I'm Broke

I don’t own any yoyos that cost more than $50. I would have more expensive yoyos if I had the means, but I just don’t have a lot of money right now. Anyone else on a low yoyo budget?

I typically don’t buy anymore. I sell and trade the things I already have. Plus, it depends on how big your budget is. If you’re in the right place at the right time, you can get some really nice things for cheap on the bst. I recently got a mint ni dietz for $55. Deals are out there.

You don’t need a lot of money to do trades, you just need to have yoyo’s that people want. Also, in order to get more expensive yoyo’s, you can trade maybe 2 $50 yoyo’s for one worth $100+. You can get a lot of bargains through the B/S/T, it just depends on what you’re looking for, and if you are only looking for mint, or don’t mind a few rim marks. I’ve seen One Drops, and CLYW’s (especially Fools Gold) go for pretty cheap on the B/S/T. You just gotta keep your eye out for good deals. So, if you have some yoyo’s you don’t play with too much anymore, or want to maybe upgrade, just throw them up on the B/S/T with some pics, and see what kind of offers you get. Good luck!

I’m pretty sure that being broke is a common denominator on how many (not all) yoyoers came to yoyoing in the first place. it’s a fairly cheap hobby.

also, if you still think about buying yoyos, you’re not THAT broke (^^)/ as long as we can eat and have a roof over our heads, internet and whatnot, we’re fine. just a rough moment and you’ll get back on track.

've never bought a yoyo for more than $60 so yea but like others have said you can find deals. Look on ebay, you can find good stuff there I got a Sup3rstar for $60 and a x888 for $50. But I just had a job where I earned $100 so I’m able to get a YYF Catalyst so that’ll be my first yoyo I’ve paid more than $60 for :slight_smile: so a lot of us out there aren’t just spending a ton of money. Mainly cause we can’t… :stuck_out_tongue:

Priorities are important to have and that is the reason for a budget. The wise have budgets to balance the needs and wants of life.

The quality and play of more inexpensive yoyos has greatly improved. There’s nothing wrong with playing inexpensive yoyos. There will always be some yo’s out of my price range, new and used. I could give up things I enjoy that are not yoyo related so I could purchase those but really, why? I love yoyoing and it adds to my life but other things make me happy as well.

If yoyo price was reflective of just how well they play some of those cheaper yo’s would be worth a lot more!

I guess my point is, today’s cheaper yoyo’s can be so awesome! Enjoy.

I only have less than $30 yoyos.

I got bigger problems than a low yoyo budget. I have a client who is refusing to pay me due to administrative incompetence. I’m trying to keep my electricity and cell phone on while they continue to not pay their bills on time. They are late with 1 payment, about to be late on another, and have another 2 other invoices past due as well. My garage door opener broke and I need to have that replaced, my in-laws lost my house key and I need to get the door re-keyed. I also have three trees that need to be taken out so they can’t damage my property or my neighbors.

Now, onto the issue of yoyos.

I think the ability to enjoy yoyo isn’t based on cost of the yoyo, I think it’s more key to the state of mind. I can throw a ONE or WHIP and have a great time. What’s nice is there are lots of “budget yoyos” that are simply amazing in a good way. Again, the ONE ad the WHIP, $10, loads of fun. YYJ with a real selection of amazing sub-$20 yoyos shows it doesn’t take a lot of money to get a great yoyo. The $16 PSG is turning heads like crazy and I can’t wait to order a tube of them. Granted, these are all plastics, but you know what, a plastic yoyo can be tons of fun.

Stepping up a bit, you can get into great 2A yoyos with the Raider, Loop900 and Unleashed, all at the under $25 range. Getting into 4A is affordable with many models under $30. Granted, we’re still mostly in the realm of plastics. Even so, in the sub-$30 range, metals become a reality, with YYF’s PopStar coming in around $26. Even hubstacks get into the picture with the solid performing Plastic Grind Machine. The PGM gives you an entire new dimension of capability although many people get bored after a while, which may or may not apply to individuals. Many of the plastics in this range are very solid players and have good weight, including the YYJ Legacy II and Chaser. The DieNasty is in this range as well as the Duncan Freehand Zero

Going into the sub-$40 category, the options really open up. YYF has some killer plastics in this range, the Protostar and Northstar. Metals become a more realistic option. Shinwoo’s Dolphin comes to mind, as well as the Duncan Raptor.

