I have a dream, a dream that I want to be a reality.

Of course!
The only thing unwanted would be the elitist mindset that one skill is “over” the other.
:wink:

Nobody needs to be a master of all or one, but why wouldn’t you want to be? Why take up a certain skill toy if you have no desire to master it?

I own a Kenama, devil sticks, juggling clubs, juggling balls (I make Chainmaille juggling balls), ballisong pen, Diablo (it broke), Astrojacks, magic tricks, decks upon decks of playing cards for extreme card manipulation, rubics cubes, boomerangs, Fushigi ball, hackey sack/dirtbags, that frisbee looking thing with the elastic cord attached to your hand with velcro, the ring that has smaller rings that spin as you spin the larger ring… I could go on and on about all the skill toys I own.

I never said it was bad to branch out. It’s fine if you don’t want to master anything. It’s fine if you want to be mediocre at all of them rather than great at one. However, I don’t look at still toys that way. I see them as a challenge to be mastered.

Think about it. Do you really want to be stuck at the “rock the baby” stage equivalent on each of these different skill toys because you spread your practice time too thinly between the different skill toys? Or would you rather be at the “ladder escape” stage equivalent in one of these skill toys? I would choose to be a master of one.

I am one of the people that you’re suggesting other people be, and I can tell you with 100% honesty if I could go back in time and eliminate 90% of the skill toys I wasted my time on when I could have been yoyoing I would. Granted it took me going through all those skill toys to find yoyoing, but for me yoyoing is the ultimate.

I’m not saying yoyoing is better than anything else or the best choice for you. I would just recommend that when you find your favorite skill toy, stick with it. I would rather be a master of one, than a jack of all trades kind of guy. When you focus on one craft, true greatness can be achieved.

Oh, btw, these communities already exist. Have you ever been to a RenFair/RenFest?

One last thought. This forum is sponsored by YoyoExpert, which sells Yoyos, Kendamas, and Spin Tops. Each time you convince someone (a paying customer) to branch out into other skill toys, you are taking money directly out of YoyoExpert’s pocket. I feel it’s a little disrespectful.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree, as your mindset is very different from what mine is. And thats perfectly fine.
I see all skill toys as a means to express ones spirit and flow, and all of them are a method and an aid to the other, so when people choose to branch out, they are in fact growing from the use of all.
I see all of the skill and flow arts as one large entity, all gathering energy off one another, and as one, and all the fellow enthusiast together as one, it would create a very special bond and effect.

I have been to a renfest, and that is not exactly what we want to go for here, it would literally be a melding of all realms, further than any renfair-juggling fest has gone before.

Your last comment is probably one of the most childish and ridiculous things I have ever heard.
If anything, for one to branch out into the other skill and flow realms of expression, they would find greater inspiration for their yoyoing, thus more enthusiasm, thus possibility for more of their money spent here, as well as other communities and worlds. Essentially, everyone gains.

Simple as that.

Haru

barf

Noone in the yoyo community gains when a yoyoer leaves the yoyo community. Andre doesn’t gain when people stop buying yoyos.

Excuse my french but u need to watch yer mouth son ^^^^^

I recomnd doing one in nc. I know some hoopers and poi dancers, and it would raise awarness of yoyoing, considering there and only like 7 of us in the whole state and we never have contests. Only one club and its tiny.

Again, we will have to agree to disagree.

Haru

I agree with JetEyeNight here. If you do all those hobbies, how are you going to improve in any one of them? I don’t know how you spend your time, but I for one know I don’t have time to learn 25 different hobbies and be proficient in any of them. I only yoyo (I have dabbled in kendama a little bit), but I appreciate all hobbies. See, basically what you’re suggesting is branch out to the point where Worlds will be dumbed down to a string ladder. I see zero benefit in that (except then I could win Worlds :P)

I like variety. Have your separated events, and have some multi-hobby events. But if you want to “meld the realms” so you can “flow with your spirit” or whatever, do it yourself. Instead of just ranting about it, you could lead by example and start the events you envision.

