If the NFL is rigged then clap your hands

This should be an easy one to post on.

I’m of the opinion that the games have been heavily manipulated for a long time. It’s about entertainment, and they’ve gotta keep it entertaining. There’s too much money involved to risk losing viewership with a tepid season of football.

I get the same vibes from watching an NFL game that I do from watching a WWE match. Lots of fun but I don’t pretend it’s not set up to entertain me by any means necessary!

Just my opinion, don’t ask me to prove it.

Ivan

2 Likes

The NFL isn’t rigged I can promise that.

2 Likes

tom brady is magic

2 Likes

The Atlanta Falcons are the best football team to ever exist. The fact that they haven’t had a good season in recent memory is all the evidence I need.

1 Like

NFL may or may not be. I have definitely had that feeling watching many sports especially when the final series goes to game 7 and it seems a team isn’t trying hard.
But holy ■■■■ the NFL is sooooo boring. Just the same as soccer. So many stops and time outs and reviews and the commercials :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping: the flow is terrible. Its only semi interesting going to a game but still way better other live sporting events

2 Likes

Sports entertainment subsidized by taxpayer owned venues and special tax treatment.

3 Likes

That’s all true, but it’s not the same as a rigged game.

1 Like

To me it’s the same as competitive yoyo. Or any kind of sport which depends on a level of human subjectivity.

We want these things to be perfect and pristine and exist in a vacuum of objectivity and yet we also want them to be human.

For me the only way to experience sports without getting angry is with detachment. I can watch a game and admire the incredible skill (and sometimes beauty) but if I invest in the outcome I start picking apart all the ways in which it’s invalid or unfair. If you EXPECT people to officiate or run a perfect game, you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.

7 Likes

I remember talk about the NFL collapsing decades ago. Then a movie, ‘The Last Boy Scout’ had a script that referenced it.

Unfortunately I have felt the NFL has been orchestrated for a long time. Not as fake as WWE, but narratives pushed, stories predetermined.

Creation of Tom Brady, a polarizing player as Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton and Led Zeppelin’s Stairway to Heaven. People will tune in to the game just in hopes to see him fail.

The lights going out during the 49ers and Ravens Super Bowl. Cause the NFL can never have an 80’s blowout Super Bowl. The Ravens were on the verge of running a way with it, and ratings would drop and then the network would be on the hook to possible return advertising money. Thus possibly lowing the price tag networks would offer the NFL for future Super Bowls.

I play a pool, but it is just a straight up win loss pool, no spreads.

I’m a Steeler fan, and I have won several picks, thinking what would be the talking points of the talking heads on the Sports Talk shows.

There have been several years where Steelers and Ravens have been close in standings. Depending on how the 1pm game goes for either the Steelers or Ravens go, I have changed my pick for the other game. If the Ravens or Steelers are 2 games behind one or the other and lose the 1 pm game, I have change the other game to a loss just because it would hurt the talking heads story wise if the other teams wins and goes 3 games up in the division. (Hope that makes sense)

My brother and my cousins think I’m crazy when I say there will be an undefeated team again. The younger generation who will be buying all the NFL merch will need to have some one new talk about, the players remaining from the 72 Dolphins are becoming irrelevant.

No matter what Belichick, will break Shula’s win record. Just to connect the viewing audience with the record. Fans who can still remember games of Shula on the sidelines are getting smaller.

It’s all about driving stories.

2 Likes

The NFL isn’t rigged any more than Professional Wrestling.

Most interesting that some retired NFL players become Pro Wrestlers.

I guess their experience is a plus😉

7 Likes

i don’t follow nfl or football much, will
catch a game or so, i’m
more of a baseball
guy and rock the home team
swag… but i never put much thought into it…. the amount of energy that is dramatized in the lead-ups, minisculization of stats, generation of merch - and rivalries, it makes for quite an festival industry.

who’d a thought this topic blossomed on yoyo forum lol

3 Likes

I gave up on football in general when the fantasy football boom happened, I feel like it influenced the game in a way that made it lackluster to watch. That and working weekends I don’t have time for that stuff!

2 Likes

fantasy football seems very involved, bit i think there’s folls like @Grunt that do very well at it.

1 Like

I don’t think so, how would you keep all the players and staff quiet? Eventually someone of stature would come forward. To believe so, is to believe in an impossible multi level complicated conspiracy. But I don’t know 100%.

3 Likes

I don’t think it would be as difficult as that. Basically it would just require a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) upon accepting a position. Most of the players would probably not even need to be wise to the scheme for it to work but the NDA would keep them quiet in any case.

As far as I know, similar practices are already used by some development and manufacturing companies to protect trade secrets. Employees sign the NDA upon being hired, and are prosecuted if they violate the terms at any time. Not many people would risk spilling the beans if, for instance, they knew they could end up in prison or lose the nice things they’d bought with the money they’d earned over the years.

Again, this is only my opinion and I do not have hard references to back it up. Just theorizing is all.

Ivan

1 Like

All you really need is a few officials in on it. They can, and often do, turn the outcome of a game based on a call or non-call.

Certainly not the most far fetched theory but I wouldn’t say it’s rigged without some evidence. Like an ex-official coming out and stating that they were told how to call a game or to make sure that the calls favored one team.

The NFL certainly qualifies as an organization to be skeptical of. Lots of money to be made or lost based on the gambling side. More than that in ad revenue.

Where there’s money, you can find corruption.

kgb

1 Like

MMA is the way to go IMHO , I find it INCREDIBLY boring watching grown ■■■■■■■ play with balls of ANY sort :joy:(puck included) , If there’s no risk of someone get flying Kneed in the face , uppercut into oblivion (YouTube Ngannou Vs Overeem lol) , or a Jujitsu, wrestling or striking CLINIC being put on someone, I DONT wanna see it :man_shrugging:t5:
The overall stakes are WAY higher when 2 people put it all on the line in the octagon, there’s no team to fall back on , there’s no Plays to blame , there no NOTHING , but 1 Human Vs another Human , testing one another’s skill to see who comes out on top.

And THAT to me is why team sports are incredibly boring :man_shrugging:t5:

1 Like