Improve response for binding?

It wouldn’t have helped in the long run for me since I would never have reached the long run. I would have given up in frustration long before then. That’s something that I think veterans forget: how easy it is for frustration and discouragement to set in long before mastery, and that leads to quitting rather than progress.

1 Like

Absolutely…I’d LOVE to have other more experienced/skilled yoers to hang out with.

…I’m okay with the basic binds. It’s not like I’m struggling a ton with it on my K’edge…it’s just I wish it were a bit more snappy like with some of my other throws.

I would say yes, you probably just need some more practice. The better you get the easier it will be to adjust your binds by throw.
My question is what strings do you use? When I made the switch to unresponsive I had some trouble with binds. I was using the dirt cheap bulk string I had bought. It was thin and loose. Just not great string. I bought some kitty, it was a night and day difference. Binds came easily after that.

1 Like

I feel you on this. I’m sloppy with my binds, too, but I can feel when it’s me and when it’s the throw/response. Think it’s totally reasonable to modify it not as a crutch but so it feels the way you want it to.

1 Like

Zipline Darkrooms.

I had a few Kitty fats but have used them up. I REALLY liked those and think I’ll pick a pack of 100 of them up here soon.
Also going to give string making an attempt…jsut for fun.

1 Like

I think it’s either the yellow or natural ones i like best. They keep a good consistency in your bind over the life of the pads

1 Like

Naturals are real good. It’s a very consistent pad, without being too hard on texture. Blue and teal ones are my favs tho.

2 Likes

Zipline are definitely better than Kitty imo. They make some great strings. My favorite tied with Yoyostringlabs. Ide say it’s probably not a string issue you are having.

2 Likes

Well yeah but replacing string is like… super trivial… takes all of … what 5 seconds? And you can keep the old string around, plus it’s legitimately useful to have different string “fatnesses” on deck, plus string is your number one consumable you want to have on hand for yo-yos.

(Also experimenting with fancy aftermarket string is kinda worth it, you’re arguably touching the string way more than the yo-yo.)

I definitely agree that replacing the pads is way more invasive, for one thing unless you’re super careful it trashes the old pads, so they can’t be re-used, etc.

But string replacement is suuuuper easy, and has a lot of follow on benefits.

2 Likes

I think you don’t understand my post. If I met someone at a yo-yo contest and they said what the OP said I wouldn’t say “change your string”. Because that’s likely not the problem.

1 Like

Well let’s try a different tack: @twitch77 how many other yo-yos do you regularly throw and do you feel any of them have “slippy binds”?

It is possible to get slippy binds on really worn down silicone pads but that takes a TON of playtime, like on the order of months. If the yo-yo is anywhere near new, problems with the pads would be highly unusual.

Ive been following this thread for a few days, tried out a couple strings, and am now prepared to ask a question. Does the 2018 Banshee typically have a slippy response? Out of all my yoyos, my Banshee needs the most slack and most subtle of pulling motions to bind. I have some Plutonium in it now (my thickest string, and a medium-thick string in general), and it still denies binds that would work on any other yoyo I have (I only consistently use two binds atm, and they are on autopilot/muscle memory by now so I will politely object to it being a technique problem). The yoyo is stock, I bought it from G2 Jake a few months ago (the spider web version), and I have not used it enough to wear the response pads down. It has always been this way. I have never even taken it apart once since the rest of the play is soo smooth and great. What would you more experienced guys do in this case?

edit: to be clear, I can bind this yoyo, but I have to adjust to its lack of sensitivity. Every time I use it.

2 Likes

Hmm. My Banshee18s are all quite snappy binders. Akin to my One Drops.

1 Like

The other thing to think about is gap width as measured in millimeters. There IS some variance in gap width on modern yo-yo designs!

YYF K’Edge gap width: 4.61mm
Duncan Mayhem gap width: 4.76mm
Raptor gap width: 4.00mm (!)
MKT gap width: 4.45mm

I picked yo-yos that I saw you owned from your post history @twitch77

1 Like

(1) Really?? :wink:

(2) yes!! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

haha nice call. Not really sure why I said I’m new…I think it was a bit of a way of me putting myself down or something. Like I’m calling myself a noob :p.
Not sure why I’m so hard on myself!

I’m sure you’ll get over it.
Take care. :+1:

1 Like

So I took your guy’s advice and got some silicone.

Holy ****! It’s like a brand new yo-yo! It’s snappy as heck now and I LOVE it! It feels so damn good now! It’s so enjoyable when it snaps back so sharply and so effortlessly!

It is freshly siliconed though…and it’s only been about 16 hours so I haven’t played with it much (having a hell of a hard time waiting the full 24 hours to let it fully set haha)…
But when the silicone starts to wear down and it’s no longer so snappy…no big deal! It took me less than 5 minutes to put the silicone in and I’ve got a big tube of the stuff!!

I couldn’t find any ‘flowable’ so I just got some clear silicone. Seems to work just fine though it’s not as fluid as some of the stuff I’ve seen others use in video tutorials. I think I’m going to run the tube under some hot water next time to see if I can warm the silicone up a little and make it more flowable.

I also ordered in 100 fat kitty strings that’ll be here sometime this week (along with a legendary terrarian! :smiley: ).

Thanks a lot guys!

2 Likes