Just my two cents.

this is what me and a few others are already working on setting up actually, I didn’t come here to rant, I came to raise awareness and open the eyes of those who might not be able to see.
There are tremendous benefits from branching out into many realms, and I have found this to be most worthwhile as many others have as well.
Like mentioned earlier, I knew some would groan at the idea, but thats ok! Everyone has their differences on the way they see things, this is how I see it, and Im moving forward.
Nothing more than that.
:slight_smile:

I leave with this:

truly showing diversity in skill with kendama, poi, and juggling, taking elements from all 3, you can combine into one incredible skill.

^ ^

1 Like

That was “OK” (nice and all, but nothing that was blowing my mind) until 1:40. And then the juggling aspect kicked in and it was pretty boss. :smiley:

Personally I just like to yoyo. Nothing wrong with other skill toys, but they are just not for me, especially considering I already do not have as much time as I wish I could to yoyo.
I have skipped around hobbies a lot (guitar, penny whistle, soccer, dance) and art and yoyo those just ended up being what clicked.

If you love something than go ahead and do it, and if not than you you shouldn’t be chained to it. Just because I throw I shouldn’t have to become a skill toy enthusiast.

Noone
[/quote]
I love it when people type this.

Saying that taking up multiple skill toys will prevent you from growing good at one is so wrong I… I’m not sure what I thought, actually. Taking up another skill toy would improve your yoyoing. Lets say that I decide to start contact juggling. Well, first off, my excited first weekend with my acrylic ball prevented me from yoyoing, allowing my brain to sort through my muscle memory and purify, sort and organize it. I think it’s called the reminiscence effect. But anyway, that 2 day break improved my yoyoing, would it have improved it more than if I had thrown for those two days? Depends on how long I’ve been throwing for. For me, yes. For a beginner, no. So, back onto my contact juggling progression, I decide to take a major element of contact juggling and incorporate it into yoyos. So now, I’m doing isolation type stuff in my yoyoing. And, as my contact juggling gets smoother, my yoyoing gets smoother. So, that’s what contact juggling can do. Want me to write a long post about the benefits of normal juggling? Asrojax? Hackysack? So, in summary, thinking that not attempting other skill toys will make you a better yoyoer… Go away. Your not funny.

Saying you’re able to master anything is silly in the first place.

One can strive to achieve mastery, sure, but it won’t actually happen.

In skill toys, there probably aren’t any people in the world that can do everything, all the time, on demand. There are always new things to discover and get better at.

But SOME things can be mastered! You don’t have to be “the best in the world” to have mastered something. I am a master at sleeping in. :wink: There are master chess players (heck, there are GRAND masters!). Some people have absolute control over a sea vessel as much as a person can have control over such a thing (doesn’t mean it’s impossible for them to flounder). You can master stuff. I’ve seen master musicians.

Master painters…

Master debaters…

There are lots of masters out there!

Master as a title and claiming mastery over something are different, I think… I mean, your yoyo will always be capable of more than you are, you know?

(Yes, I know there are National YoYo Masters, before somebody points that out)

As with many things, it’s a matter of semantics. If you think “mastery” over a skill means absolute infallibility, there is no such thing. Nobody can be so perfect at something that it is impossible for them to fail.

Staff manipulators and penspinners would get along well.

To me, and probably to most of us, yoyoing is a hobby. It has nothing to do with being a master, perhaps improving, but not being a master. There are even those who are integral to the community that have had little progression in say a year or two and have quite the extensive collections.

Although I enjoy yoyoing, I try other skill toys and hobbies to find something that I may excel at rather than only have fun with. Putting some together is good, doing all may not be good, but hey. To each their own.

We all have our preferences, and I respect that. Personally, I do believe being a jack of all would stand with more appeal to me for certain reasons which I have no desire to divulge at this time.
Currently, I’m dying to try my hand at contact juggling, but that’s still three days away. :frowning:

Bull manure. Devoting time to other skill toys makes you more skilled at those skill toys, not yo-yoing. I know this from experience. Devoting time to practice yo-yoing instead of branching out WILL make you a better yoyoer. Any time spent not yo-yoing is time spent not improving your yoyo skills. That is 100% fine if that is what you want, but don’t kid yourself.

I guess I have no concept of why someone would create a rivalry between skill toys in their head to begin with. Sounds like one of the bigger wastes of time and effort that I’ve ever heard.

Every time I see someone who is really good at some skill that I’m not good at, my first reaction is awe. Always. The next thought is never “they better not do that around me!”. ???