Impressive Intermediate Tricks?

Nice!

I like Gondola after a Magic Drop and Shock-wave. Shock-wave sets you up for it perfectly.

After even more practice I’ve got the first 3 tricks down. I thought I’d share some things I noticed while learning them.

Gondola: Great trick. If you don’t do this trick yet it’s the easiest of the ones shown here so far. I love the look of throwing the slack around to your index finger. Make sure your string tension is good though. I like to end the trick by going directly into a brother slack.

Lotus Bloom: Great intermediate trick. The hardest part for me was trying to understand the dismount from the video. Watch closely to see the position of your throw hand and the yoyo to dismount it correctly. The first three moves aren’t too hard. Notice how he’s using two fingers on his non-throw hand when throwing the initial Double or nothing. That helps a lot.

Candy Slack: That was quite a bit harder than lotus bloom. On the first toss it’s easy to either drop the yoyo off of the string OR not reject the string at all and end up with a loop around the yoyo. The key seemed to be how he keeps his throw hand palm up and rotates it palm down while doing the first toss of the yoyo over the houdini mount.

The first slack move is fairly easy if you have good string tension. But I found that while you’re throwing this slack I needed to point my throw hand index away and down to slide the string to the base of my index finger. Moving the string to the base of the finger makes the looping move much easier. Notice that the yoyo does a figure 8. Try to make the 3 moves, clockwise around the NTH, counter clockwise around the TH, and clockwise around the NTH a single move.

The final slack was tough until I realized that I need to turn my NTH palm up, pinch all the strings, but don’t push the strings together, and then use a palm up to palm down motion to whip the yoyo and string around my hand. That helps to keep the slack open. And of course, once you do a quick untwist of the NTH index finger you’re back into the houdini mount which means this trick is a repeater.

Time to move on to the Montgomery Twist.

1 Like

Can you already hit a wrist mount?
If so then the trick is not hard, and if not, then it’s a good reason to learn it.
Good luck, it’s one of my favorites.

I can hit the wrist mount, and I can do almost all of Spirit Bomb except for that last hop. Luke gave me some good tips on landing it and that’s helping. It’s just going to take more practice.

So yeah, it will be good to have a 2nd trick which uses the wrist mount because it’s a cool looking mount.

I haven’t totally followed this thread, but I would like to mention that Rancid Milk and Vector are really awesome tricks.

I don’t know about Vector, but Rancid Milk hardly qualifies as an “impressive intermediate trick”. It’s firmly in the Advanced category, and it’s hard to say if spectators would find it as impressive as even a simple gondola. Gondola is magic to them. Rancid Milk is mostly cat’s cradle to them.

I LOVE that trick, but it’s a yoyoer’s yoyo trick for sure.

1 Like

I thought I was the only one.
This one gets mentioned all the time, but it’s definitive not easy, and it’s not as impressive to non throwers.

I would expect comments like “Yeah, but can you walk the dog?”

2 Likes

Wow, I thought this was a yoyo community. ???

Any trick done smoothly and well will look good!

If you wanna impress people just get smoother! Make it look effortless, some speed but not like you’re trying.

I see a lot of people just check tricks off the list without getting close to doing it smoothly. Its not just the tricks it’s how you do them!
thats my 2 cents, and I’ve been wooing moms in the grocery store for yearrrrs.

1 Like

The haddock.

I think that classic Yuuki concepts counts? Its not really that hard, and the slack elements make it look very cool.

Of course it is. :wink: All conversation. Imagine we’re at a soda shoppe in a group. Our buddy says, “Dudes, what’s an impressive intermediate trick?” After a few suggestions you go “Rancid Milk?” and we all look at you funny for a second, then ball up our napkins and start throwing them at you. “Get outta here! Intermediate?” we ask, in disbelief.

“What?” you say, hopefully smiling as you remove a balled-up napkin from your hair. “Seems intermediate to me!”

People can disagree with each other and still be friendly and part of a community together. I needn’t have said “yup, yup. That’s a good intermediate trick!” if I didn’t agree!

3 Likes

This is, by far, the funniest thing I’ve read on the entire forum. Balled up napkins. SPITBALL FIGHT!

1 Like

Kevinm suggested this one and I really like it.

2 Likes

I just re-read this thread looking for some new trick ideas and realized that Zorro and Greg had the same rancid milk discussion twice two months apart!

I didn’t realize rancid milk was that controversial, maybe I’ll learn it after all :smiley:

Haha, I was wondering why that felt like deja vu, but I assumed it was a whole other thread!!

Zorro does have the tendency to NOT take information to heart. Even after two conversations I’m sure he would still call Rancid Milk an intermediate trick without thinking twice. Now, he’s within his rights to categorize a trick however he wants, despite the majority disagreeing. The part that makes me chuckle from time to time is the “without thinking twice” part.

Haha yeah,
I thought it was funny that he’s so much better than me that to him, it probably is intermediate :smiley:

Try some CLYW cabin tutorials. After i did a few of the long string tricks on yotricks I got bored with that site and moved to cabin tutorials. The easiest ones are peacocking and pa pong.

Thanks!

As a lot of the others said, Vector and Rancid Milk are both impressive, but may be a little advanced to call them intermediate. I will say that Vector was a trick I learned early on to work on throwing slack around, and was really helpful.

Further advice: If you like Branding, look up Underwater Basket Weaving. There’s a few elements that are similar to Branding, but it’s a little more impressive with the slack at the beginning, especially when you get it down so that you can flow through it quickly.

Last note: Gondola is an awesome trick. I like using it in combos. One really cool way to use it is when you pop it out at the end, throw it like an Asian Pop, land it back into a Trapeze, and then move to a new trick. I’ve been throwing Gondola into an Asian Pop, then straight into Vector. It’s pretty epic. :wink: