I Like Loud Throws and I Cannot Lie

I enjoy the snarl of my YYF Confusion.

True. My gauntlet and kuntosh also.

OG Iceberg is a screaming meme, suppose to have a special bearing on the original release forgot what type, pixel something like that, what ever is in the one it has a fast hollow medium pitch shhhhhhhhhh that is consistent .

2 Likes

I don’t like bearings that sound like pebbles are rolling around in them, but I do like a nice resonant ringing.

I had an old YYR Overdrive that sounded like a softly humming bell. Sometimes wish I still had it…

2 Likes

I actually really enjoy some noisier throws, but there are some instances
I just dont like. One is noisy plastics. It just feels cheap when you could have some nice metal instead. Two is a loud bearing that you know just has grit in it. You can tell the difference between a noisy ceramic spinning like a top, and the grittiness of a bearing in need of cleaning. Otherwise, a bit of noise can add to the feel in play. My Vayders sound like mini chainsaws and are more the fun for it.

2 Likes

yea sounds like metall cat :smile_cat:

1 Like

The sound of a loud bearing in an MK1 contact is golden y’all

2 Likes

Haha. I purchased a Mike Monty Memento in January because I loved the sound of it in his videos.

:point_up_2: This

1 Like

A yoyo that plays nice and quiet really enhances the experience for me.

2 Likes

Boo! Confirmation bias posts only please :laughing:

I had a SPYY Addiction that sang like a raspy toothy whistle with your lips pursing and pulling back as the yoyo moved around. I sold it long ago, but I can still hear that sound.

4 Likes

I kinda figured it the other way around, since plastic absorbs more vibrations it should theoretically play quieter in general while metal transmits the vibrations to the air as sound.

My loudest throw is a Replay Pro, I suspect because of the plastic panels on the sides. I guess maybe they create a sound box to reverbrate and amplify the bearing noise or something?

My quietest throw is the hybrid Speedaholic XX. That yoyo is dense at the center (metal hub) with a chunky but light plastic outer ring. I wonder if the outer ring serves as a damper of sorts?

My metals are in between as far as sound volume but what sound they make is definitely more pleasant than plastic to me. That sort of quiet metallic ringing noise makes me happy.

Ivan

2 Likes

This could probably be a thesis for a PhD in mechanical engineering. Any takers?

My brain dead theory is the vibrations are traveling through the body of the yo-yo as opposed to aluminum it travels around the yo-yo. Again I’m just guessing LOL

I have a Chief, copper speckle. Got it from Charles Haycock way back when. It has a bog standard 8-ball CT in it but it makes a similar wooshing/whistle when in motion. Only in that Chief does it make that particular sound.

Its interesting you say that, because a non lubed 8 ball ct bearing sounds crazy in my shutter, but no other bearing or yoyo will sound like it. Sounds Almost like a tesla coil with the pitch

nine dragons

1 Like

The iCEBERG is an option. When cleaned, it is Flipping LOUD.

Same bro!

True, because the caps are SUPER LOUD

3 Likes