I have too much time on my hands

When you get the switch lite, you’ll have to let me know what you think of it. It’s been on my radar. Probably the closest thing to a modern day Vita.

2 Likes

so i can design a yoyo with fusion 360 and they won’t charge me?

Man, there are so many great suggestions here! I may go through this thread again to find a new hobby for myself!
Personally, I’d also recommend the music side of things. If you can sing, even a little, piano or guitar. Piano ‘cause it makes theory stuff so much easier to visualize and learn, which will serve you well even if you go on to other instruments or composition type stuff. Guitar is portable and versatile. Decent guitars are quite reasonably priced these days, and many budget models are surprisingly good. If you can sing at all, you can pretty easily learn the basic chords in very short period of time and accompany yourself, so just getting started rewards you pretty fast. But there’s a lifetime of learning in them thar’ strings, if you care to dive in deep.

2 Likes

i actually own 9 musical instruments! and yes Piano helps with other instruments GREATLY! if you know one string tuning then you know that entire string

2 Likes

Especially since they’re remaking Super Metroid ^_^. And that Link’s Awakening remake… just damn.

2 Likes

I’m surprised no one mentioned skateboarding. It’s a natural extension of yoyoing; just with your feet. And maybe some at home gymnastics and strength training so you can get those Shu-type reflexes. Rodney Mullen’s dad was a dentist and hyper protective, and he is still one of the greatest skaters and innovators alive. Watch his videos if you’ve never seen him. He invented a great amount of modern skateboarding. He practiced in his barn and garage by himself. 14 is the greatest age to start things like this. Just remember, everything takes time. While you may not feel like you’re progressing, your brain is undergoing a huge amount of myelination currently (making new neural pathways), so even when it feels like you’re not progressing, you are. Motor memory imprints in the cerebellum are being strengthened and refined through every attempt. Remember-perseverance and repetition, repetition, repetition; It’s the backbone of all learning.

2 Likes

my brother has a Penny board maybe i’ll try that!

2 Likes

Gotta start somewhere. It’ll be good for picking up the rudiments of pushing and tic tacing (movement). Remember, just like in yo-yo…when you learn it one way, time to switch it up and train your non-dominant side. Take advantage of this age and time now. Best advice I could give that I wished I had heeded when I was younger (32 now ^_^). And read extensively.

2 Likes

i’m very tempted to stop doing school and go skateboard :sweat_smile:
edit: i’m homeschooled and almost done with school i have the entire day to do like 2 more subjects lol

2 Likes

ok i just went outside and (very cautiously because i don’t have any experience with skateboards) went around my drive way hit a stone and fell off the board but i’m fine and unhurt

3 Likes

Pads and a helmet. Coordination takes time and you gotta build those small muscles for balance. Abdominal, obliques, and lower back muscle exercises really help as these are your core muscle areas (aka, Rectus abdominis and transversus, internal and external abdominal obliques, your erector spinae muscles, quadratus lumborum, etc). You will fall, so pad up. Cool is not cracking your skull. Pebbles and rocks can be gone over with small weight distribution shifts from front to back and then vice versa as you roll over. Tic-tacing helps too.

2 Likes

i’m probably gonna blow off my driveway before pursuing it more lol

2 Likes

Fair enough ^_^. Probably help a lot. Errant pebbles have ruined many a trick and day.

2 Likes

but yes i’m gonna work on balance i wasn’t saying “i’m gonna disregard everything you just said” i am gonna work on it but i will also blow off my driveway :joy:

2 Likes

I didn’t assume that. Either way, it’s all good. :slight_smile: and most importantly, enjoy the journey. You only get to live each step once.

2 Likes

it’s true!

2 Likes

Yep, just give it a try. A simple google should suffice to find the download page. Autodesk (the company behind Fusion 360) also has a faq and forum for help with that.
Here’s a guide to yoyo design -->

There’s also a post on yoyo design you’ve probably seen, but I’ll look for a link to it anyway lol

2 Likes
2 Likes

Also, if you use Discord and are familiar with discord bots, why not give making one yourself a try?
I’m using Python so here’s the tutorial playlist I’m looking at right now -->

1 Like

awesome! about to eat dinner so i’ll watch that in a bit and yes i have seen the topic but i’ll probably read it again lol

1 Like