The next jump is the sub-$50 range where you top out. YYJ has lots of plastic/metal yoyos in this range, my favorites being a Speeder 2 and Dark magic 2. Shinwoo has the Zen line that are mostly in this range, as is the dv888, putting many metals within your grasp.

But, these are all NEW prices. BST can be amazing. As you’re free from the realm of retail, it’s up to what people want to work out. As someone stated, you can maybe trade multiples to get one “big ticket” item.

I have many $100+ yoyos. I like them, no question about it. But, I find myself coming back to my Dark Magic II. It’s all about preferences. But it’s also about state of mind, as I have no issue pulling my Whip out and throwing that and having a good time. With many amazing plastics, getting a quality yoyo isn’t going to break the bank. It’s not about the money, it’s about the state of mind. If you don’t care what it costs, then you’re going to have fun and enjoy yourself, learn and progress no matter what you throw. However, I’m also of the mindset that pretty much all of us deserve to get a high-end metal yoyo at some point in time. Some people disagree with this, especially for those in a position such as myeslf who aren’t that good. Even so, having a really good yoyo can help you out a lot. It won’t correct bad throws, but it will often be better balanced and often longer spinning(due in part to better bearings usually) and help you learn tricks. At the same time, what you learn on an inexpensive yoyo applies with stuff on the high end side.

Fun has no price. Enjoyment has no price. So don’t worry that you don’t have any over $50 yoyos. Enjoy what you have and look towards ugprading, either via retail or BST. I will admit, there’s nothing quite like being the first person to have that new yoyo… There’s not really that “new yoyo smell” that you get with new cars though! Maybe they should spray yoyos with “new car smell” stuff!

When we jump into the sub-$40

Doing contract labor can really be a pain sometimes. I know exactly where your coming from on that. The company i work for is a small Tree service based out of Newport, Oregon. In my five years of being an Arborist we have had a couple people argue about price or just flat out refuse to pay (though it is very rare) even though we are the cheapest available Arborists around. People can be rediculous.
Too bad you don’t live closer Studio, I would love to help out a fellow yoyoer and take your trees down for ya! Climbing and rigging is our specialty! Sorry to hear that your having trouble.
Back on topic, Yes, money is always an issue in life. No matter what you do you can never have enough. You just have to learn to be satisfied with what you do have. Like everyone else said, the bst is a great place. You just have to make the effort. I rarely buy yoyos anymore. Thats the beauty of trading! :slight_smile:

I don’t own any yoyos at all at the moment. I don’t really yoyo that much anymore, but I still like to keep up with the community and all my friends that yoyo.
You don’t need an expensive yoyo to do tricks and have fun. These days there are a ton of really cheap yoyos that are really fun and cool. The new PSG looks like an amazing yoyo for only $15.99. There are also a lot of cheap stuff from YoYoFactory and YoYoJam. I think the Legacy II is only like 20 something, I’m not sure though. But I remember the Legacy was the first unresponsive yoyo I ever had, and I just absolutely loved it. So I’m sure the legacy II is a very great yoyo as well.
Anyways, even though it’s great to have a smooth, metal yoyo, doesn’t mean yoyoing isn’t fun without them. Cheaper plastics can be just as fun, plus you are able to let another kid try it without worrying about them dinging it.
I will probably pick up a PSG today because I think it will be fun, and I hope you do the same.
:slight_smile:

The on;y time i see a new yoyo is around birthdays and holidays. Its ok though. There aren’t to many yoyo i want at he moment. I would like to get my mitts on some of the full size one drops. maybe i should set up a bst thread.