Hybrid loudness

Yo how loud are your hybrids(plastic plus metal)? I heard they’re loud but is this universally true?

3 Likes

Pangis going for the feel of old school yoyojam throws people saying they will be louder then normal is kinda funny. it’s just a different kinda noise, to me it’s a nostalgia sound, when I played with my yoyojam as a kid I never heard my mom say anything about the noise so I’m confident in saying it’ll sound like the plastic fulvia or any plastic throw with a bit more bass but you’ll love it. the new hybrid fulvia will be amazing just grab one and support the cause lol you will be sad if you miss out on these because of noise. Also the og non anodized rings will be more enjoyable as a thrower to see them change as you grow as a player too, that’s how it was with my sfx, oh and if anyone has an sfx spare lol lemme cop it :joy:

2 Likes

I think its case by case because the Monarch and hybrid 5050 I have aren’t any louder than my other yo’s, albeit they do sound a little unique.

2 Likes

Okay I read the blog post all about the hybrid fluvia because seeing that was what inspired me to ask this. I was about ready to cop but I think it is just a bit too wide for me looks sweet though and I’ve abolished my bias for hybrids generally. I will go check out some others because the physical properties of combining the two materials definitely seems like it can lead to some awesome yoyo designs…

1 Like

based on the search results when searching “hybrid yoyo loud” i would guess they’re super loud lol. i have experience with 1, the monarch, which wasnt loud by yoyo standards.

2 Likes

I think I’m going to get a hybrid next. I been wanting an iceberg but havent because of the loudness. Looking forward to seeing the UNPRLD Notion coming out soon. I saw this new speedaholic hybrid this weekend too. I forget where I seen better photos of it with it side by side next to the normal one.

5 Likes

My personal observation is that thinner walls are better at amplifying bearing noise and other vibrations but chunky rims can dampen that noise. This is true for plastics, hybrids aluminum monos and Al-based bimetals.

2 Likes

Yes but do you think the use of plastic is also inherently louder? This has been my experience so far and I thought this was a consensus but I could absolutely be wrong. My al+ss bimetals are super quiet.

Lol yeah I did search and people do say they are loud but I’ve also heard that the monarch isn’t loud and that made me think I had a yoyo misunderstanding and should use the forum to get it straight. I usually try to check the forum graveyard before asking questions but this search didn’t lead to any good answers.

1 Like

Once i replaced my ROOC’s bearing to a Dif-E-Yo it got quiet

2 Likes

This looks sick and I do love my speedaholic XX but I’ve come to prefer a more narrow yoyo and throw that one less because it’s a touch too wide for me like all of the hybrids I’ve seen so far are pretty wide like at 46mm+ I think I have to pass rn. I got weird preferences though I think I don’t know

1 Like

I does seem to me that thin-walled plastic is inherently more effective at amplifying vibration, (or perhaps just audible vibration).

I don’t have any experience with YYJ hybrids, so I don’t know how something based on those designs would play out. I think it comes down to how the materials are used/proportioned.

But I would expect something like a C3 hybrid built for modern performance to be loud.

3 Likes

My old Dark Magic 2 YoYoJams aren’t loud at all. So I’m hoping the new Hybrid Fulvia is the same since it’s heavily inspired by them.

5 Likes

My ROOC seems to phase between smooth hum and ice-cubes-in-a-blender depending on the bearing and the stability of the flow.

I can understand not liking the noise, but the feedback can be kind of helpful.

2 Likes

Yo I know you weent responding to me but I also like audio feedback from yo-yos and I feel like I was wrong to say my yo-yos were silent earlier because I definitely still hear them like I can tell when I get a good throw bc of the high pitch and when I’m losing rpm’s naturally or due to bumps or overcrowding the gap. I just like them quiet and I get people liking them louder idk I have a quiet apartment and can’t do like dry bearings.

1 Like

I have the Dressel Hybrid and it is one of the quietest throws I have, smooth and nice!

4 Likes

I think that plastic is naturally louder because plastic isnt as stiff of a material as metals , and I think the vibrations cause the sound to rattle around. All of my plastics play pretty loud, or maybe the sound is just more noticable… not sure.

3 Likes

M only experience here is with various YoYoJam yoyos. I don’t think they are loud or louder than any other yoyos I have either all plastic or all metal. To me, a dry beariing is loud no matter what the yoyo is made of. I keep my bearings lightly lubed and hardly hear them.

3 Likes

Yea, i noticed this when i got my OD Legendary Terrarian. It was so quiet that i had trouble telling when it started to slow down. I’m pretty sure this has more to do with the bearing than the yoyo.

1 Like

I lube all my unresponsive bearings the same—clean them then one drop of thin lube and play them responsive for a little while. I know some hybrids are loud like tons of people are on here saying that about the iceberg. I also think some plastics can be loud and maybe it just has to do with the shape and vibrations like how @Chriscatastrophe was talking about. Maybe it’s like resonance like little timpani drums or something I don’t know. I definitely think some yoyos play louder than others regardless of the bearings condition. My narrow plastic 0a and 2a stuff is all quiet so I do think it has to do with the shape.