnt make sense buying something i have no use for.

I’d love to get an eswing axe, I love the look of the handles but I find that the leather always wears out.

Well this has the stacked leather. Its been holding up well through a lot of use.

Been a while but I thought I’d post this now that I finally found time to paint the rest of it. Some touch ups on the edges are still needed, but all in all I’m pretty pleased with it!
Now…to fill it, lol.

7 Likes

That turned out great!
I’d love to get something like this here shortly to display m y lovely throws!
I love the black/white contrast of this!!

1 Like

Thanks! My wife was the one that came up with the contrast idea since I couldn’t decide on solid white or black. Sprayed the outside first, then after that dried, I taped newspaper to cover the edges, laid it face up and painted the inside. Getting all the corners took several passes, but not as many as I thought.

1 Like

This is a little bit more involved, but could be useful for those looking for a more permanent / wall art style case. I built these years ago and they are holding up nicely to today. I like them because there’s glass to discourage kids (or adults :P) from trying to walk the dog with your favorite yoyo and to keep everything dust free. Some instructions (including foam source) are linked below.

DSC00308-X4

DSC01327-X4

https://forums.yoyoexpert.com/t/morning-project-hanging-yo-yo-display-cases/69070

12 Likes

/drools

So Micheals is having a 40% off sale that ends today…and I’ve really been itching to get some sort of wall display going, so I pulled the trigger on some of these. They also do free shipping @$49.
I ended up picking 6 of these things up…even though I only have 30 yos atm haha. I’ve got a friend who’s into all sorts of crafts though who I’ll give 2 or 3 to.
To reach the $49 needed for free shipping, I also picked up a cool little wall mountable bin I’m going to store some strings in.
https://www.michaels.com/interlocking-single-tilt-bin-by-recollections/10542363.html

This hobby is absolutely killing me financially! >.<’
No regrets so far though!

2 Likes

Thanks so much for this post!!! I think I may buy these and put foam squares in them…not sure been wanting to get my throws out of the draw storage solution I have!!!

2 Likes

I just drilled holes in the back of mine and screwed them in with drywall anchors.

7 Likes

Awesome but sadly they sold out from Micheal’s! Lol

2 Likes

If you sign up for their mailing list the do free shipping like every week it seems. Might be worth it to snag a couple.

Sorry! :frowning: I snagged up the last 6 they had in stock online last week lol.
These will work great for several of my hobbies and collectibles.
They were only about $8 shipped with discounts!

–edit–
Sweet! They seem to be in stock again online!
They’re not running the 40% off discount I got in on though right now :frowning:

Wow, that looks really great! I think I might try that with an old Coke crate I’ve had hanging in my garage for a few years.

I’m going to take them down at some point and spray paint them white so things pop a bit more…will likely re-do the bottom crate so it’s better centered between the 2 top ones as well…and things might be slightly crooked as I’m too lazy to do measurements haha.

I’m pretty happy with it! :slight_smile: I’ll fill some of the empty spaces of the 2 top ones with various figures and other collectable things I have laying around.

8 Likes