I got a dumbphone

Looking forward to this one. I want to get away from the world of constant notifications and Googling on the go. So I got this. It has zero apps and no Wi-Fi capability.

15 Likes

I’ve been thinking about making the very same downgrade.

4 Likes

I’m predicting a life of liberation.

4 Likes

I miss my flip phone.

2 Likes

I had a Light Phone for a few weeks. It was nice. But it worked really poorly with my provider. Loved the idea though.

But ultimately, virtually everything I DON’T like about my iPhone, I have the choice not to use/enable. Or I can leave it at home. (And the convenience of music, navigation, and the cross-compatibility of text/iMessage is nice.)

A big part of me really misses the simplicity of days just a couple decades ago where everything wasn’t streaming and immediately available, you had to talk to people to communicate, maps were made of paper, mix-tapes were on actual tapes, and the yoyo’s were (almost) all fixed axle :wink: But things change and today’s ok too (I mean up till 2020 lol).

11 Likes

:grimacing:

3 Likes

Why not keep WiFi turned off and go into setting and turn off notifications?

PS… I am getting tired of driving waaaaay too fast, too often.

So I was thinking of buying a brand new car with a simple 4 cylinder engine.

I currently have a 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle with a Moroso built 396 racing engine.

I seriously thought about it🤔

But I just decided to just drive slower in the car that I have.

:roll_eyes:.

5 Likes

Checking and using my phone constantly has become a habit. No better way or breaking it than removing the problem, I think.

2 Likes

If you turned off WiFi and turned off notifications. You would eliminate the problem.

Of course if you really feel you have to completely change phones instead of just taking 15 seconds to stop WiFi and notifications…>

Then perhaps the dumb phone was your best option.:joy:

1 Like

That looks like my phone Glen!

Have a look at this Neil Postman lecture. Delivered in 1997 it’s more relevant today than ever.

3 Likes

I’m not sure your understanding the problem, Doc.

The problem is that I have formed a habit of being on my phone. Simply turning off notifications does nothing to eliminate my habit. It’s easy to turn it off and equally easy to turn back on again.

2 Likes

Well, if you have such limited self control. Then you are certainly better off with your new phone.

3 Likes

No need to rude man. As you say it take 15 seconds to turn notifications and WiFi off. So that means it take 15 seconds to turn it back on. Therefore very easy to end up being back on your phone.
Somehow you’ve got this far in life without developing a habit of any kind so don’t understand how hard it can be to kick. Let the man do what he needs to do

4 Likes

Don’t look now, but Glen and I happen to be friends. You may not have noticed before you responded, that the one ‘like’ I got was from Glen. Glen is not at all shy. If he has any problem with me. He lets me know.

You may not like my style of responding. And thanks for sticking up where you thought there was a problem.

Fortunately, there is no problem. Just old Mo jerking his friends chain.

5 Likes

Its all good, Doc. I agree with you in that I should have the self control to turn things off and just ‘Stop It!’ but I seem to routinely be lacking in that particular character quality.

4 Likes

The “dumb phone” is small and slips conveniently into your pocket. A flip phone is just tougher all the way around. What I would miss most however, is my GPS.

I sort of miss a flip phone, sometimes it’s all you need. As long as it has a GPS and can text.

2 Likes

One time I used a 7" tablet with network data as my “phone”! I used Google Voice and Hangouts to call and text. I did that for a year! I finally gave up when it wasn’t reliable enough.

My wife would walk away from me, and pretend she didn’t know me if I ever used it in public! :rofl:

5 Likes

I was excited about the 2020 Motorola Razr because I miss having a small flip phone. While the new Razr is still a flip phone it’s far from a “dumb phone” now as it has full smart phone capabilities. Then I saw the price of it and, well, I guess I’ll admire it from afar.

2 Likes

I like this one.

After a little research, yes and no

This baby’s minty and still has the plastic over the screen.

2 Likes