I Overtightened my Legacy. :'(

Okay so one day, I was playing with my Legacy and it was really annoying because the string always gets trapped at the bearing so I cleaned the bearing seat and everything. No luck. So I thought I didnt made it tight enough. And BOOM, Overtight. And now, I hate my Legacy because the string has been trapped as ever. :’( Hu, hu :’( My money, wasted. My dream, crashed. I need to save up for like two months to buy another yoyo.
So please, is there any way to make it play like normal again? Please Help Me!

So what happened? The yoyo won’t twist apart?

Like if I keep twisting it, it just keeps twisting and it wont lock. :cry:

one thing I could say is that your string is dead. :-\

And I think your Axel is loose now and I think the yoyo is dead now :’(
I think the only way to fix your legacy is to break the nub part and somehow lock the Axel. Other than that you probably have no hope. :frowning:

and the way I told you is a very dangerous way so take it as the last priority if nothing works.

If i lock the axel, no chance to take it apart right?

Well your axle will be locked there forever. like how it was when you first got it, you know how you cant take out yoyojam axles .
And I really don’t recommend the way I told you. Remember don’t do it right away, last priority

So… What do I use to lock it?

You could either get some threadlocker from Loctite (blue might work but you would probably want the step up from the blue) or you could get the stuff to redo the threads and then get a slightly bigger axle. You’ll need a tap and dye (I think that’s the right terms, people at a hardware store would know) and make sure to get the same size axle. For the axle, ask your dad if he has the stuff to cut a bolt because that’s probably the easiest way to get a homemade axle.

1 Like

So the first method where you get Loctite is where you can’t take the yoyo apart anymore right? And the second method is where you bring it all up to normal. But the second method looks like you have to do a lot.

Loctite threadlocker comes in several different strengths. Some of them really get the thing stuck in there so there’s no way it’s coming out, and then there’s some weaker ones that are made to allow the threads to be undone. Blue and the next step up (whatever color that is) will let you undo them.

So blue is the best choice right?

(Sorry if I ask too many questions. I’m just panicking that there’s no chance to fix my only yoyo.)

Oh there’s always a way to fix it. And don’t worry, questions need to be asked sometimes.

I was thinking there were 4 or 5 levels of threadlocker, but I guess not. Blue might work. Red would probably work, but then it would be pretty hard to get the axle out at all so I would at least try the blue first.

O.K. I’ll definitely try blue then. So you put the thread locker around the axle and screw it back on, right? After I screw it back on, do I have to like wait?

Well, you can put too much in. Figure out how far into the yoyo the axle goes. Then the part that you know will go in the axle is the part you’ll have the threadlocker on. Mark (maybe with a small piece of tape) how far the axle goes in, and start there and just make a straight, somewhat narrow line to the end of the axle and put it in. I don’t know for sure if you have to let it dry but I think you do. The package should say. I think like 5 minutes is good, but I would let it sit for more than that just in case, unless the package says otherwise.

I found video on youtube about threadlockers and they said that you can put the threadlocker in the hole where the axle’s going to be.

ONE MORE THING, why do you have to measure it?

Well you don’t have to be super exact, but I said that mainly so you don’t have any of the threadlocker just sitting in the open (so you don’t waste any). It’s just how I would do it if I were doing it.

Didn’t know you could put it where the axle will be going, but it seems to me like it would be easier to put it on the axle. Either way.

So basically:

• Buy Loctite Blue
  • Put it in the axle.
  • Screw it back on.

Now, is there still gonna be a chance that I can take the yoyo apart?

Yup. Blue lets you take it apart still, just it’s a little harder, but it’s mainly to keep screws from coming out from vibrations.

1 Like