Does anyone know why the Overthrow is so loud?

What the title says. Is it because of the metal hub that the bearing sits on?

Plastic tends to be louder in my experience. Is it loud relative to other plastic yo-yos you have?

1 Like

I have one from the mystery box and yeah it’s significantly louder than other plastics. It has a really cool floaty feel but it chatters at ya!

editing to add I think it’s because it’s pretty thin walled plastic and so it kind of creates an echo effect in the cup that amplifies the sound it makes. The metal rings throw a lot of weight to the outside and so it seems to just produce more noise as a result of the design and composition.

6 Likes

I agree the Overthrow is significantly louder than my other plastics.

I think it has to do with the design. The metal rings extended out on that piece of thin plastic sort of make it bell-like. I think that plastic resonates in a way that other solid plastics or other hybrids don’t. Also the type of plastic matters. Any of my delrin throws are quiet…poly is louder. My Skyvas are silent…my Replays are “plasticy” but not loud, same with my Wedge. But this thing is loud!

Having said all that. I LOVE the feel of it. It’s extremely stable, floaty and very fun…but…BUT! It sounds cheap, that actually might be enough for someone to give up on it as a cheap throw.

2 Likes

The only thing making the Overthrow tempting to me is the the possibilities of swapping out the shells for custom Higby’s
DSC_0065

6 Likes

Nice, a yoyo that screams fun!

1 Like

Add a super noisy dry cleaned bearing to the mix and… it is PARTY TIME!!

5 Likes

Do these work with the Overthrow? I’d buy one of these in a heartbeat!

It uses the same shells as the 9 Dragons. 20190106_090843

2 Likes

I have an iceberg which is similar (plastic body metal rims) and it is the loudest yoyo I own.

1 Like

Interesting, I did not realize these were literally made from nine dragon shells!

1 Like

That…is exciting. Or I could just paint it myself…I’ve done that kind of work before.

1 Like