I'd love to see a special edition SB2 Deep state

I second that. The smaller bearing responsives just play better.

4 Likes

Some day I’m going to have to pry a SB Daytona out of somebody’s cold dead hands, or buy one, whichever comes first.

Smaller gap width means better response. A heavily lubed bearing as close to normal fixie width as possible allows for longer spin times (than fixies), but also has snappy response.

SB Daytona is :100: worth whatever you need to do to get one. I love mine so much. It’s the most expensive YoYo I own and $300 is so much but I’m happy every time I play with it.

3 Likes

Having made some slimline bearings myself, I’m quite aware of this. I think though that and A bearing being better for responsive play is more of an illusion. I wouldn’t want to go larger than a C bearing due to the possibility with it interrupting stall stability, but it’s about tuning gap and response the the bearing kind.

I’ve made a few bearing POM slimline that use slim C bearings that responsed and played well.

1 Like

Larger bearings naturally have more kickback which results in up-loops on regens not to mention the slightly augmented “pause” at the end of the string before responding. Can be mitigated w lube, but that doesn’t last. If you try to cancel the effect with a super thin gap it gets overly shaggy. Definitely not an illusion. Small bearings and low rim (and overall) weight are 100% ideal for modern responsive bearing play imo. (I say this despite the Flying V - maybe the 1st modern responsive metal? - being my sig
model)

That said, Deep State is its own thing and super fun.

9 Likes

I don’t think that’s true. Smaller bearings have more kickback.

It’s also true of fixed axles. The smaller the axle diameter, the greater the kickback (as long as the gap remains the same on both).

1 Like

You’re right I used the wrong word. Loop-ups is what I was referring to. With a wide gap and small diam you get kickback and down loops. C bearings often give the opposite effect on responsive throws which is, to me, just as irritating.

4 Likes

I would argue that the up-looping effect of C bearings causes less interference with STM tricks than with an A bearing though. I had to virtually relearn them with my 650b.

1 Like

Interesting that you say that, I have very augmented pauses at the end of the string with my 650b. I tried absolutely cramming the bearing with thick lube, but it only helped slightly.

1 Like

I’ve posted a few tricks of me getting it to work ok. Small bearing & pad response works better for me but to each their own.

9 Likes

I kinda feel making the response pads bigger would mitigate some of this effect, even if you kept the slim C bearing … but I am unaware of any slim C bearing modern responsives with giant silicone response pads? :thinking:

2 Likes

The issue there is no one has made pads with that outer diameter. It’d be a very specific thing to make since regular diameter silicone pads are great for most C’s and large ones like that would necessitate a seriously high wall around the bearing.

2 Likes

The Moonshine V1 and The Gamer use Snowtires or 21mm response.

2 Likes

And I would DEFINITELY say that in both those cases there is not a consistent level of response, esp for the weight. Fun to play with but not ideal for modern responsive tricks. The Moonshine V2 made a world of difference.

4 Likes

Wow, you basically got them to make the Deeper State! I have one on the way, very excited

3 Likes

Well I’ll be darned!! All kudos to @da5id and @The_Machinist … indeed there was a sequel and it is amazing!

https://onedropyoyos.com/yoyos/deeper-state/

7 Likes